Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Plane on fire over london

Made an emergency landing at Heathrow

Comments

• Hit a flock of birds apparently (R5L).
  • Just watching sky news, yes that's what they think it is.
  • everyone off safely
  • Yes and fire now put out.... Scary though that a few birds can take down a huge plane above a city.
  • everyone safe thank god
  • Now saying it was a 'technical' fault...whatever that means, maybe this includes hitting a flock of birds.
  • uncle said:

Yes and fire now put out.... Scary though that a few birds can take down a huge plane above a city.

Good to hear that it landed safely and everyone is okay. But, hopefully it will help to finally give the boot to Boris's mad plan for an airport in the Thames Estuary.

• How does a flock of birds cause a f*cking great big plane to catch fire?

If you hit enough of them they can really damage the engine fan blade. Once one blade goes they hit against each other like a domino effect and the engine fails.
  • poor birds :( at least the end was swift, pun not intended
  • It's shocking really, who needs weapons of mass destruction? Just throw a few pigeons up in the sky and you can wipe out cities.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wilma said:

uncle said:

Yes and fire now put out.... Scary though that a few birds can take down a huge plane above a city.

Good to hear that it landed safely and everyone is okay. But, hopefully it will help to finally give the boot to Boris's mad plan for an airport in the Thames Estuary.

probably adds to the argument. Planes not flying over the city.

• Must have been quite scary especially for those sitting over the wings.

How does a flock of birds cause a f*cking great big plane to catch fire?

As VG said.

The fuel tanks are generally in the wings too, just above the engine.
  • Oh joy, flying back into London from Kuala Lumpur tomorrow.
  • kafka said:

Wilma said:

uncle said:

probably adds to the argument. Planes not flying over the city.

Adds to the argument? Build an airport in an area well known for thousands and thousands of migrating and nesting birds? Strange idea!
  • edited May 2013

If you hit enough of them they can really damage the engine fan blade. Once one blade goes they hit against each other like a domino effect and the engine fails.
    Didn't that american who landed in the Hudson hit a flock of birds? What a hero.
  • Hope they wern't black birds. If so, the EDL will be all over this......................
  • Hope they wern't black birds. If so, the EDL will be all over this......................

haha.

first it was bird flu now this. Coming over here, etc etc... glad everyone was fine though!
  • How does a flock of birds cause a f*cking great big plane to catch fire?

Amazing to think that in 2013 a plane that must cost tens of millions to build can be brought down by a few pigeons!
  • yeah it is crazy. most engines can withstand the impact of a 4lb bird. Anything larger or in greater number, travelling at high speeds, will cause a lot of damage. The blades in the engines are light, so cant withstand large impacts.

Charlton fans.....If its not trains, its aeroplanes ;-)
  • That's it. Driving to Cornwall this year for our hols.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's called bird strike and happens quite a lot
  • PL54 said:

It's called bird strike and happens quite a lot

I blame Bob Crow.
  • PL54 said:

I blame Bob Crow.
    I heard he's raven about your accusation.

• PL54 said:

I blame Bob Crow.
    I'd change your name if I were you, Robbo. :-)

The industry spends a lot of time hurling frozen and unfrozen chickens into the engines for testing purposes.

Amazing to think that in 2013 a plane that must cost tens of millions to build can be brought down by a few pigeons!
    You might like to try watching Aircrash Investigation, there's a lot smaller things which can bring down a plane than a bird.
  • PL54 said:

I blame Bob Crow.

The industry spends a lot of time hurling frozen and unfrozen chickens into the engines for testing purposes.

You might like to try watching Aircrash Investigation, there's a lot smaller things which can bring down a plane than a bird.
    Why Chickens? Not likely to see many of those flying into the engine.
  • All aeroplanes should be made by law to have a scarecrow on top of each engine.

lol

• uncle said:

PL54 said:

I blame Bob Crow.

I think that's the reasoning behind it. Chickens are bigger than the average bird that is likely to get hit by a plane, and will cause more damage, so it makes sense to use them for testing (the thinking being that if you can make the planes as safe against chickens, then pigeons will barely even register a blip). I think the main problem with birdstrike is flocks of birds rather than individuals - maybe they're not chucking enough chickens into the engines at once during testing?

In all seriousness, birdstrike is one of those random hazards of flying that you can't ever eliminate - just try and minimise the risk as much as you can
  • uncle said:

PL54 said:

I blame Bob Crow.

I think that's the reasoning behind it. Chickens are bigger than the average bird that is likely to get hit by a plane, and will cause more damage, so it makes sense to use them for testing (the thinking being that if you can make the planes as safe against chickens, then pigeons will barely even register a blip). I think the main problem with birdstrike is flocks of birds rather than individuals - maybe they're not chucking enough chickens into the engines at once during testing?

In all seriousness, birdstrike is one of those random hazards of flying that you can't ever eliminate - just try and minimise the risk as much as you can
    Could they not put an umbrella type structure in front of the engine, far enough away to allow air in but close enough to deflect flocks of birds?
  • PL54 said:

I blame Bob Crow.

Aircrash Investigation is brilliant, so intresting, and yes your right smaller things can bring them down.