Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP Ray Manzarek

Comments

• Great Band R.I.P
  • At peace after a long battle with bile duct cancer. Leaves an amazing set of work to remember him by, along with Krieger and Morrison. RIP Ray.
  • Great Band R.I.P

Nahh!!!
  • Edgy in their day - Ray was out of his world in many senses on 'come on baby light my fire!'.
  • edited May 2013
    Warning bad taste comment alert........
    JonnyK said:

Edgy in their day - Ray was out of his world in many senses on 'come on baby light my fire!'.

......I suppose that's what he would be asking for now.....sorry!
  • Halix said:

JonnyK said:

Edgy in their day - Ray was out of his world in many senses on 'come on baby light my fire!'.

Halix said:

Great Band R.I.P

Nahh!!!
    Somebody dies and you come up with these comments, classy. Idiot
  • edited May 2013

Halix said:

JonnyK said:

Halix said:

Great Band R.I.P

Nahh!!!
    I apologise for the "joke" but I still think their music was overblown and overrated, and because my opinion differs from yours doesn't mean it's invalid. You've posted an opinion that they were a great band, I've posted my opinion that they weren't', and good taste hasn't traditionally been a prerequisite to posting on this site just remember the comments made when Margaret Thatcher died for example.

• One of my favourite bands. Manzarek was a fantastic pianist, playing chords and melodies with one hand whilst playing the backing bass track with the other. An amazing skill. Very sad news.

When the music's over...
  • The Doors were my favourite band at school.
    Loved their music, their attitude, their style.
    And Ray was an essential part of it. I still listen to their music regularly now 40 years on.
    I saw them live with Jim at the IoW and without Jim later at the ICA and at both Manzarek was great.
    I'm very sad.
  • RIP Ray. Read his autobiography a few years ago and it was clear that, despite the debauchery going on around him, he was a decent family man.

His spirit lives on in the music, LA Woman is an amazing album ( in my opinion).
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP
  • RIP. yes, one of the great old classic bands.
  • Halix said:

Halix said:

JonnyK said:

Halix said:

Great Band R.I.P

Nahh!!!
    I apologise for the "joke" but I still think their music was overblown and overrated, and because my opinion differs from yours doesn't mean it's invalid. You've posted an opinion that they were a great band, I've posted my opinion that they weren't', and good taste hasn't traditionally been a prerequisite to posting on this site just remember the comments made when Margaret Thatcher died for example.

Have some respect mate!
    If you didn't like his music fair enough but don't post your dislike on a rest in peace thread!

RIP Ray thanks for the music!
  • I was also at the IOW in 1970 when The Doors played and to that point I wasn't a fan but they were terrific. Very sad that Ray has passed on but our generation will see this more and more sadly. RIP Ray Manzarek a great musician
  • Greenie said:

Halix said:

Halix said:

JonnyK said:

Halix said:

Great Band R.I.P

Nahh!!!

Have some respect mate!
    If you didn't like his music fair enough but don't post your dislike on a rest in peace thread!

RIP Ray thanks for the music!
    What Greenie said. Doors weren't to my taste but like some of their stuff and a man has died.

RIP Ray.
  • edited May 2013
    I've already apologised for the "joke" which I appreciate was in bad taste, but I can't see why I can't question that they were a great band on this post when someone had claimed this. Perhaps its a sixties thing and you had to be there. I doubt most people could name more than half a dozen Doors songs beyond "light my fire", "riders of the storm", "hello I love you", and thanks to Apocalypse Now " The End". And as I mentioned earlier no one seemed to observe such proprieties when Thatcher died.
  • amazing first album almost like a best of, massive fan here. Love the fusion of blues and psychedelic poetic mumbo jumbo.
  • RIP, the sound defines the era for me.
  • RIP Ray , great band , love the doors
  • Sponsored links:

• big fan...and I barely saw the seventies...let alone the sixties

RIP
  • God I thought Jim Morrison was a god when i was growing up. I bought every bit of literature about him and worshipped him, even tho i was 2 when he died!

Loved The Doors.
    RIP.

• SHIT NO !!!!!!!!!!

RIP Ray. Got into the Doors in the early 80's............great band and I was lucky to see them live at Wembley Arena when they toured a few years ago...........still got the ticket stub !!

The 2 post Morrison albums deserve better praise - Rays vocals on some tracks are as good as Jim's stuff. Off now to play Ships with Sails and Wandering Musician.
  • Curb_It said:

God I thought Jim Morrison was a god when i was growing up. I bought every bit of literature about him and worshipped him, even tho i was 2 when he died!

Loved The Doors.
    RIP.

same here Curb it. I remember watching "No-one here gets out alive" when it was first aired in late August 84. Went and bought the video and watched it over & over. Then bought the book and then Jim's poetry books. Danny Sugerman's own autobiography is a read in itself - you'll never want to take drugs after reading it !!

• Very sad indeed. Great band and a sound that carries on
  • edited May 2013
    A lovely guy and a great musician .. The Doors, the REAL LA Band, along with Santana .. RIP Ray Manzarak
  • HandG said:

RIP Ray. Read his autobiography a few years ago and it was clear that, despite the debauchery going on around him, he was a decent family man.

His spirit lives on in the music, LA Woman is an amazing album ( in my opinion).

Great memories LA Woman playing full belt in the car ( on 8 track ) RIP Ray I hope your grave is in a better place than jims. Just going to play the album Morrison Hotel one moore time today.
  • I was browsing a bookshop in Brighton on Sunday, and The Doors' 'Strange Days' was playing; I was a teenager in the 1970s and have all their albums on vinyl, but hadn't listened for a while. Now this sad news about Ray Manzarek. Been listening again this evening - 'Riders on the Storm', 'Spanish Caravan', 'Touch Me' - full of subtle musicianship, moody atmosphere, and Jim's magnificent voice.