Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Froch v Kessler II

Comments

• Options
    Not a big boxing fan, but saw that in the pub last night, great fight.
  • Options
    An amazing contest between two strong, brave and skilful boxers. I reckon the ref would have stopped it near the end, if it hadn't have been the last round. Kessler was wobbling a lot. Glad he didn't though. They both deserved for the fight to go the full distance.
  • Options
    I would never Boo him or a national anthem. It sounded really bad and totally classless imo.

Cheering him after the fight is easy when our Man won. It would have been that eerie arena Silence if kessler had knocked him out.

• Options
    Carter about right but you never no in the uk saying that I would expect ward to win still great win tonight from Froch he entertains like no other but so many hard fights I wouldn't write Hopkins off he is a dangerous man and he's last win was brilliant
  • Options
    Also how do you go about booing the Danish national anthem you must be a proper mug
  • Options
    Just watched it again this morning. Able to watch a little more relaxed and take in again what a superb contest this was. The two of them can be proud that they gave it all, entertained in the right way and showed the utmost respect to each other.

Would love to see them meet again. Wonder whether the lack of rounds in the last couple of years cost Kessler a little there. Wonderful sportsmen.
  • Options
    Great night of boxing last night.

Love Froch but think he will struggle against ward again unless he goes all out and hammers him.

Really good venue the 02. Would be good if football clubs could implement the blokes with the beer backpacks walking round as makes it a doddle getting served even when busy.
  • Options
    nolly said:

Also how do you go about booing the Danish national anthem you must be a proper mug

There was some utter utter pond life there last night mate. Big events like this always seem to bring out a special kind of tosspot you dont get a smaller events like york hall. Lots of bandwagon jumping peasants rather than true boxing fans.
  • Options
    Well that didn't disappoint did it!. Cracking fight between 2 rock hard warriors in the ring and genuine nice guys out of the ring. Loved it
  • Options
    edited May 2013

nolly said:

There was some utter utter pond life there last night mate. Big events like this always seem to bring out a special kind of tosspot you dont get a smaller events like york hall. Lots of bandwagon jumping peasants rather than true boxing fans.
    That's why I never go. Really fancied this fight, but you just know the evening would be ruined by pricks who think they're extras in Snatch. Not sure where Froch goes from here. Fghting Hopkins or Ward are both risky, and he'd be on a hiding to nothing with either because there's no way he can make himself look good against either of them and he could potentially lose against them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He'd beat Hopkins, no chance with Ward I'm afraid
  • Options
    Did you see Hopkins last fight against Cloud? Looked better than he has for about ten years!

Horrible fighter to look good against, it would be at a catchweight too which makes little difference to Hopkins but gives away a lot of frochs natural advantage at 12stone
  • Options
    Whole fight there with HBO commentary including ward. Much more insightful imo
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Who do the experts like Nolly consider better, Calzhage or Froch?

For me Calzhage was the better boxer but Froch is one warrior and I think a fight between the two at their peak would have been a classic. My money would go on Calzhage.

I know Froch was disappointed that Joe retired and never fought him.

It would be interesting to hear who Kessler considers the better as he fought both of them.
  • Options
    Calzaghe was the better boxer but ruined his legacy by staying in the UK and fighting nobodies (outside of Hopkins and Kessler)

Froch is a bit worse technically, but a lot more heart and bravery, takes on all comers and has the better resume.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    LenGlover said:

For me Calzhage was the better boxer but Froch is one warrior and I think a fight between the two at their peak would have been a classic. My money would go on Calzhage.

It would be interesting to hear who Kessler considers the better as he fought both of them.

By no means an expert but Calzaghe all the way. He beat everyone and every style put in front of him. Defended his title for a decade a feat that won't be matched again I imagine.

Froch is great and one of my favourite ever fighters but I think Joe is a one off and a true boxing legend that doesn't get the recognition his career deserves, particularly in the US.
  • Options
    No expert either but agree with rodders and most ex fighters in the super middle agree but i have changed on one thing froch is more entertaining and a real risk taker, ward calling out joe tells you all you need to no about how great joe was even though retired 4 years ago and 41
  • Options

LenGlover said:

By no means an expert but Calzaghe all the way. He beat everyone and every style put in front of him. Defended his title for a decade a feat that won't be matched again I imagine.

Froch is great and one of my favourite ever fighters but I think Joe is a one off and a true boxing legend that doesn't get the recognition his career deserves, particularly in the US.
    He doesn't get recognition because he hid away and refused to fight the American fighters in their prime, instead waited until the likes of Roy Jones were way past their best.
  • Options
    what about hopkins who just beat cloud? and jones avoided coming to the uk for joe and of course is famous for avoiding collins
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2013

LenGlover said:

He doesn't get recognition because he hid away and refused to fight the American fighters in their prime, instead waited until the likes of Roy Jones were way past their best.
    Common misconception. He fought and absolutely destroyed Lacey who the yanks were lauding as the next Tyson.

A lot of fights didnt happen for him because of promoters on either side not getting it together. As Eubank said why should he travel to the US...he is the champion it is down to the world to come to him.

He went to the states at end of his career and did the business there. 46 fights 46 wins. World champion for 10 years. You dont get that by hiding and swerving fights.
  • Options
    nolly said:

what about hopkins who just beat cloud? and jones avoided coming to the uk for joe and of course is famous for avoiding collins

Hopkins wasn't a clear victory. But of course he deserves praise for that.

Roy Jones is guilty of avoiding people, but Calzaghe did as well. Half of the fighters Calzaghe defended his title against didn't deserve it.
  • Options
    agree he did have a good few years beating average fighters one called tucker pudvil or something, i think for pure boxing class nothing beats the lacy fight who at the time was touted as the next best thing, he had broken hands so changing to the slapping style made him less a puncher but when he was injury free he hit as hard if not harder than froch
  • Options
    How proud must micheal smyth feel being the last guy to beat him
  • Options
    Good documentary about him made a few fights before his retirement and includes his utter demolition of Lacey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhSxpemf838
  • Options
    Calzaghe was a classy fighter but he makes a lot of excuses in his book and for me injuries did hold him back a bit in his peak but he was fine to fight the sakio bikas and peter manfredos when clinton woods and howard eastman were fighting bigger names.

Froch has always put a lot of pressure on himself and backed himself. I respect froch more and that is a shame im saying that when their was a guy who retired undefeated and was world champ for a decade
  • Options
    That Calzaghe performance against Lacy was the best performance - not the best fight, but the best performance - I have ever seen. Absolute perfection from start to finish.
  • Options
    Yeah difficult to argue with that. Complete performance
  • Options
    I stick to the conclusion we will never really know

Joe could bang and he certainly had style and ooozed class

All fighters have to go to the US to prove themselves champions included

There was just a nagging doubt that we will never really know as has been said above others took the more difficult fights

To me its not about unbeaten records its about fighting the best fighters at the time no matter what or where

I think joe wouldve danced around Froch and pitter patted his head for fun

However if Froch wouldve somehow managed to overcome the great footwork of joe and cornered him then he wouldve took the chance and knocked him into next week

I still think Froch is better and better fir boxing because he will fight anyone anywhere and is not afraid to lose in doing so

• Options
    Whole fight is being shown on SS2 now if anyone missed it