Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Epsom Derby

Going on Saturday, in the big field in the middle so bound to pee down.

Anyone been before ? Any tips, what station best etc etc

Comments

• Options
    You can either get a cab or bus up from Epsom station, or walk from Tattenham Corner (about a mile) or Epsom Downs (about mile and a quarter, over the golf course so wear appropriate shoes). Just follow the crowds whatever way you go. Expect it to be very busy (worst commuter nightmare), especially on the way home. From the infield, it's often best to watch the race on the giant TV screen, unless you are lucky and get a rail place to watch from. They will scoot by quickly wherever you stand. Do not throw toilet rolls, hats, losing betting slips, or anything else at the horses!

Good luck!
  • Options
    Going on Friday with work. Never been before so very excited!
  • Options
    Oaks Day is much better than Derby Day, as only about a tenth of the punters but same amount of bookies. Also is Ladies day, so if the weather is good it's more fun!!!
  • Options
    Going on Friday, only as I accidentally planned to see Green Day on Saturday instead.

Get there very early (around 11) to get a spot
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Will be there on Friday, supposed to be sunny and 21. Leaving The Foresters at 9.
  • Options
    Also Tattenham Corner is the best station and the fastest to get from/to London. Heading down from New Cross Gate on Friday as it's much easier/faster than going from New Eltham
  • Options
    been once, when Dettori won it.

good day but so rammo it becomes annoying.
  • Options
    And if Magician is entered for the big race, then will be hard to beat.
  • Options
    Get on Banoffee for the Oaks, can get 7/1 on PaddyPower and 9/1 on Will Hill. It was 12/1 at one stage a few days ago.
  • Options
    My missus has been a good few times but did say the crowds were huge and getting the train was a nightmare, so always been a bit put off to be honest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tattenham Corner is best. It's a short walk to the start of the course & then you're walking alongside the course.
    Remember to take your ticket (I left mine at home last year).
  • Options
    I will be there Saturday for 11th year running, becoming more and more rammed each year. Great day out, i fancy Dawn Approached to get turned over by either, Magician, if entered or the French colt.

Hope the weather is kind, its rotten if it pi$$es down all day!
  • Options
    Weather looks fine & no sign of rain on Friday or Sunday onwards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2649957
  • Options
    Excellent
  • Options
    Watch out for the pikeys selling " lucky " heather. They will damn you to hell if you don't buy any. However happy punting.
  • Options
    sralan said:

Watch out for the pikeys selling " lucky " heather. They will damn you to hell if you don't buy any. However happy punting.

Never had that in the past 3 times I've been. I've won my stake money from doing a free bet on Paddy Power, can't complain..I won't be at a loss what so ever
  • Options
    Used to go when it was on a Wednesday, lost a lot of appeal on a Saturday, Magician was very impressive in Irish 2000 on Saturday just gone, be surprised if he runs not sure he will get the trip,fancy the Burke horse each way, the Dante is a good trial.But the fav is a good horse.
  • Options
    Moth in The Oaks
    Dawn Approach in The Derby
  • Options

Used to go when it was on a Wednesday, lost a lot of appeal on a Saturday, Magician was very impressive in Irish 2000 on Saturday just gone, be surprised if he runs not sure he will get the trip,fancy the Burke horse each way, the Dante is a good trial.But the fav is a good horse.

The Bugle Horn used to do a run out there on a Wednesday. Used to set up by the 5F marker.
    Beer pumps, keg of curry, steak on barbeque, generators and TV, even a hole in the ground dug for a khazi.

Used to pay extra so the pensioners went for free.

Good pub and good landlord.
  • Options
    Have to go for Gifted Girl in the 1:35 on Friday, was 15/2 earlier
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Am on an open top bus from Beckenham for the first time. leaves at 9am. Bar and Bacon sarnies from 8am....might end up in The Priory.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Done my provisional list of horses for friday:

1:35- Gifted Girl
    2:10- Tres Coronas
    2:45- Gregorian
    3:20- Toto Skyllachy
    4:00- Banoffee
    4:45- Here Comes When
    5:20- You Da One

• Options
    Right, so come on then, get your tips out!! I know a fair amount about jumps racing so seem to do alright at Cheltenham etc, however I have no clue about Flat racing so any tips for tomorrow would be greatly appreciated!! I could really do with winning some money!
  • Options

Right, so come on then, get your tips out!! I know a fair amount about jumps racing so seem to do alright at Cheltenham etc, however I have no clue about Flat racing so any tips for tomorrow would be greatly appreciated!! I could really do with winning some money!

Follow my ones and you can't go wrong, I usually do alright at Epsom, apart from last year when I didn't win a single thing
  • Options

Follow my ones and you can't go wrong, I usually do alright at Epsom
    I hear the course bookies are all bringing an extra bag of 20p pieces just in case....
  • Options

Follow my ones and you can't go wrong, I usually do alright at Epsom
    I hear the course bookies are all bringing an extra bag of 20p pieces just in case....
    Got £5 to stake for each race ;)
  • Options
    On the tap water all day Nathan?
  • Options

On the tap water all day Nathan?

I don't buy drinks there, too over priced
  • Options
    Surely you can afford the odd bottle of champagne with your winnings ;-)
  • Options
    sralan said:

Surely you can afford the odd bottle of champagne with your winnings ;-)

Don't like Champers ;-)