Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Championship Away fans 2012/13

oohahh heaven.

Comments

• Options
    On total we've taken more away than the runaway champions, not bad. Especially considering the night matches at Leicester, Derby, Leeds, Peterborough and Cardiff where we would have had 1,000+ had they been on a Saturday.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The table is confusing. Each team's average is down the left hand side meaning we took 1,048 away on average, whereas 1,627 is the average figure other clubs brought to the Valley.

At least I think so. I don't remember us taking 2,956 to Leeds in midweek for example.
  • Options
    You got it right Callum...our average is 1,048 and the attendances reading across, left to right, are our away crowds at those clubs shown at the top of each column.

The 1,627 is the average of all those away attendances of clubs visiting The Valley, reading down in our column. 2,956 being what Leeds brought to SE7.
  • Options
    Quite good
  • Options
    Looks like away supporters enjoy coming to The Valley in their numbers.
  • Options
    You've got to love a stat.

By my quick reckoning our friends down the road had 5 of the 6 worst away followings in the whole division last season and 7 followings less than 250.

No wonder the 240,000 who turned up at Wembley started rowing with themselves - nobody had a clue who anybody else was!

• Options
    It seems they don't normally have to worry about who's sitting where.
  • Options
    CAFCdamo said:

On total we've taken more away than the runaway champions, not bad. Especially considering the night matches at Leicester, Derby, Leeds, Peterborough and Cardiff where we would have had 1,000+ had they been on a Saturday.

Five of Cardiff's away games are missing from their total, so comparing the totals is not very meaningful.
  • Options
    No surprise that Peterborough was the most popular ground, shame that it's been replaced with Yeovil!
  • Options
    Leeds dirty club but can't knock their support
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Only just beat us and we have two clubs in one city.

• Options

CAFCdamo said:

Five of Cardiff's away games are missing from their total, so comparing the totals is not very meaningful.
    Ahh didn't realise that, wonder why whoever made this couldn't find Cardiff's away numbers?

• Options

Only just beat us and we have two clubs in one city.

You are massive though...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Someone's a bit upset that Leeds take more away than them. :-)

SWFC: Forever Yorkshire's no.2 club.
  • Options
    Not sure what our average home gate is?

Say its roughly 18,000 though. We should be doing better than having 1 in 18 home fans going away on average.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    18,500 was average attendance at the Valley. With an average of 1,600 ish away fans, that means a home gate of 16,900.

So 1 in ~16.9 home fans.

Oohaah will love that, in comparison, Millwall and Palace got an average of 1 in ~11 home fans last season.
  • Options

18,500 was average attendance at the Valley. With an average of 1,600 ish away fans, that means a home gate of 16,900.

So 1 in ~16.9 home fans.

Oohaah will love that, in comparison, Millwall and Palace got an average of 1 in ~11 home fans last season.

A big chunk of our home numbers - 5,000 in one case - aren't even at our home games. You can hardly expect them to travel away ...
  • Options
    what makes me really laugh, is that the ones that moan that we never take many away never go themselves............
  • Options
    I thought the JS stand only held 2700? So how can Millwall and Palace have taken over 3000?
  • Options
    holds 3400 i think
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought we took more away than palace,but these figures say different,and it must be hard for Smallwall away from home cos they have to have a special card or they don't get a ticket
  • Options
    doronron said:

I thought we took more away than palace,but these figures say different,and it must be hard for Smallwall away from home cos they have to have a special card or they don't get a ticket

Day release?
  • Options
    18th out of 24
    if only our away form improved, i'm sure our numbers and ratio would improve and we're prolly the only team who has to play away midweek games and travel logistics from South East London are awful
  • Options
    edited May 2013

what makes me really laugh, is that the ones that moan that we never take many away never go themselves............

You know who you ooh Ahh
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I've been going to away games every season for 30 years .....
    Around 70 grounds
    A rare breed to have done every home and away game in a season
    Just like an old pro footballer who still plays a bit I'm happy with the way my football (Charlton following) CV looks , family committments/ wear and tear have reduced my appearances yet I still manage to make the odd away appearance here and there.
    As a season ticket holder and away traveller of 30 years I'm sure my opinion is allowed/respected and reluctantly accepted even if it doesn't sit pretty with everyone
    The truth hurts and just as I'd love to be able to go to more away games I'm sure most would love our away numbers to be better
    but more importantly the home attendances always look more than decent even if, as Airman points out, there are quite a few freebies involved in that number
  • Options
    End Of An Era:
    Ferguson
    Beckham
    Scholes
    Carragher
    Owen
    OohAahMortimer
    Neville
    Petrov
    Harper
    Van Bommel
    Carlos
    Shevchenko
    Ballack
    Inzaghi
    All retiring.
  • Options
    On the flip side to oohaah, last season was probably one of the best away following seasons in our history.

Averaging over a thousand outside the premiership is as good as it gets where Charlton are concerned
  • Options
    And congratulations to everybody that 'did their bit'. Vocally there certainly seems to have been a step up in the last couple of years.
  • Options
    Some observations:

1. You can't help but admire Leeds' away support, amazing following.
    2. Equally you can't help but laugh at Millwall, for a side at Championship level to take less than 300 away on SEVEN different occasions is absolutely pathetic.
    4. No one likes going to Middlesbrough
    4. This will once again open up the debate about why for a side who have pretty decent home crowds, we take such a small % away. 9th best average at home, 18th best away.
  • Options

Like others I have travelled away on and off since the 80's.Clearly more London derbies would boost the average.

My reason for not going more often is partly financial I don't get my act together in time for the cheapest train tickets and also time based a trip north takes out a whole Saturday and most of the evening as well .I like to do this maybe 3 or 4 times a season.

If Palace don't go up next season might be slightly better logistically for us although I also expect us not to get the bottom tier at Millwall next season ,so our impressive 3,394 will reduce to just over 2,000.

We lose Cardiff and Hull ,but gain QPR,Reading and Wigan.QPR would be a good swap for Watford but bad for Palace.Reading is an excellent swap for Cardiff. Hull and Wigan are similar distances.

In terms of League One Yeovil probably matches Bristol,Bournemouth/Peterborough (albeit in completely different directions) and Doncaster over Wolves might have new ground appeal as we have only played at the Keepmoat once in an evening game.I will certainly try to go there having only visited Donny as a neutral.