Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Pigott (ed. SIgns new 3 year contract)

edited September 2013 in General Charlton
It has been discussed on here before, that we need a striker with a good goals to game ratio. The answer may lie within with this young man.
Nathan Jones said that he is the best finisher he has ever worked with and that includes Defoe. Added to that fact Andy Hughes said that he would not be surprised if 3/4 players would be pushing for a first team place next season. It would not surprise me if Pigott is given his chance in the friendlies and then lets see what happens. He could not have a much better strike partner to help him through than the big man.

Comments

• Options
    When did Nathan Jones work with Defoe?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It's about time to give some of the cream of the youth players a first team game or two. If you never play them, you never know good they really are as professionals. The season's start is ideal before too many doubts and/or fears for the future might set in. The crowds are expectant and still in 'summery' mood in August & September. Do it then. If the team is doing badly and youngsters are brought in as a last resort, the fans too often expect too much and their doubts and fears are relayed to the young player who can too often go into his shell and suffer a crisis of confidence.
    The youngsters can always be 'replaced' if they fail to come up to the mark. Just look how young Harriotts did so well last season. There is talent amongst the youth and it should be used before it rusts.
  • Options

To be honest that has me stumped as well. I cannot see the connection with Defoe.

• Options

It's about time to give some of the cream of the youth players a first team game or two. If you never play them, you never know good they really are as professionals. The season's start is ideal before too many doubts and/or fears for the future might set in. The crowds are expectant and still in 'summery' mood in August & September. Do it then. If the team is doing badly and youngsters are brought in as a last resort, the fans too often expect too much and their doubts and fears are relayed to the young player who can too often go into his shell and suffer a crisis of confidence.
    The youngsters can always be 'replaced' if they fail to come up to the mark. Just look how young Harriotts did so well last season. There is talent amongst the youth and it should be used before it rusts.

Spot on.

• Options
    Michael Smith deserves a go too as does Azeez.
  • Options
    Harriotts? You're not the commentator for CAFC PLayer are you?! :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Harriotts? You're not the commentator for CAFC PLayer are you?! :)

lol not me .. Freudian slip .. I wish we had more Harriotts to call upon !! (:->) .. is my spelling error your only comment?
  • Options
    I saw Pigott in Tesco at Larkfield a couple of weeks ago - he's a unit!

Ben hugely impressed with him whenever I see him - great with his back to goal, and in the air, and a decent finisher. A bit old school Shearer without being as stocky.

High hopes for the lad
  • Options
    Decent bowler too. Good enough to be with Kent a few years back.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

To be honest that has me stumped as well. I cannot see the connection with Defoe.

Sorry I am an idiot, never trust anything to memory.

http://mobile.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20130507-jones-huddersfield-town-charlton-athletic-811815.aspx?pd=635035441080000000

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    He looks quite tall and slim rather than a unit?
  • Options
    In order i would prefer them to try out:
    Azeez
    Piggott
    Smith

Only as i've heard more about Azeez and he is quick, just needs to work on his finishing. Don't really know enough about Joe Piggott other then a few mentions, but happy for us to give him a good run out and see how he gets on. Could save us a few bob trying one of the 3 above, although 2 big men up front isn't really ideal hency why i'd prefer a speedy striker to play with Yann.

Pretty sure Smith wont cut it really, although he has been there abouts cant see him making above league 1.... although i'd be happy for him to prove me wrong
  • Options
    Disagree that you can't tell if a player is good enough until they've been tried out in the first team. Some players will clearly just not be good enough based on their performance in training and youth matches. Playing in the first team isn't required as confirmation of that in all cases.

Powell has got it spot on with Harriott's development. We saw him for a couple of games at the end of 2010/11 season but he wasn't ready. Didn't feature at all in 2011/12 but hit the ground running as soon as he played in 2012/13. Of course it could be argued that in that case we should've used him earlier, but it's impossible for us to know whether he was in the right frame of mind (as we saw to Wagstaff's detriment when Pardew used him too early) or simply whether he was progressing enough.

Hopefully we'll see the same for one (or more) or Azeez, Piggott and Smith this season.
  • Options
    The big lump Leeds have just signed from Oldham is similar to Smith apart from he has slightly more experience in L1. Although I don't think we would have sent Smith on loan last season to L1 side for the sake of it, can see him being part of first team this season.
    Similar to Azeez, Powell felt fit to send him to Wycombe and Leyton Orient, unfortunatley injury hampered his Leyton Orient spell. Powell wouldn't have sent him out for no reason.
    As for Piggott, I know he scored a hatful for the u18s/u21s but why didn't Powell send him to anyone above Blue Sq South division?
  • Options
    Signed a 3 year deal according to Paul Green on Twitter
  • Options
    harlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 3m
    BREAKING NEWS: Joe Pigott has signed a new three-year deal with the club. #cafc #MadeInCharlton #FeedThePig pic.twitter.com/nap337qPKt
    View photo

Very good news. Well done the board, now get the rest of the key players on deals
  • Options
    I'm still not 100% sold on him to be honest. In the two games I've seen him in (Oxford and Leicester), he did successfully manage to hold the ball up, but I wasn't convinced that he was very 'natural' at doing it. His first touch seems a bit off and he is quite slow.

I don't enjoy bashing a youth product who is now a first team player, but I just don't think he is as much of a 'complete package' as some have suggested.

Very excited about Jordan Cousins though.
  • Options
    Sponsored by Bromley Addicks as well which I believe was the deciding factor in him accepting the deal.
  • Options
    Would benefit from a loan. No good him playing U21 games and 10-15mins every 2-3 weeks for the first team.
  • Options
    only 3 years
    sack the board
    well done Joe
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done Joe.
  • Options

Would benefit from a loan. No good him playing U21 games and 10-15mins every 2-3 weeks for the first team.

Well at the moment he's one of our main strikers, so I'm not sure we have the squad depth to loan him out

• Options
    well done Joe, well done the Board. Would like to see him go on loan till Jan to get some experience.
  • Options

Signed a 3 year deal according to Paul Green on Twitter

Hopefully just the first of many!
  • Options
    The future of the club. Great, great news. Now the same for Cousins and Gomez please.

CafcTom - this boy is ready to be a man for us now. Mark my words.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I'm still not 100% sold on him to be honest. In the two games I've seen him in (Oxford and Leicester), he did successfully manage to hold the ball up, but I wasn't convinced that he was very 'natural' at doing it. His first touch seems a bit off and he is quite slow.

I don't enjoy bashing a youth product who is now a first team player, but I just don't think he is as much of a 'complete package' as some have suggested.

Very excited about Jordan Cousins though.

two games he played all of 10 minutes against Leicester
  • Options
    Excellent - I think Joe could be a great player for us.
  • Options
    He must be the envy of the dressing room with a THREE year contract in his pocket!
  • Options
    Reasonable pace, good in the air, can beat a man. For someone with barely any first team experience he's looking like an exceptional talent. This little crop that we have at the moment is one of the best I've ever seen. It's not implausible that within a couple of years we could see a first team with six or seven homegrown players in it.
  • Options
    It'll be nice for the young man to know that he is appreciated .. this will do his confidence a world of good