Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Photos from my Charlton past

Come across some photos in the attic. Made some digital photographs of them. Hope they come up properly. The Valley as it was in the 1980's, a few away trips from the '70's til 2000. Are you in any of them?image
This is Anglo-Italian cup-game in Brescia; when Charlton played in Europe. 1994.
Last game of the season. A young Lewis Coaches. Plymouth Argyle away 1990.
More to follow at a later date.

Comments

• Options
    Isn't that MCS's brother on the fence in the 2nd pic (with the fetching pink shorts)
  • Options
    I remember being so excited when I got that white away shirt for my (9th) birthday - I must have been a bandwaggon jumper because I'm sure mine had "Viglen" printed on the front. The fact that the away kit was just an inverse of the home kit seemed revolutionary !
  • Options
    Where was the top photo taken ?
  • Options

Isn't that MCS's brother on the fence in the 2nd pic (with the fetching pink shorts)

I recognise him. And the bloke on the left in the first picture. Not sure i ever knew their names though.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I recognise him. And the bloke on the left in the first picture. Not sure i ever knew their names though.
    Giles?
  • Options
    1st photo, 2nd left with round glasses = Andy Lopata.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Yep deffo looks like Morts-Genius in the pink shorts and we were down in Plymouth for the weekend for that one , Union Street (I think) good banter .... Too pissed and long ago to remember what the hell he was wearing but he deffo owned that rare long sleeved away top
    Think pbs and/or threadkiller may have been on that weekender as well
  • Options
    Si's wearing pink shorts.

Close thread !

Great pics LC
  • Options
    And in the top pic, does Andy Tomato feature once with his glasses on, and then again in the top right by the union Jack with his glasses off ?

• Options
    The top picture was at Brescia. Going from the left there is Giles (aka Vinnie), Andy Lopata, unknown (red woolwich shirt), Rich Grove, Roy Wood (side of head), Glen Pritchard (glasses and black leather jacket), unknown (above Glen in front of flag), Guy Ritchie (glasses and red,white and black scarf) and Sam Potter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tucking your football shirt into your jeans is one fashion that will surely never return?
  • Options

Yep deffo looks like Morts-Genius in the pink shorts and we were down in Plymouth for the weekend for that one , Union Street (I think) good banter .... Too pissed and long ago to remember what the hell he was wearing but he deffo owned that rare long sleeved away top
    Think pbs and/or threadkiller may have been on that weekender as well

It's definitely mortsgenius in that pic.
    I wasn't there for the weekend but made a last minute decision to go early Saturday morning.
    Paid some ridiculous train fair to get there and sat drinking grolsh for the first time on the whole journey while boring the crap out of a yank explaining charlton and football to him.
    Met up with oohahh, morts genius, thread killer, cheesesroll and a few others in a pub. My state of spangledness made them all feel sobre. That is all I remember about the day apart from (I think) didn't Andy salako play his only game for us?
  • Options
    Simon Crook in the Woolwich shirt
  • Options
    Well I cannot deny that was me in the picture, haven't got a clue what I was doing at the time as I was very very drunk! Cant even remember owning pink shorts but have still got my long sleeved top somewhere in a case!
  • Options

Well I cannot deny that was me in the picture, haven't got a clue what I was doing at the time as I was very very drunk! Cant even remember owning pink shorts but have still got my long sleeved top somewhere in a case!

that's some get up ;~)
  • Options
    The Brescia picture is from Oct 93 - thats me in the Woolwich top. Thank you for posting, fantastic to see the picture. Airman Brown via the Supporters Club organised coaches to Brescia for £69 for the travel, accomodation and match ticket. Amazing value ! The whole experience is recalled in an edition of VOTV in the weeks after the game, the result was irrelevent ( 2-0 defeat ) it was just a fantastic trip and I can still recall a lot of what happened 20 years later. In terms of the football it was nicknamed "the aggro-Italian cup" due to the robust way the Italians approached the matches. The game was a Tuesday night and we got ferrys back to Dover from Calais on the Thursday morning along with returning England fans from the Holland game (USA 94 qualifying) where Ronald Koeman (not sure of the spelling) should have been sent off then went on to score the opening goal.
  • Options
    And now a couple of older photographs from the 70's and 80's. These 4 soccer fans were among a party of Charlton supporters who travelled down to Brighton on the Leagueliner, a special train run by the league and fitted out at a cost of 3/4 of a million pound. Wonder if any of them still go along to the Valley? Richard Davies, Richard Dann and Brian Harbord and Lewis.
    When all games were away games.......
  • Options
    That black and white one is a quality picture
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I remember being so excited when I got that white away shirt for my (9th) birthday - I must have been a bandwaggon jumper because I'm sure mine had "Viglen" printed on the front. The fact that the away kit was just an inverse of the home kit seemed revolutionary !

You're not wrong, however.....

Three versions of that kit, plain one, Viglen in Charcoal and the rare one Viglen in Turquoise.
  • Options

And now a couple of older photographs from the 70's and 80's. These 4 soccer fans were among a party of Charlton supporters who travelled down to Brighton on the Leagueliner, a special train run by the league and fitted out at a cost of 3/4 of a million pound. Wonder if any of them still go along to the Valley? Richard Davies, Richard Dann and Brian Harbord and Lewis.
    When all games were away games.......

Wow Lewis, you were young once:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i still have the special scarf they did for the LLiner. had a disco on the train and video Tvs all over the show --before anyone had a video recorder.
  • Options
    charscot said:

The top picture was at Brescia. Going from the left there is Giles (aka Vinnie), Andy Lopata, unknown (red woolwich shirt), Rich Grove, Roy Wood (side of head), Glen Pritchard (glasses and black leather jacket), unknown (above Glen in front of flag), Guy Ritchie (glasses and red,white and black scarf) and Sam Potter.

And I reckon i would have been next on the right, Still cant get my 15 minutes of fame :-)
  • Options
    charscot said:

The bloke above Glen was called Nick, can't remember his surname.
  • Options
    Another collection of 90's fashion faux-par's here - Addicks during Italia 90 (me in the Woolwich top), photo taken by Nick Campbell one of the Dundee fans who came with us
  • Options
    Gazza on left how did you get him in the photo

8)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Very goo NLA - It's a lad from Peckham, John Wright, he is still in the army (all of us in the photo were Lance-jacks at the time) and is a Major with 30 years in! I prefer Gazza though