Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Greatest Charlton Tackle

No Fanny/ Curb-It, that is not what I mean ;-)

@Kentaddick just highlighted Steve Brown's tackle in the play off final as possibly the greatest ever for Charlton. I thought about Rufus' one away at Spurs when he'd just come back from serious injury. Any other contenders? What about against us, or do we just forget those?

Comments

• That Costa tackle against Chelsea at home was something very special indeed.
  • edited May 2013
    Steve Brown in the playoff final certainly the most memorable. Rufus came up with some ludicrous tackles at times!!

More generally, I liked the way Mortimer would slide in and tackle but the ball would stop dead, wedged under his foot - coming away from the tackle with the ball and the opponent on the floor.
  • Youds on Bergkamp. December 1998. Gooners I know still get the ump about that tackle now.
  • Rufus away at Spurs when SCP scored the winner.
  • Sollys away at cardiff this season was pretty special
  • yep gotta be Rufus at WHL for me. Been out injured a while, first game back, didn't hold back though. Went straight through the player taking the ball as clean as a whistle. Legend.
  • There's a Richard Rufus tackle at home to QPR in the Championship (possibly 2-1 home win in 96/97) that I'll always remember, although it never gets mentioned so I'm starting to think I must have imagined it. One of theirs, possibly Gavin Peacock, was clean through with a 7 or 8 yard head start on Rufus and no other defenders in sight. The 8 yards turned into nothing in a split second and then followed a perfectly timed sliding tackle that was cheered like a goal by the Covered End.
  • Besides Brown's tackle against Sunderland, next best has to be Kishishev on Ronaldo when he took him clean out at about 100mph
  • Nicholas said:

Besides Brown's tackle against Sunderland, next best has to be Kishishev on Ronaldo when he took him clean out at about 100mph

Which one, though, Nicholas? Didn't he do that about seven times?

• lol thats true. the one by the that was close to the corner flag by the covered end, tunnel side.
  • Sponsored links:

• As soon as I saw the thread the Rufus tackle played in my head, but the Brown Vs. Sunderland tackle was far mor important, yet equally as bone-crunching!
  • Jorge Coasta v spurs, may have been his first game for us not sure. 50/50 ball in midfield Costa v Tim Sherwood. The tank strolled away with the ball while sherwood was still hurtling in a great arc through the air. Hard & classy Jorge.
  • Jorge Coasta v spurs, may have been his first game for us not sure. 50/50 ball in midfield Costa v Tim Sherwood. The tank strolled away with the ball while sherwood was still hurtling in a great arc through the air. Hard & classy Jorge.

And think it was just after that the Jorge Costa song got its first airing....

• Me and my brother still talk about a couple of Scott Parker tackles. One was against Everton (I think) just before half time. He rattled the player so hard he ended up doing a headstand, and didn't reappear for the second half. I can't remember who the second one was against, but he went in from behind and the player ended up arched over the top of him. Scotty got up, leaving the player in the same position for what seemed like an age. Properly wiped out.
  • MrLargo said:

There's a Richard Rufus tackle at home to QPR in the Championship (possibly 2-1 home win in 96/97) that I'll always remember, although it never gets mentioned so I'm starting to think I must have imagined it. One of theirs, possibly Gavin Peacock, was clean through with a 7 or 8 yard head start on Rufus and no other defenders in sight. The 8 yards turned into nothing in a split second and then followed a perfectly timed sliding tackle that was cheered like a goal by the Covered End.

Remember that. One minute Peacock was through, then Rufus came through like a rapier and took the ball clean as a whistle. Peacock looked totally bewildered by it all, we were used to it by then.

• Johnny Robinson against Ipswich. Marcus Bent had put them 2-0 up after 5 minutes and Johnny nearly killed the Ipswich left back with a flying late lunge. A big fight followed and after we came back to win 3-2 Robinson said he thought we were a bit flat so i did it to gee the lads up
  • Billy Bonds and Frank Haydock could crunch bones all day back in the 1960's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is footage of the Rufus one out there? Immense! !
  • Mark Fish tackle on Thierry Henry which was incorrectly ruled as a foul and subsequently a penalty in the 4-2 match against Arsenal at Highbury. Perfectly executed!
  • shirty5 said:

Youds on Bergkamp. December 1998. Gooners I know still get the ump about that tackle now.

This one. I used to see Youds in my local and talked about this tackle. He said it was this that gave Bergkamp his fear of flying.
  • Billy Bonds and Frank Haydock could crunch bones all day back in the 1960's.</blockquot

Along with Peter Reeves a little later.

• No Fanny/ Curb-It, that is not what I mean ;-)

@Kentaddick just highlighted Steve Brown's tackle in the play off final as possibly the greatest ever for Charlton. I thought about Rufus' one away at Spurs when he'd just come back from serious injury. Any other contenders? What about against us, or do we just forget those?

Just clicked on this thread with the intention of saying " Dion Dublin..(allegedly)except he didn't play for Charlton !" and then read your post !

Spolisport ! But great minds !

• Kinsella, 3 tackles in 2 seconds in play off away v Ipswich. The hairs on my neck still stick up evertime I see it. A true Charlton legend.

"Kin, Kin Kinsella"
  • The word from my nephew who was mascot at a recent home match is that Yann's tackle is very impressive! I shall say no more!
  • ..........Steve Brown's tackle V Sunderland all the way for me.
  • I know you too well, Fanny... ;-)

Mind you, @petetheaddick and @meldrew66 are doing their best to join in!
  • Graham Stuart on Ronaldo.

Search youtube for 'Ronaldo being chopped down'