Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cosmetic Improvement

Something I'd like to see doen over the summer that would really liven up the look of the stadium would be to address the walls either side of the lower north stand. They are currently painted red with paint peeling. Would be great if we could have a mural of Charlton heroes painted on each side. We must have enough fans who have the required skills who would be willing to do for a cheap rate or simply volunteer. You would need a talented drawer or two and less talented fillers. Wouldn't it look cool with Bartram, Curbishley, Welsh, Summers, Peacock, Johns, Hales, Lee, Rufus, Superclive, Kinsella, Robbo, Chrissy, Bent and JJ up there.

Comments

• Options
    Don't forget Seth Plum.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Perhaps this is something the Trust can help with?
  • Options
    I'm not too bad at drawing...have done a few large murals.
  • Options
    "We must have enough fans who have the required skills who would be willing to do for a cheap rate or simply volunteer."
    They probably thought this when they asked for help clearing the snow...
  • Options
    I remember seeing a documentary (I think it was on the South Bank Show) about how Werner Tübke made the World's biggest oil painting. Basically he composed small images on slides and then projected them onto a wall. He then had an army of volunteers (I believe his volunteers were art students) to draw the outlines on the wall and then fill it in painting by numbers style. I'm sure if we could find one person to come up with the design (maybe Maybe Baby), we'd get enough volunteers to help with the brushwork. Especially if those people were credited within the mural.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWiFCdaLYKs
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Perhaps this is something the Trust can help with?

The Trust, or the trust?
  • Options
    Stig said:

I'm sure if we could find one person to come up with the design (maybe Maybe Baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmopSVOMSsU
  • Options
    the other Trust.
  • Options
    I'm confused as to what trust you're talking about. At first I thought the Supporters Trust, because perhaps it would be a reasonable achievement for them to campaign for. Then I wondered, perhaps the Community Trust because they might have access to budding artists at the college.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I was thinking something like this. Maybe we could do it with photo images.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We could think up some more Pardew slogans to print on there?
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Stig said:

I'm sure if we could find one person to come up with the design (maybe Maybe Baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmopSVOMSsU
    I couldn't do that sort of artwork plus it may not be popular with everyone...but then again I could be wrong.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Stig said:

I remember seeing a documentary (I think it was on the South Bank Show) about how Werner Tübke made the World's biggest oil painting. Basically he composed small images on slides and then projected them onto a wall. He then had an army of volunteers (I believe his volunteers were art students) to draw the outlines on the wall and then fill it in painting by numbers style. I'm sure if we could find one person to come up with the design (maybe Maybe Baby), we'd get enough volunteers to help with the brushwork. Especially if those people were credited within the mural.

I have done "The charge of the light brigade" and "The birth of Venus" also some originals. I usually go with a one inch grid on a transparency then multiply to suit area to be painted. I'm too far away to have daily input, but would be happy to do whatever design and give support over the course of the work.

• Options
    I thought this was going to be a thread about nips and tucks.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I think its a triffic idea.. There are plenty of areas that could do with something like this. I have no idea what it would take or how to maintain it though.

Also think we could refresh some of the walls outside in local streets too

My only experience of murals is the one outside the old gdh, which when I was involved with the East Greenwich Liveabilty scheme (a chance for locals to decide how some European money was spent - it having been identified as an area needing such investment) I was one of those calling for it to be saved and it was resurrcted on a wall next to a little green nearby, and more of a sculpture. I went to nursery there so knew it well. I believe it was done on tiled sections which might be a good idea in this case so could be taken down if needed e.g if the ground were redeveloped.
  • Options
    Just needs a lick of paint.

Don't like the idea of murals.
  • Options
    Murals are great.
  • Options
    Sounds a great idea--maybe we can also have a new Charlton flag on the East Stand flagpole--looks very tatty.As do the hand-rails on the steps down from the Bartram entrance.Would make a big difference to see the ground cared for rather than slipping into a neglected state.I know it's costly but it has to be done at some stage.Please.
  • Options
    Personally would love to have flags all along the west roof
  • Options
    carl cashman all day long.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can't upload pics of my work, the only thing I have on a website is a restaurant sign.
    http://bistroandwinebar.weebly.com
  • Options
    I like the sound of this very much, gets a thumbs up from me.
  • Options

Stig said:

I have done "The charge of the light brigade" and "The birth of Venus" also some originals. I usually go with a one inch grid on a transparency then multiply to suit area to be painted. I'm too far away to have daily input, but would be happy to do whatever design and give support over the course of the work.

Can you help put a proposal together in terms of material costs and time to complete? I am sure the club would be open to the idea for a variety of reasons ... especially cost and symbolism
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'd be delighted to, I have some experience of pricing.

• Options
    Would be good if we could have the big Charlton badge replaced in the west lower that is all scuffed and broken. In terms of the North lower I think its a superb idea. I do know there are some websites where you can get the stickers made up (like for vans etc) and these could go over the new red paint job.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

This.

Please don't put a mural on those walls. When it flakes a few years down the line it will look horrendous. Just paint it red.

If you want to do murals, the wall on the east stand concourse would be better.

• Options
    Off_it said:

I agree. Im sure there are other walls you can use, if you are a wannabe Tony Hart/Rolf Harris.

• Options
    shirty5 said:

Off_it said:

I agree. Im sure there are other walls you can use, if you are a wannabe Tony Hart/Rolf Harris.

Not sure anyone would admit to being a wanna be Rolf these days
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I have just been speaking to my Dad on this, I believe the club, as they have done in previous years, will be asking for volunteers to come along and paint these Outside areas mentioned railings, gates etc (Red paint Only though). Keep an eye on the Club Website as a message will go out on there asking for people to help. I know it's unpaid work but I am sure the club will look after those who do volunteer in other ways as a thank you.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Had a little doodle this morning...Hales shaking hands with Yann looks pretty cool in a Banksy style way. The contrast of rough and ready bearded Hales opposite the elegant stance of Yann is quite a powerful image. Only my opinion, but maybe others would also like.

Dons tin hat and retires :-)