Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leon Mckenzie

So he's now a boxer. Been training with DeGale, good luck to him ! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/22772674

Comments

• Options
    sorry just seen this has been posted already !
  • Options
    He won last night
  • Options
    got the pedigree
  • Options
    Anyone know if it was televised? Wouldn't min seeing if he does have the moves to make a good fighter or if it was luck...
  • Options
    I saw it on SSN. Was over in two rounds so not much to see.
  • Options
    I was there, he was very impressive. Took a vid so will try to get it online at some point.
  • Options
    He's the son of Clinton mckenzie skill won't be a issue prob born to fight
  • Options
    I like the way straight after it was all "we're not after Froch, De Gale etc but anyone outside the Top 15 we'll take on over four rounds". Get the feeling it's more therapy than competitive for Leon which considering his past is probably a good thing.

Good luck to him.
  • Options
    it seems his depression has got hold of him again, hopefully be on the mend again soon and back on the boxing vibe soon enough
  • Options
    shame that nolly he seems a genuine guy the mind is such a powerful thing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leon Mckenzie and Deon Burton were thrown as "super-subs" in that FA Cup game at Northwich Victoria. They were 86 places below us in the in pyramid, and it was shown live on ITV. We lost, 1-0, defeated by a student-cum-part-time-barman. Please do not talk to me about Leon Mckenzie.
  • Options

Leon Mckenzie and Deon Burton were thrown as "super-subs" in that FA Cup game at Northwich Victoria. They were 86 places below us in the in pyramid, and it was shown live on ITV. We lost, 1-0, defeated by a student-cum-part-time-barman. Please do not talk to me about Leon Mckenzie.

cant all be blamed on him!
  • Options
    Yeah let's blame a bloke that was hardly given a chance for us and was rarely fit in either body or mind.

I was at that match and that terrible performance was very much a team one.
  • Options
    Perhaps we would have won if he started.
  • Options
    A lot of people in line to be blamed for the Northwich debacle before you get to McKenzie.

I hope he can get his head right, he's clearly a talented lad with much to offer.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Perhaps we'd have won if we used his boxing skills better!
  • Options
    DRF said:

MrOneLung said:

Knocking "Elbows" Mcleod out might have helped that day!
  • Options
    What's come out to suggest his depression has kicked in again?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    DRF said:

MrOneLung said:

Ha ha! I watched that game against Northwich on the telly at my dear old mother's house in Greenwich. Sunday lunchtime, one-o'-clock kick-off, live on ITV. We could justifiably have been 3-0 down at half-time; our keeper Darren Randolph had kept us in it. My Ma was aged 86, and Northwich were 86 places below us in the leagues - when their 18-year-old part-time barman scored, my Ma didn't understand why I was cheering for him and forsaking Charlton. At the final whistle, the whole town ran on to the pitch in jubilation. Lovely. I pottered along Royal Hill to the Richard the First for a post-mortem with my mate Bill; he had watched it on the box in the Albert - and had walked out at half-time in disgust! In the pub, Ray, Kevin, Martin, Billy and Percy were shaking their heads in disbelief: How can you lose to Northwich Victoria? It was at some point during my fifth pint of Young's Special that the pain began to wear off....

• Options
    cafctom said:

What's come out to suggest his depression has kicked in again?

His management did a Facebook status (which has now been deleted) saying that he is in a 'private place' and if anyone wants to leave him messages to do so on there.

His status before that one a couple days before read: 'Tears behind my smile '
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i really feel for Leon and hope he gets better very soon. I can see how its happened, bloke's built up his life around his first fight and now that's over, the world is suddenly a more open place and I wonder if he can cope with it.
  • Options
    Wish him well.

• Options
    Saw him fight last night at York Hall. Scrapped a draw, slightly luckily imo. Showed some skills as you'd expect given his family but his more experienced opponent hit him with a fair few shots rounds 2 & 3. He's got some cojones though and I hope the boxing helps him deal with his problems somehow.

There was another ex-footballer on the bill, Leo Roget, ex-Southend. Big unit, very fit, got well beaten after showboating and posing. Should stick to ball sports.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

There was another ex-footballer on the bill, Leo Roget, ex-Southend. Big unit, very fit, got well beaten after showboating and posing. Should stick to ball sports.

Thought you couldn't hit below the belt.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Leon claims his first title, whatever an International Masters title is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/31894721

Well played though. Glad he's doing well.