Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v NZ 1st One Dayer - Lords

NZ have won the toss & have decided to bowl, due to the cloudy conditions this morning & sunshine due this afternoon. Bizarrely England would have done the same (even though they ignore weather forecasts) :-)

Comments

• New red ODI kit? Very nice, better than the Millwall blue they used to wear. ;-)
  • edited May 2013
    Luke Ronchi (the NZ keeper) makes his debut for New Zealand, but not his international debut having previously played in an Aussie tour of West Indies in 2008.

Can anyone explain how that's possible? Are the rules of cricket not as strict as football? Could SA steal Trott for example?
  • The way qualification in cricket works is a little different than in football. You're not tied to a single country, however you can't continually swap. So Trott for instance could play for SA, but I think there has to be a 3 year gap since his last game for England.

Of course the system is rigged a little. If you play for a minor nation (Ireland, Canada, Holland, etc.) then you can be pinched by a major cricketing nation (assuming you qualify) immediately, but the 3 year wait is enforced if you then want to go back and play for your original country.

Ed Joyce is a good example, played for Ireland, qualified for England so made the step up. Played a few games and then discarded, had to wait 3 years before he could play for Ireland again.
  • Makes sense, cheers. :-)

22-0 after 5 overs.
    Cook 11(17)
    Bell 10(13)
  • 45-0 after 10 overs
    Cook 25(36)
    Bell 18(24)
  • Bell c Ronchi b Southee 18(26)

45-1
  • Cook c Ronchi b Southee 30(45)

50-2
  • 81-2 after 20 overs
    Trott 15(27)
    Root 16(22)
  • Wow, Ronchi is an Aussie, played for WA for years so am very surprised he is playing for NZ.
  • 123/4
  • Sponsored links:

• England 227-9 off 50 overs

NZ 146-3 off 31 overs

81 needed from 114 balls.
  • Oh close. Stick my neck Out And say we win by 6 Runs
  • NZ 187-5

41 to win from 54

Guptill 86(107)
    Franklin 1(2)
  • edited May 2013
    34 to win from 48

21 to win from 42
  • 13 off Dernbach's last over (as expected) :-(
  • 13 to win from 36
  • 6 to win from 30
  • 5 to win from 24
  • Just let it go :-)
  • 1 to win from 21, Guptill on strike on 99.
  • Sponsored links:

• NZ 231-5.

Win by 5 wickets with 19 balls to spare.

Guptill 103*
  • My son went with his school coach to and from school,£25 what good value. He said him and his mates were playing cricket with a young lad at the nursery end when the lads dad told it was time to go, said dad was Michael Vaughan.
  • I was there. Very lacklustre England performance when batting, bowling (except Jimmy A) and fielding. Kiwis much sharper and more positive all round. Still a good day though.
  • We never scored enough runs. Anderson & Swann were excellent, but I think we really missed Broad & Finn.
    Woakes & Dernbach were nowhere near accurate enough. Bresnan was ok. I suppose it shows you how good the top bowlers are, as you really see the difference in quality, when they're not playing.
  • We never scored enough runs. Anderson & Swann were excellent, but I think we really missed Broad & Finn.
    Woakes & Dernbach were nowhere near accurate enough. Bresnan was ok. I suppose it shows you how good the top bowlers are, as you really see the difference in quality, when they're not playing.

true but the batsman didn't do their jobs, making it hard for them. Woakes is a decent all rounder, Dernbach isn't good enough.