Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is your current/past Charlton superstitions?

I've had a few over the years. Today made me think of this, at Wembley I wore a white t-shirt under my cafc shirt. This would go on to be worn at every game after that.

The prem years I strangely had a small lucky frog key ring that came with me to all games, I lost it the season we went down.
Currently have a lucky pare of pants from our storming league one season.

Also tried so many different pubs before the home games and different walks to the ground.

I know this behaviour does nothing for the results, but it would not be footy without us doing this.

There must be stranger ones out there!

Comments

• Options
    Don't bet on us, ever !
  • Options
    I type SISS on the match thread and light up a fat one.
  • Options
    All our troubles began when I could no longer light up a lucky cigarette if we were losing
  • Options
    When I take the dog for a walk on a Saturday I have to 'score' a goal by kicking a tennis ball under a bench in a clearing in the woods without the dog stopping it.
  • Options
    Only change which turnstile I enter if we lose, I also cross over the stairs differently until we win. Obviously change nothing on a winning streak!
  • Options
    I had a lucky england baseball cap wore it the whole season we first went up to prem

I lost it on way to the villa game when browny went in goal
  • Options

I had a lucky england baseball cap wore it the whole season we first went up to prem

wish a video of brownie in goal was on the net!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ransom Walk, always go through the right hand tunnel both ways. Have been known to switch to left occasionally though when I'm desperate for a result after a bad run...
  • Options
    edited May 2013

wish a video of brownie in goal was on the net!
    Am searching KA, found this so far......

http://cafc.digital-ink.co.uk/personality.ink?page=7628

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rnq6AX257Q

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/fa_carling_premiership/338588.stm

• Options
    1) Always wear the same clothes to every match even if it means that my trainers are falling to pieces, i still wear them.
    2) Always catch the same trains from Basingstoke and try to sit in the same carriage and the same seat.
    3) Sit in the same seat and drink the same beer in the liberal club if were on a winning home run.
    4) Hadnt been in the valley cafe for a breakfast all season prior to the bolton game, started going in there again after that win and we won all our home games since (so change in home form is down to me guys).
    5) If were on a bad run, before i leave for the match i watch the 98 play off final, well bits off it, and we usually win, it doesnt work if were in a winning run so i have stopped doing that.

Do you think i have a problem lol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

1) Always wear the same clothes to every match even if it means that my trainers are falling to pieces, i still wear them.
    2) Always catch the same trains from Basingstoke and try to sit in the same carriage and the same seat.
    3) Sit in the same seat and drink the same beer in the liberal club if were on a winning home run.
    4) Hadnt been in the valley cafe for a breakfast all season prior to the bolton game, started going in there again after that win and we won all our home games since (so change in home form is down to me guys).
    5) If were on a bad run, before i leave for the match i watch the 98 play off final, well bits off it, and we usually win, it doesnt work if were in a winning run so i have stopped doing that.

No, I don't think you've got a problem, Chippy; you've obviously got special powers. If (when!) we hit a losing streak next season perhaps I should come down to Basingstoke on a Saturday morning and follow your winning routine from there...

• Options
    I stand at the top of charlton heights the night before the game. after a moments silence i start to hum the tune of Take Thats "never forget" while lighting a candal and placing it on the pavement.
  • Options

No, I don't think you've got a problem, Chippy; you've obviously got special powers. If (when!) we hit a losing streak next season perhaps I should come down to Basingstoke on a Saturday morning and follow your winning routine from there...

Youde be more than welcome

• Options
    Theres a few more.

I take the same pen, reading glasses, carrier bag with charlton on it, and buy my programme from the same seller, usually one of the girls outside the club shop.
  • Options
    My dad bought me a Charlton scarf at my first home game in the early 90's. I took it with me for while, then sort of grew out of it after a couple of years.

A few years later I took it to the play-off final. For some reason completely unbeknownst to me, just before kick off I held it over my face and and said "Come on, mate".

That became a ritual for several straight years after. Once I hit my 20's I grew out of that, but not totally - the ritual still makes an appearance at any really big games/games I'm s***ing myself about... although at 31 years old, I do make more of an effort to make sure whoever's next to me doesn't hear me, you know, talking to a tatty old scarf.
  • Options

Do you wash these clothes ? What about your underpants ?
  • Options
    Yes of course i wash them, even if we have a game on a tuesday after a saturday match.
  • Options
    Thank God for that :-)
  • Options
    Won't bore you with all my weird & wonderful superstitions.

Suffice to say they include undergarments, bananas, humbugs and the way I cross my legs.....
  • Options
    The first piss i have in the ground is always to the furthest right of the trough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wore my 'lucky' pair of boxer shorts to the Swindon play off Semi-final. They haven't been worn since.
  • Options
    Fanny u are a dirty little minx really aint ya

Bananas nawty knickers trying to keep your legs crossed with those two could be difficult
  • Options
    Got a few small ones, the main one being using gate 31 until we lose a home game, then 32, 33, etc.
    A few years back I had to go back to the start.......
  • Options

Fanny u are a dirty little minx really aint ya

Bananas nawty knickers trying to keep your legs crossed with those two could be difficult

I'm mortified you've drawn that conclusion from a totally innocent description of what I do every Saturday to help the lads on the pitch......

• Options
    My superstition is never look at the Kent score if fanny has posted within previous hour.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

My superstition is never look at the Kent score if fanny has posted within previous hour.

Lol !

• Options
    edited May 2013

Suffice to say they include undergarments, bananas, humbugs and the way I cross my legs.....

I can confirm all of this, as I sat next to her for 6 years in the East Stand :-) (Well most of it anyway).
  • Options
    scruffle said:

Only change which turnstile I enter if we lose, I also cross over the stairs differently until we win. Obviously change nothing on a winning streak!

This
  • Options
    Same route to The Valley, same comment by my son as we pass the barracks about his granddad shooting down one of our planes during the war, park if possible in the same place. Also, when I decide not to do something I sometimes suddenly think 'if I don't do it we'll lose on Saturday' so have to change my mind!

Then of course there's my dad's 'lucky' Cup rattle: worked its magic once in '47 but since then.........
  • Options

I can confirm all of this, as I sat next to her for 6 years in the East Stand :-) (Well most of it anyway).
    Is that you, Joe ????