Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Question

Currently on my holidays reading Jason Cowley's "the Last Game"

In it he breifly talks about an FA Cup game in 1980 where we won 2-0 away to Harlow that he happened to be watching. It mentions an unnamed black forward for us who was getting a lot of stick from the Harlow fans. Anyone know who it was?

Comments

• Options
    Leroy Ambrose??
  • Options
    Maybe Leroy or Phil Walker
  • Options
    Phil Walker was the only Black player in the 12 that day.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Saturday 22nd November 1980

FA Cup 1st Round

1 Nicky Johns
    2 Steve Gritt
    3 Laurie Madden
    4 Peter Shaw
    5 Les Berry
    6 Dick Tydeman
    7 Colin Powell
    8 Kevin Smith
    9 Derek Hales
    10 Phil Walker
    11 Martin Robinson

Answer = Phil Walker

Also, the programme notes Paul Walsh, Phil Warman, Tony Hazell, Viggo Jacobsen, Johnny Ostergaard, Gary Churchouse, Richard Wilson & Jeff Wood as squad members.

Manager Mike Bailey.

For those of you, in recent years, discussing the worst Charlton players of all time, there's a few candidates here that weren't in the 11 :-)
  • Options
    I've just looked at the programme, 22 Nov 1980. Henry is correct: Phil Walker is listed as no. 10. Rest of team: Johns, Gritt, Madden (L.), Shaw, Berry, Tydeman, Powell, Smith, Hales, and Robinson. There's a clip of Killer's goal on YouTube - somewhere!
  • Options
    yep Phil Walker, one of my earliest memory away games that one
  • Options
    Thanks, a bit before my time this one.
  • Options
    And our number 8 went on to make mallrats and dogma...
  • Options
    I remember being at Filbert Street around the same era and Phil Walker got the winner back when we very rarely won away.
  • Options

Saturday 22nd November 1980

FA Cup 1st Round

1 Nicky Johns
    2 Steve Gritt
    3 Laurie Madden
    4 Peter Shaw
    5 Les Berry
    6 Dick Tydeman
    7 Colin Powell
    8 Kevin Smith
    9 Derek Hales
    10 Phil Walker
    11 Martin Robinson

Answer = Phil Walker

Also, the programme notes Paul Walsh, Phil Warman, Tony Hazell, Viggo Jacobsen, Johnny Ostergaard, Gary Churchouse, Richard Wilson & Jeff Wood as squad members.

Manager Mike Bailey.

For those of you, in recent years, discussing the worst Charlton players of all time, there's a few candidates here that weren't in the 11 :-)

Shaw? Jacobsen? Churchouse?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll exempt Shaw. Yes he was an early candidate, but he did improve.

Jacobsen, Churchouse, Hazell & Wilson would certainly all make the squad for the worst ever, possibly the team, but I won't rake over old discussions.
  • Options

I remember being at Filbert Street around the same era and Phil Walker got the winner back when we very rarely won away.

Ditto. Probably why we remember.
  • Options

Jacobsen, Churchouse, Hazell & Wilson would certainly all make the squad for the worst ever, possibly the team, but I won't rake over old discussions.

When there are no credible rumours to discuss, I'm happy to rake over old discussions. I didn't think Richard Wilson was that bad.

• Options

When there are no credible rumours to discuss, I'm happy to rake over old discussions. I didn't think Richard Wilson was that bad.

Name a positive then. I just remember a small bloke that got knocked off the ball & contributed zilch.
    Division 4 or non league standard. As poor as McCormack, although I don't think you saw him play a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    Well, Wilson did try to get involved. If we are including loan signings, how about the very wonderful Mike Small?
  • Options

I think he was better as Victor Meldrew, but that's football for you.
  • Options

I think he was better as Victor Meldrew, but that's football for you.
    He was certainly taller as Victor Meldrew.

• Options
    Yep, Small would be centre forward, no doubt about that.