Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boycott the Oxford Cup game UNLESS ....

the club actually not only say, but show, that they are taking the cup seriously.

Like many other supporters, I am now seriously p***ed off by our lack of success in the Cups. It's stopped being funny a long time ago. I know many supporters couldn't care less about this cup (and the FA Cup) but to me a run in this cup represents one of our few real chances of success.

So this year it's time the club took this cup seriously. In my opinion, unless they say they are going to do so - and Chris Powell backs that up by playing the first team (and I shall scream if anyone says we need to rest players after only one game) - then I think we should all respond by boycotting the game. If the club can't take the cup seriously, why should we?

OK, stand by to be slaughtered but my patience is rapidly running out by the lack of commitment we show to the cups each year.

Comments

• Options
    No...

Firstly it would lose money for Charlton if we boycott

Secondly i couldn't care less how we do in the cups, it would be nice for a good run but i would be happy for us to take a mixture of experiance + u21's as it would be perfect for them
  • Options
    Same can be said about playing Millwall, when's that going to ever happen again in our lifetime?????
  • Options
    no need to boycott based on attendances previous no one goes anyway
  • Options
    Boycott! No thanks. Looking forward to the game.
  • Options
    you'd think people don't watch football because they enjoy watching the game...
  • Options

the club actually not only say, but show, that they are taking the cup seriously.

Like many other supporters, I am now seriously p***ed off by our lack of success in the Cups. It's stopped being funny a long time ago. I know many supporters couldn't care less about this cup (and the FA Cup) but to me a run in this cup represents one of our few real chances of success.

So this year it's time the club took this cup seriously. In my opinion, unless they say they are going to do so - and Chris Powell backs that up by playing the first team (and I shall scream if anyone says we need to rest players after only one game) - then I think we should all respond by boycotting the game. If the club can't take the cup seriously, why should we?

OK, stand by to be slaughtered but my patience is rapidly running out by the lack of commitment we show to the cups each year.

So you basically want the club to issue a statement saying 'we are going to take the cups seriously'?? Pretty unneccesary and very unlikely to happen. If you dont want to go, dont go.

The COC will be used by teams in the PL and Champ as an opportunity to mix up the U21's and 1st team. If Powell gets the balance right and the team put in the effort then we should be beating teams like Oxford.
  • Options
    So you want the club to start releasing public statements telling Chris Powell who to pick in his teams ?
  • Options
    yeah who cares about promotion, or indeed relegation, cups come first
  • Options
    I share your frustration. In a season like last, when we were generally safe in mid-table, a serious Cup run would have livened up those dull winter months. The performance against Udders, when much of the first team was playing anyway, was truly woeful.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Boycott! No thanks. Looking forward to the game.

This!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How embarrassing it would look if a statement was issued declaring war on the Capital One Cup, only for us to go out in this or the next round.

I see this being about as successful as the attempt to 'boycott' the kiosks at the Palace game!
  • Options

How can they "show it" before a boycott? Are you suggesting all fans wait until the team is announced at 2pm before deciding to buy a ticket?
  • Options
    We did boycott the kiosks by helping ourselves to their wares for free
  • Options
    Fortune, I think you are confusing 'being sh*t in cups' with 'a lack of committment in cups'.

We have no real different approach to the vast majority of other teams. We're are just no good at them.

As for support, there has always been a lack of committment in cups where that is concerned.
  • Options
    I said on the other thread I hope 3 or 4 U21's do play.Part of why I do turn up for these games is watching some youngsters get a chance.

The likes of Sam Ajai,Ade Azzez,Joe Piggot,Jordan Cousins,Michael Smith,Morgan Fox and Kevin Feely need to get their chance this season if they are going to be in and around the first team.When would be a better opportunity?If any of these were to be loaned out I would hope it would be to a club in L1 or L2 so Oxford would be a good test for them.
  • Options
    DRF said:

How can they "show it" before a boycott? Are you suggesting all fans wait until the team is announced at 2pm before deciding to buy a ticket?
    Well, if there was a groundswell of support for a boycott and Powell got to hear of it, he might announce well in advance that the first team would be playing.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Out of interest Fortune 82nd minute, what would your stance be if we absolutely battered Oxford, with a reserve team, hit the post, bar, etc, keeper has a blinder, but we lose to a 90th minute deflection with their only attack of the match?
  • Options
    wonder if bradford were able to focus on the league while getting to a major final?
  • Options
    eldavide said:

Out of interest Fortune 82nd minute, what would your stance be if we absolutely battered Oxford, hit the post, bar, etc, keeper has a blinder, but we lose to a 90th minute deflection with their only attack of the match?

Sickened!

• Options
    wigan are pleased with their Cup Final win
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Even the top prem teams don't appear to give a toss until they get to the semi finals!
    Cup runs are sooo last century!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I didn't go to our cup games last season as I'd got fed up with them after the performance against Preston the season before.

CPs on a bit of a hiding to nothing on this one, what if he puts out a strong team of first teamers and one of them gets injured.

Remember how we struggled to come to terms with Wiggins loss when he was injured last season.

Players being played out of position etc and results taking a tumble.

Cup games should be a chance for CP to blood promising youngsters, I'd still have rather had our season last season than Millwalls one day in the sun, if the season had gone on any longer they'd have slid into League 1, I think with limited resources smaller clubs can't have it both ways.

Put it another way, Arsenal have got used to not winning trophies, so were in good company.
  • Options
    Every club bar the big ones will be relegated sometime so at least wigan have a modern day cup , they made their time in the premier count with two major finals and europe like most teams do when up there for a decent time....
  • Options

I didn't go to our cup games last season as I'd got fed up with them after the performance against Preston the season before.

CPs on a bit of a hiding to nothing on this one, what if he puts out a strong team of first teamers and one of them gets injured.

Remember how we struggled to come to terms with Wiggins when he was injured last season.

Cup games should be a chance for CP to blood promising youngsters, I'd still have rather had our season last season than Millwalls one day in the sun, if the season had gone on any longer they'd have slid into League 1, I think with limited resources smaller clubs can't have it both ways.

Put it another way, Arsenal have got used to not winning trophies, so were in good company.

Remember how we struggled to come to terms with Wiggins when he was injured last season.

But we have won a trophy recently!!
  • Options
    Yeah I know Brendan , I'm proud of the people's cup and League 1 trophy, but mention it to another supporter and they'll laugh you out of town.
  • Options
    I actually agree with the sentiment of the OP, even if the technicalities of a 'boycott' may be difficult/not helpful.

I'm fed up of this attitude that somehow clubs can't 'focus on the league' if they go on a cup run. It's a poor excuse which has been trotted out by managers who have lost cup games in the past, and it somehow seems to have stuck. In a season of 46 league games, an extra half-dozen or so cup games *shouldn't* make that much difference to supposedly 'professional' footballers.

I honestly don't see the point in cup football at all anymore - and it's not just Charlton, everyone is at it.

Clubs want to concentrate on the league because that's where the money is (Premier League, European qualification, etc.), whereas cup football is more for the fans. The sad thing is that clubs have managed to convince fans that finishing in mid-table is more important than winning silverware as well (just look at Arsenal...)

I've faced the fact that Charlton are never going to win the Premier League in my lifetime. They could, however, reach a cup final and even perhaps win if they put their mind to it. Smaller teams have done it. I find it so frustrating that we don't even try.
  • Options
    did the Peoples Cup mean nothing to you lot?
  • Options

Remember how we struggled to come to terms with Wiggins loss when he was injured last season.

I take your points, but there's a good argument for saying the fear of injury in a cup game is an overly cautious stance. Nothing ventured, nothing gained....

• Options

But we have won a trophy recently!!
    I take it you're referring to the mighty Kent Senior Cup!

• Options
    I never get this "we shouldn't play them in case they get injured" stuff. They can get injured in any game or training, these cup games pose no higher risk.