Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barclaycard Football credit card

Anyone else got one of these and been paying 0% interest on their season ticket spend for the last God knows how long? (Technically, I think I'm still paying for Premier League football on mine - and all at 0%!)

Well it seems the day has come. Got a letter from them today saying that the 0% offer is being withdrawn from 31 August. They are still only going to charge 0% interest on the balance for life, but it's still a sad sad day now that little wheeze is over.

If you haven't had your letter yet I thought I'd just give you a heads up.

RIP Barclaycard Football, oh friend of mine.

Comments

• Options
    Got the same letter today a bit of a bummer but nice while it lasted! Think ill hit it for an annual gym membership before August to take advantage of the 0% until paid off!

Makes you laugh how they refer to the Barclaycard platinum that's replacing it as a prestigious card! Absaloutely no perks at all with that card. Ill be closing mine down and going elsewhere. O ly ever used it for my Charlton season ticket.
  • Options
    To be honest, I'm surprised it lasted so long. Didn't it come out when Barclays first sponsored the Premier League? - so well over 10 years now.

Have still got about £2.5k on mine - all on season ticket spend - as have only been paying the minimum amount off each month since day one. If you work that out on a West Stand season ticket then I'm still only now paying for the football I watched about 5 years ago, interest free.

On the downside, I'm gonna get proper depressed when I have to start paying for the Pardew/Parky years!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

To be honest, I'm surprised it lasted so long. Didn't it come out when Barclays first sponsored the Premier League? - so well over 10 years now.

Have still got about £2.5k on mine - all on season ticket spend - as have only been paying the minimum amount off each month since day one. If you work that out on a West Stand season ticket then I'm still only now paying for the football I watched about 5 years ago, interest free.

On the downside, I'm gonna get proper depressed when I have to start paying for the Pardew/Parky years!

I think we're all still paying for that now.
  • Options
    darn it

can we claim vast compensation for all the times they charged us interest?
  • Options
    razil said:

darn it

can we claim vast compensation for all the times they charged us interest?

I got £80 compo out of Barclaycard last month because I had to email them a number of times telling them to take off the interest they'd incorrectly charged me on this card.
  • Options
    Email address?
  • Options
    Did it via the online account thing. Got one of those emails from an Indian call centre offering profuse apologies and telling me that my custom was extremely important to them, but completely missing the point - three times!
  • Options
    Got my letter this week - bit of a bummer, but hey ho. Will have to get a new interest free C/C before it's time to renew next season. Still got about £2k outstanding on mine, but as I've been buying 3 S/Ts on it for about ten years, it's not to bad. Will revert to minimum payment from now on though.

Bit of a family joke that every May statement they charge interst on it and spend at least two hours on the 'phone to some call centre trying to get the interest paid back. Get compo every season (last year got £40 paid back), but only £20 so far this season. I will make sure I complain further on line to see if that can increase.

They always blame CAFC as they don't register these purchase as a Football Club. I always ask the 'advisor' to read who the actual Payee is - when they say Charlton Athletic Football Club the penny suddenly drops.
  • Options
    Good to know there are others out there who got on this. Was a great offer.

It's also slightly reassuring to know that it's not just me that they charge interest to each year! Sometimes it's quickly resolved but last year it took ages and a couple of blunt emails on my part - although, obviously, I was never really going to close the account!
  • Options
    I had interest charge every May for at least the passed 8 years. Although I get the moeny back plus compensation, I do get fed up with being told it will never happen again - yet it does year on year. I even got a letter from a B/C 'Head of UK Customer Support" saying it wouldn't happen this year - but it did.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I get round to it I'll cut and paste the email chain of mine. Read it back yesterday and thought I may have come across a tad rude - I know, unusual for me - but it clearly did the trick. Am normally far too nice about these things.

So, just looking at the posts on this thread, rather than Barclaycard earning any money by charging us interest, they're actually paying us to take out an interest free loan, by way of all this compo they have to keep dishing out.

Brilliant - chalk one up to the little men.
  • Options
    Or not so little in my case :-)
  • Options
    Right - June statement arrives, with the interest I got in May credited to the account, along with £20 for my 'phone calls. So good news.

Then they go and charge me interest again.

So after another long 'phone call to a centre in India, I then get put through to one in Newcastle. They promise me it won't happen again (again) and give me another £20 off my account.

As I had a letter last year saying it wouldn't happen again, I raised it to a full complaint - knowing that it didn't matter as the 0% offer was being removed and I would never buy a ST with it again.

Letter through this moring where they'd carried a full investigation (turns out they charged me interest in 04, 05, 06, 10, 11, 12 and 13 - but somehow not in 07, 08 and 09). This is all because CAFC put the wrong codes on during the transaction.

Bottom line is that they've given me another £30 for 'phone calls and £70 in "recognition of your inconvenience".

So total back just this season on my interest free credit card has been £140.

As Offie said - well worth complaining.
  • Options
    are they legally able to rescind the 0% offer, I'm on the phone to them right now..
  • Options
    razil said:

are they legally able to rescind the 0% offer, I'm on the phone to them right now..

They've not rescinded it. I still have about £1,400 on the account, it's just interest free for life and I will continue to pay the minimum amount each month,

They've just stopped extending me further credit on the card.

Just bought 8 STs on another 18 month interest free CC from that nice Spanish Bank.