Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are you the only Charlton fan you know???

Comments

• Options
    Mosscat said:

At Lands End last year saw a man sitting on a bench wearing his charlton shirt. Went over to say hello. And a few weeks ago in the Black Rabbit Arundel there was a family with charlton shirts on. Again i went over to say hello. Its always good to see the charlton shirts around the country.

I always have to go over and say hello to anyone in a Charlton shirt, much to my wife's amusement!
  • Options
    You back in Sheff again then JBlock? Thought you'd gone back south
  • Options
    I agree with AUN that flag requires a red background. Otherwise it's great and I will look out for it
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

I am the only one I know in Brentwood Essex.

I live there too & so does one of our players !!

• Options
    edited May 2013
    There wern't to many Charlton in Greenhithe (my home town/village) back in the early 70's, then my dad started taking 4-5 mates along with us, they all began to support Charlton and some of their kids took after their fathers, and as far as I'm aware they still go along to the Valley to this day....proud to say my dad left a lasting legacy.
  • Options
    Me and my two boys are the only ones I know of where we are, close to Ayr.Know quite a few Scottish based spanners,I can understand the exiles but there are lads that have picked them as English team and go to games a good few times a season!!!
  • Options
    Once visited GF's sister in her rustic cottage in deepest rural Burgundy and got chatting to a French chap about football .....and he went on about Chelsea, before I put him right and told him all about Charlton.

Went back a while go and walking down the village street, a bloke crossed the road, shook my hand and said" 'Allo, Meester Sharlton Atleteeks!"

• Options
    Essex_Al said:

I thought I would be when I moved to East Devon, but surprisingly not. One of the blokes that works at one of our local sports centres is an Addick and used to be a regular in the 50s and 60s.

I'm assuming this guy is not a fitness instructor then Imnot?

If he was say around 20 in the 50's and was a regular, that would make him in his eighties now!

What's his job?

He was an old boy, proabaly late 60's he was the caretaker, I got talking to him as we were clearing up after one of my kids parties as he was surprised to see a couple of them decked out in full charlton kit (it was a football based party!).

Its fair to say that, living in East Devon, I'm more likely to be talking to people reminiscing about Sam Bartram than Lloyd Sam! Though, in saying that, I was talking to someone who new Hope Powell when she played for the Charlton ladies team on Sunday morning!
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Had a rockabilly mate of mine in Hemsby last weekend (he is west ham), say to me "your the only Charlton fan I have ever met"

He ain't old school then mate. Del Chapman, Alan, Mick Argent, Dave Begent, Mark Lamborn, Mark Kozlowski, Terry Clancy, Steve Chadwick and me, all rockin' and all Charlton...
  • Options
    For many years I seemed to be the only person I knew that would admit to it!

Others seemingly came out of the woodwork during the prem years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Essex_Al said:

Mosscat said:

At Lands End last year saw a man sitting on a bench wearing his charlton shirt. Went over to say hello. And a few weeks ago in the Black Rabbit Arundel there was a family with charlton shirts on. Again i went over to say hello. Its always good to see the charlton shirts around the country.

I always have to go over and say hello to anyone in a Charlton shirt, much to my wife's amusement embarrassment! (in my case because i do the same!)
  • Options
    Any Ickenham based fans? Hopefully moving in before Christmas, I can’t be the only one can I?
  • Options
    Where is Ickenham ?
  • Options

Where is Ickenham ?

Haha! Fair enough, its near Ruislip, on the Met line.

• Options

Where is Ickenham ?

Between Ruislip and Hillingdon and it is on the Tube. I only know that because I went to a funeral there a couple of years ago and it has a lovely, little Parish Church. I would be surprised if there were any Charlton fans living there and there are unlikely to be any in the near future other than "Stewart" if things continue as they are!
  • Options

Where is Ickenham ?

Between Ruislip and Hillingdon and it is on the Tube. I only know that because I went to a funeral there a couple of years ago and it has a lovely, little Parish Church. I would be surprised if there were any Charlton fans living there and there are unlikely to be any in the near future other than "Stewart" if things continue as they are!
    I'm hoping for one.

• Options
    I moved to upper norwood about a year ago and im so alone, luckily I dont go out when the stripey wankers are playing....

I did see a car with a charlton sticker on the back by west norwood station and I got quite excited about it, when I was in erith at least thete were other charlton fans, and dead rats...which you could say {Terms and Conditions Apply}
  • Options
    I live in Beckenham and rarely see any Charlton fans when I get the train from Clock House to Lewisham on match days.

That said, I went on holiday this year to Shetland and saw a CAFC sticker in the back window of a car which was a bit unexpected....!
  • Options
    Stewart said:

Any Ickenham based fans? Hopefully moving in before Christmas, I can’t be the only one can I?

Ok you found one! I'll out myself - live 4 stops down the Met line from you in Rayners Lane!

Born and bred here but been a life long supporter of Charlton. As our esteemed Chief Executive would say, that's really weird!

Used to be 2 Charlton fans in the area. Brainwashed my son into supporting the team but he's now moved out, we're back to one!

There might however be one or two more lurking about. Actually saw a bloke reading VOTV on the way home on the Met Line last Saturday and he stayed on the train after I got off. So maybe a fellow Ickenham resident for you to converse with after all!

But don't get your hopes up about starting a NW London supporters club. Sightings of Charlton shirts in this area happen about as often as a sensible decision by the Senior Management Team. Still, if it's any consolation, if you go out in a Charlton top it's usually met with huge bemusement and people don't [usually] start snarling at you!

PS Ickenham and nearby Ruislip are really nice. Trust me, you won't be missing Woolwich for long!
  • Options

Where is Ickenham ?

I used to live in eastcote and saw one other bloke going down the met line on match days...live in Watford now usually met with confusion when i tell them I support charlton!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm in Snodland and a couple of years ago was dropping something off at my next-door-but-one neighbour who's from 'oop north. We'd been neighbours for about a year.

Imagine my surprise when I spotted a Charlton gnome in the front garden!

He now sits with me and we've done a few away trips together.

Aside from that I too have to say hello to any other Addicks I see away from the football ground - we are so few and far between!

To be honest though I LOVE being a Charlton fan because it's a talking point. It's a bit different. Wouldn't change it for the world.

In fact once in my life in the prem days I was called a glory hunter! Can you believe it
  • Options
    I'm the only Charlton fan I know. Apart from me High Barnet seems to be Charlton-free.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Living in a Cornish village....... surprise, surprise, I'm the only Charlton fan.

Nearly everyone here knows I'm an Addick - and as I actually travel to games whenever I can, most other football fans around here think I'm sort of hero(!). Or perhaps just plain loopy.

If for some reason Charlton make headlines or win 6-0 away, people come over to me in the village shops/pubs and start talking about Charlton. I'm treated as some sort of ambassador for Charlton.

I'm probably the only Charlton fan they've ever met.

We are currently staying in a cottage in a tiny place called Colan, near Mountjoy in Cornwall. It is about 4 miles from Watergate Bay. I bet I am the only Charlton fan in this village.
  • Options
    I'm the only Charlton fan that I like, does that count ?
  • Options

I live in Beckenham and rarely see any Charlton fans when I get the train from Clock House to Lewisham on match days.

That said, I went on holiday this year to Shetland and saw a CAFC sticker in the back window of a car which was a bit unexpected....!

I get on at Clock House when I go (not for a while now admittedly) and there's occasionally others that board. I'm a Penge dweller and never see fellow Addicks there, only very odd looking stripey people, they really do stand out as a breed apart.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I'm the only Charlton fan that I like, does that count ?

A quote like this has eventual power to branch off to another Jim Davidson rant/debate.

I for one, think he's alright.
  • Options
    I live in Woolwich right now and even though Charlton are the local team, I rarely see a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    I'm so used to being in a minority I think I would be genuinely unsettled by living in an area where loads of people supported Charlton. It would be like living somewhere where every other person was a relative. .

But here in leafy Surrey it's nice to know that you are not completely alone. ..we're our own little cult among the Chelsea hordes