Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Pulis and Stoke part company

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2328414/Tony-Pulis-leaves-Stoke-City.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tony-pulis-leaves-stoke-city-1902582

John Percy ‏@John__Percy Tony Pulis set to leave Stoke City #scfc. More details later

Matthew Stanger ‏@MatthewStanger Will be interesting to learn if Pulis is leaving by mutual consent. The only way is down for him from Stoke.

Comments

• Options
    Charlton mark 2
  • Options
    A case of "Be careful what you wish for".
  • Options
    Beat me to it, Red Robin! lol
  • Options
    got Mourinho's name written all over it.
  • Options
    LIVE ODDS
    Next Stoke City Boss:
    Sir Clive Woodward 3/1
    Martin Johnson 9/1
    Lawrence Dallaglio 12/1
    Warren Gatland 25/1
    Johnny Wilkinson 50/1
  • Options
    down next season
  • Options
    Have to get the next appointment spot on or they're going to struggle just like we did 06/07.
  • Options
    There is only one man for this job..... Dowie.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ...would Curbs consider it?

Stoke fans want Poyet or Martinez.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    will be interesting to see who they go for. A change in style, Martinez or give a younger man a go, Poyet or Jackett or go for another been there, seen it, done it man.
  • Options
    Why don't they get Micky Adams from Port Vale to try and piss them off, Cant see that backfiring at all.
  • Options
    Be ironic if they get a manager who plays football the "right way" but then go down.

• Options
    Given their performances in the second half of the season, they'd probably have gone down next season with Pulis in charge.
  • Options
    Can't believe the amount of our fans dull enough to believe all they hear on talksport!
    How does the story go again? ...Cafc fans got so fed up with curbs they ran riot in the streets of South London in protest, and forced him out?????

Bollocks.

There was a mere rumble of disapproval towards the end of Curbs reign, it was far from a fan revolt as these talk shows like to tell everyone.

And you cannot begin to compare Curbs to Pulis. Curbs bought us from the very bottom to somewhere near the top.
    Pulis has had an easy ride compaired to Curbs.
  • Options
    no surprise at all
  • Options

...would Curbs consider it?

Stoke fans want Poyet or Martinez.

Poyet's tippy tappy football with their cloggers
    Martinez' total football approach with shaved chimps

More likely to be a Shearer and Owen partnership
  • Options
    Jarman said:

Can't believe the amount of our fans dull enough to believe all they hear on talksport!
    How does the story go again? ...Cafc fans got so fed up with curbs they ran riot in the streets of South London in protest, and forced him out?????

Bollocks.

There was a mere rumble of disapproval towards the end of Curbs reign, it was far from a fan revolt as these talk shows like to tell everyone.

And you cannot begin to compare Curbs to Pulis. Curbs bought us from the very bottom to somewhere near the top.

Think you'll find that Pulis took Stoke from deeper depths than Curbs did with us.
  • Options
    Crazy world
  • Options
    Jarman said:

Bollocks.

nah mate Pulis did a great job at Stoke, you're being disrespectful towards his achievements.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Powell out. Pulis in as manager.

• Options
    May we pass them as they passed us!
  • Options
    At least CP's name isn't on the list of possible managers - yet.

However, 'doing a Charlton' seems to be on everyone's lips....http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/130521/exclusive-matt-etherington-fears-stoke-could-do-charlton-after-tony-puli-1980
  • Options
    Nailed on to walk straight into the Man City job I reckon. They'll love him there....................

Winky smiley face
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Please explain this quote?

I simply don't understand it.

I wish I could win £100m on the lottery.
    I wish I could marry Jennie Runk
    I wish they still made Courage Best like they did in the 80's.

So tell me my dear friend, what is there to be careful of in these three wishes?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

So tell me my dear friend, what is there to be careful of in this three wishes?
    Who is Jennie Runk?
  • Options

Riviera said:

Who is Jennie Runk?
    I had to google it, oversized model
  • Options

Riviera said:

Who is Jennie Runk?
    Oversized? Wha constitutes oversize then?

Let he who is without sin.......

We're not all into matchsticks.
  • Options
    Very interesting times at Stoke, it sounds very much like the chairman, Peter Coates, is getting more 'hands on' and has become much more involved in the playing side and has decided he wants to put more money into the academy rather than fund new transfers for Pulis.

As a result, aware that his squad needs re-invigorating, Pulis has decided to pull the pin and move on - probably a smart move.

Stoke stayed up this season - and in previous seasons - because of their ability to grind out results on the back of a tight defence.

That made them tough to watch at times but you could not doubt its efficiency, in the season just gone the stats tell the story...

Stoke City: Scored: 34 Conceded: 45 W9 D15 Pts 42

Wigan Athletic: Scored: 47 Conceded: 73 W9 D9 Pts 36

So, basically, Stoke and Wigan won the same amount of games but Stoke's ability to grind out 0-0 draws, home or away, rather than conceding silly goals and losing games kept them in the Premier League.

Any new manager coming in will have to work out how to carry on collecting the 40+ points and yet somehow play better and more attractive football - that will not be easy and might end up relegating them.

The bottom line is that once you have developed a 'safety blanket' approach that works (as Curbs did) then its very hard to change it because at the first sign of trouble your inevitable instinct will be to go back to what worked previously.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Who is Jennie Runk?
    Oversized? Wha constitutes oversize then?

Let he who is without sin.......

We're not all into matchsticks.
    Having Googled Jennie Runk, I congratulate you on your choice of marriage partner, Riviera. Has she got any nice sisters, and if so, would you put in a good word for me?