Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jimi Hendrix on Sky Arts

Really fascinating. To make his mark, his manager said he needed to have a hit record. With that he covered Hey Joe, so that charted and that was job done.
When engineers were putting together backing tracks, he had this uncanny knack of knowing which ones would work backwards as well. Apparently that was nigh on impossible to know that. He then got his first gig supporting The Walker Brothers, Cat Stephens, and Humperdinck (what !). He was told he had to make his mark. With that he set fire to his guitar with the aid of lighter fuel and just whirled it above his head like an axe. The Stage Manager was less than impressed and rushed on with an extinguisher with flames feet away from the curtains.
Next stop USA and he was teamed up with the Monkees. Biggest mismatch ever as the average age of a Monkees audience was ten and most of them ended up in tears. A complete mentalist, I just wish I had taken the chance to see him live.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2013
    didn't others set fire to instruments prior to him to upstage other acts, he's best known for it of course.. googles.. yes Jerry Lee Lewis supposed to have set fire to his piano as to upstage a certain Mr Berry who was to follow him, he played it literally til it burnt to the ground allegedly

although

http://oldies.about.com/od/rockabill1/f/jerryleepiano.htm

• Options
    I Love the bloke, taken way too early.

Ive posted the following before, my Dad and Mum had a blazing row when I was about 3-4, my dad had just seen Jimi play at The Black Prince in Bexley, he came home and told Mum that he had seen this fantastic black guitarist and he played it with his teeth.
    Cue Mum accusing my old dad of being off his nut, not believing a word!
  • Options
    greatest guitar player ever. Certainly the most influential, guitar playing hasn't really moved on from where Jimi took it.
  • Options

greatest guitar player ever. Certainly the most influential, guitar playing hasn't really moved on from where Jimi took it.

I cant disagree more, Hendrix was the most innovative player without a doubt IMO, Clapton is the greatest ever guitar player and arguably the most influential, so many different styles, pure class.
    If you think guitar playing has never moved then you've never seen Joe Bonnamassa. This fella will be one of the greats IMHO.
  • Options
    The greatest.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I cant disagree more, Hendrix was the most innovative player without a doubt IMO, Clapton is the greatest ever guitar player and arguably the most influential, so many different styles, pure class.
    If you think guitar playing has never moved then you've never seen Joe Bonnamassa. This fella will be one of the greats IMHO.
    surely in terms of techncial fluency H is way better than C he absolutely nailed the guitar, C may have 'mastered' a number of different styles but just not up to the standard H was and might have been had he lived longer

• Options
    razil said:

Greenie said:

surely in terms of techncial fluency H is way better than C he absolutely nailed the guitar, C may have 'mastered' a number of different styles but just not up to the standard H was and might have been had he lived longer

Of course it is a matter of opinions, dont get me wrong I love Hendrix, I love Clapton, but overall Clapton is far superior IMHO, of course Guitar's are easier to play and make better sounds now than back then, and I guess with Jimi pegging out 40 years ago we will never know how good he would have become, how to split both these geniuses, I just thank god they were/are both around.
  • Options
    As a blues rock guitarist surely jimmy was miles ahead think clapton would acknowledge that
  • Options
    two stories which I think are true.
    Firstly when Clapton won an award for thw old's best guitarist he said it was sad day because the only way he could win was if Hendrix was dead.
    Secondly at some gig Clapton was paying hendrix was invited as a guest. After a while clapton walked to the side and just watched. later he said he could not compete or add anything to the set, hendrix was that good.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Ive posted the following before, my Dad and Mum had a blazing row when I was about 3-4, my dad had just seen Jimi play at The Black Prince in Bexley, he came home and told Mum that he had seen this fantastic black guitarist and he played it with his teeth.

Did he really play at the Black Prince? What year would that have been? Saw a lot of bands there but he must have been before my time

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

He did the same thing at the Chelmsford corn exchange in february 1967 if I remember correctly he played ìt with his teeth laying on his back. The noise in the hall was incredable the whole place was shakeing & vibrating at one point he stopped and uttered the imortal words--man these amplifiers are crap, great days all for less than a pound.

• Options
    redman said:

Greenie said:

Did he really play at the Black Prince? What year would that have been? Saw a lot of bands there but he must have been before my time

I believe it was 67.
  • Options
    Eric and jimi were great friends, and Jimi was very shy about his ability as shown on the Dick Cavett show after Woodstock.
    The last time Eric saw jimi he had bought him a left handed strat and did not give it to him, and was reduced to tears on the video.
    Jimi for his part came to London to see Eric and Jeff Beck, as part of the deal with Chas Chandler, and jammed with cream at the Regents poly.
    Personally I try not to compare the guitarists of this era, as they are true giants in the world of music. I have had the fortune to meet Joe Bonamassa, great guitarist but like SRV, Gallagher, and Beck have there own style, and put Jimi in a league of his own. Just go on you youtube it is all on there, and enjoy it....... Now that will not surprise anyone will it?
  • Options

Eric and jimi were great friends, and Jimi was very shy about his ability as shown on the Dick Cavett show after Woodstock.
    The last time Eric saw jimi he had bought him a left handed strat and did not give it to him, and was reduced to tears on the video.
    Jimi for his part came to London to see Eric and Jeff Beck, as part of the deal with Chas Chandler, and jammed with cream at the Regents poly.
    Personally I try not to compare the guitarists of this era, as they are true giants in the world of music. I have had the fortune to meet Joe Bonamassa, great guitarist but like SRV, Gallagher, and Beck have there own style, and put Jimi in a league of his own. Just go on you youtube it is all on there, and enjoy it....... Now that will not surprise anyone will it?

Hi Ken, I knew you'd show up here! ;o)
    Yes I agree about comparisons, its more about what you like or what your ears and soul like.

Incidentally, you may want to get along to the Vigo Inn Blues night on Wednesday, some great players there, Saga Lout was there last night too, the blues night is run by a Charlton fan as well.
  • Options
    I heard some story about Beck and Clapton going to see Jimi live, and just stood there in disbelief as he blew them away. Jimi was one of a kind, but Clapton's body of work stands up to anyones
  • Options

Never heard of this. Do they do it every Wednesday? or just some?

• Options
    redman
    Every wednesday 8.30 to 11.30pm - Great house band on for a few numbers then its get up and play, theres guitar players, vocalists, bassists, harmonica players, sax players, drummers. Every one gets to play approx 3 songs minimum. A good few Charlton supporters in there as well.
    A cracking night of free music.

http://www.vigoinn.co.uk/
  • Options
    Got a feeling my cousin (also an Addick) goes along to that with my uncle, Greenie.

Loves his blues and joins in with jams whenever he can. They do one over my way at The Windsor Castle in Carshalton as well.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Hi Ken, I knew you'd show up here! ;o)
    Yes I agree about comparisons, its more about what you like or what your ears and soul like.

Incidentally, you may want to get along to the Vigo Inn Blues night on Wednesday, some great players there, Saga Lout was there last night too, the blues night is run by a Charlton fan as well.
    Yeah gonna make the Vigo in a few weeks be good to meet up Greenie, see Phil and others. Tell him that Andy Fraser is playing Pete Feenstra's club in a few weeks have to go to that one as well with Chris Spedding.
    You seen Joe B playing Rory's strat. This is from Rory's site.
    http://www.rorygallagher.com/#/news/2013/04/joe_bonamassa_playing_rorys_61_strat_
    Donal is very fussy about who handles Rory's guitar, he says it has Rory's DNA in it, he even went to the fender custom shop when they did the custom signature of Rory's strat.
  • Options
    Ken - Yes Ive seen Joe B playing it, hes usually plays it on his encores if I am right, a fitting tribute to the great mans Guitar. Joe B is the man at the moment IMHO.
    I will pass on your message to Phil. Hope to see you in a few weeks. Cheers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw JH twice at the Saville - unforgettable. No need for comparisons because the man was simply unique. When Hey Joe was released it was unlike anything else - genuine disbelief at what you were hearing. And as a live performer - just stupendous.