Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

All we need is a striker?

Someone who is consistent, that can score goals and is not injury prone. Will this boost our chances of reaching the prem? Of course other players are in desperate need of, but this is the main position i personally think that will strengthen the squad a little more.

Comments

• Options
    It'll boost our chances but we need a bit more than that if we're going to make those chances realistic I'd say.

Don't forget that a striker with the three attributes you've listed will be one of the most in demand players in football so probably won't come cheap.
  • Options
    Not so sure that.

1. It is all we need. Its a team game and you need 11 good players on the pitch and maybe another 11 good off it to go up.

2. Neither Hull or Cardiff relied on one striker but still went up.

3 "all we need" implies it will be easy to find that striker but as SE9Addicks says everyone else wants that striker so he will most likely cost a lot.
  • Options
    Not disagreeing that we need a goal scorer but we need a bit more creativity too. Foundations are good but probably 3 good players short of being anywhere near autos, but as this season shows a decent run during the season will have you around the playoffs.
  • Options
    I'd add a right winger for creativity as Nug says above. Perhaps that could be Maghoma who we are rumoured to be after?
  • Options
    I think it's too soon to say that Gower has cured our midfield of its weaknesses. Agree that we need a right-winger. I had high hopes for Danny Green; he did well for the Daggers and scored regularly, but doesn't seem able to get past defenders in the Championship.
  • Options
    All we need is love.
  • Options
    I don't think you can play with two wingers in CCC or Prem. Hence I can't understand Waggies departure. R or L you need a forward/winger who can break at pace, support forwards but also defend. Wagstafff did all this, wastouted as a target and will cost money to replace.
  • Options
    We had one of those, but it didn't stop us getting relegated from the Prem. As others have said we need strengthening in other areas before we have a chance of having a tilt at promotion. Personally I think we are a couple of seasons away when the gems in our current squad, plus the u21s combined with some good quality frees over the next two summers gives us the strength in depth to get promoted and have half a chance of staying there.
  • Options
    oh really how about we just tell chrissy powell this and then we r sorted surely
  • Options
    The way we finished last season – I would suggest there wasn’t too much wrong with us- I agree – if we are going to focus on a position – a striker or two ought to be the priority. Then if we lose other players, we need to replace with same or better!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The main reason for our turn around in the last 10 games or so was self belief in my opinion.

The team seemed to fancy themselves against anyone. I thought that was missing during the long winter we suffered.
  • Options
    The main reason we turned our form around was the involvement of harriott
  • Options
    Think we need more than just a striker, but we obviously do need to strengthen upfront given Yann is the only one in at the moment. Be interesting to see what level those signings are at.

If we can afford them, Obika and Simeon Jackson would be good signings imo, but I trust Powell etc to know better than me anyway!
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2013

Don't agree. Added a bit of flair but more often than not was anonymous in second half of games he started. Good player though and is only going to improve.

Complete team effort all season, can't think of any individuals who had a noticeable impact one way or another to be honest.

• Options
    If you want to highlight one player as being responsible for our end of season formthen I'd nominate Hughes, we looked stronger/less porous in central midfield with him in the team, but really it was a team effort.
  • Options

I think you mean Andy Hughes
  • Options
    I think you mean

The arrival of Gower
  • Options
    All we need is love.
  • Options
    I think powelly knows what is needed.
  • Options
    The midfield certainly looked better in the last few games than at any other time ... confidence climbing away from the relegation zone, arrival of old/new faces or a nice easy run in?

Main thing is we have to put in a bid for Obika and fill the gaps left by departing players. I don't know the academy like some on here but I'm not aware of anyone coming through immediately so purchases, free transfers or loans are needed for both improving the first team and cover.

How much to spend and who is really available / wants to sign for us... well probably best we find out when the player(s) is on the OS!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Harriot made a difference at home because he is very direct - even if he doesn't have an amazing game- it creates uncertainty - before that we played too much in front of the defenders looking for 100% guaranteed passes as players were too frightened to get a groan. Harriot is young and just goes for it - what you need at home.

You can't single him out though - Pritchard's work rate and Yann's tireless contribution also stood out for me and the defence were solid too.
  • Options

I think Harriot made a difference at home because he is very direct - even if he doesn't have an amazing game- it creates uncertainty - before that we played too much in front of the defenders looking for 100% guaranteed passes as players were too frightened to get a groan. Harriot is young and just goes for it - what you need at home.

You can't single him out though - Pritchard's work rate and Yann's tireless contribution also stood out for me and the defence were solid too.

Agreed, Muttley. Danny Green disappointed me again because he can't skin defenders like Paddy Powell used to! Defence reasonably solid, but in midfield I need to see more of Gower to be convinced either way. Still waiting on another striker with a track record....