Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dowie's departure

having just quizzed someone very intimately involved with the charlton set-up, i've been told that dowie was sacked for lying about set-pieces - apparently he was asked by the board why our set-pieces were so bad, and replied that they were down to les reed. when the board questioned reed, he said that he wished he'd had some involvement with them,but dowie wouldn't let him anywhere near them. just how much this had to do with the sacking is obviously up for debate,but my source is adamant that dowie's lying to the board over this issue was pivotal. in addition, i was told that the stories about the newcastle jogging and wigan family visits were also true.

this source also said that billy davies was our first choice, but actually it was his agent's demands for a bigger wage that scuppered the deal, not his objection to our new management structure.

apparently kinsella has been taking a pretty prominent role in terms of geeing up the team since, and apparently only left us because a doctor told him his knees were buggered and that he couldnt play for much longer.when villa dangled a million our way, he accepted the deal. what a great!

Comments

• Options
    Frankie,
    I really do not know why you have to post something like this now. We have moved on from all that. The past is the past.
    Ian Dowie is doing an excellent job at Coventry, who knows what would have happened with us if he'd been given a) His own staff from the start and b) A little more time.
    No one, I repeat NO ONE could argue that the players were not behind him. Unfortunately the board were not. Maybe his was a panic appointment after the likes of Taylor and Davies had turned us down. Will we ever know the truth?
    The facts are that the board DID like Les Reed, he was just not up to it, there IS evidence that the players didn't respond to him.
    IMHO, the board had had it so bloody easy for so long that they were not actually experienced enough to appoint the right successor to Curbs. I reckon Dowie would have done OK in the end but he was not the "Yes man" that they thought they'd employed.
    As I said this is all history and it has transpired that we have now got a fantastic Manager in AP. I wanted him as a replacement for Curbs years ago!
    Let's just let the Dowie/Reed chapter go and support our team to the survival I know we can achieve.
  • Options
    Whereas i agree that this is all history, IMHO, the OP is a good bit of further insight (or confirmation) into a period of our history.

Nice bit's about Kins as well!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: frankie wolfgang[/cite]having just quizzed someone very intimately involved with the charlton set-up, i've been told that dowie was sacked for lying about set-pieces - apparently he was asked by the board why our set-pieces were so bad, and replied that they were down to les reed. when the board questioned reed, he said that he wished he'd had some involvement with them,but dowie wouldn't let him anywhere near them. just how much this had to do with the sacking is obviously up for debate,but my source is adamant that dowie's lying to the board over this issue was pivotal. in addition, i was told that the stories about the newcastle jogging and wigan family visits were also true.

this source also said that billy davies was our first choice, but actually it was his agent's demands for a bigger wage that scuppered the deal, not his objection to our new management structure.

apparently kinsella has been taking a pretty prominent role in terms of geeing up the team since, and apparently only left us because a doctor told him his knees were buggered and that he couldnt play for much longer.when villa dangled a million our way, he accepted the deal. what a great!

Some interesting points...I think Dowie was sacked for a number of reasons, not for any one reason, choose from: poor results, defensively we were a shambles, ill advised purchases, that were also very costly, a lack of direction on the pitch (we really needed a ball winner in midfield), poor communication skills and I suspect a poor working relationship with Les Reed and the directors. Add in some of the others things as well - getting lost on the pre-Newcastle walkabout etc. But I'm sure if we'd had a couple more results go our way during Dowie's brief reign he'd still be here now.

It seems to be widely accepted that Billy Davies was offered the job of replacing Curbs. I can't think that his wage demands would have been that outrageous that Charlton would have been unable to meet them, or that Derby are now paying him more than he'd have got off us. I suspect the high wage demands were a negotiating tactic on his behalf, but who knows, certainly if your source is to be believed and why not maybe Davies thought with no other serious candidates that he could ask for whatever salary he liked.

As for Kin's knees...I think this was widely known at the time and confirmed later, Villa I think took a gamble on Kinsella hoping that he'd be a McGrath, producing great displays while hardly being fit. That was why he went for £1m and not the £2 -3m plus that a player with considerable Premiership and international experience was worth. Only Villa fans will tell you whether their gamble paid off or not.
  • Options
    Not fussed what he was sacked for, bloke was a liability.

If only Pardew was avaliable immediatley it could have been a whole different story.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: frankie wolfgang[/cite]having just quizzed someone very intimately involved with the charlton set-up, i've been told that dowie was sacked for lying about set-pieces - apparently he was asked by the board why our set-pieces were so bad, and replied that they were down to les reed. when the board questioned reed, he said that he wished he'd had some involvement with them,but dowie wouldn't let him anywhere near them. just how much this had to do with the sacking is obviously up for debate,but my source is adamant that dowie's lying to the board over this issue was pivotal. in addition, i was told that the stories about the newcastle jogging and wigan family visits were also true.

cor, frankie, tell us something we didn't know. I don't think their is anyone in football who doesn't know that Davies was our first choice and turned it down for financial reasons. Oh, btw, Villa were aware of Kins dodgy knees but were still happy to proceed with the deal. Please come back when you've something interesting to say. Oh, in case you pop back later to tell us, then yes we do know the Titanic has sunk.
  • Options
    I would be amazed if Billy Davies turned us down for financial reasons given that he ended up going to Derby who barely have a pot to piss in and was leaving Preston who were also brassic.

Anyway, its all history now and he probably made a smart move in avoiding the job given that Curbs hangover effect that was always going to hit the new manager.

He also seems to be doing really well at Derby so its turned out great for him.
  • Options
    Any need to be so fckin rude LargeAddick? Thought this was an alright little site, but posts like that will put new users off getting involved at all.
  • Options
    Yeah, was a bit rude Large ya bully... We won today fer feck sake, there's no need for sniping. Think HAPPY thoughts people ;-) If you disagree with something, feel free to do so but leave the cattiness out perleese.

Welcome frankie, as Brighton suggests, your info is as welcome as the next members'.
  • Options
    point is that he has posted a non-story which most of us are sick of hearing now. This post would have been topical three months ago but isn't now. Didn't think I was particularly rude, sarcastic maybe, but being abusive I wasn't.
  • Options
    who's sick of hearing gossip? i love it.
    very unwelcoming to a new poster. He probably wont come back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I must admit i think he is doing a great job at coventry
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]who's sick of hearing gossip? i love it.
    very unwelcoming to a new poster. He probably wont come back.
    totally agree we love the rumours and non rumours any old chaff is better than none
  • Options
    fair enough large, dont worry im not put off by the comment - good to see that wheezy old titanic jibe get wheeled out again! same to dj davey dave, to be honest i was drunk at the time of posting and didnt really think through whether it would have been of particular interest to anyone, but would probably have posted it anyway the next morning. as with oohaahmortimer and others, ive always gone on charltonlife for rumours etc, and if youre not interested, why not just leave the thread to die out on its own?
  • Options
    I'm interested Frankie .............. in your name. Go on, what's that all about then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: frankie wolfgang[/cite]fair enough large, dont worry im not put off by the comment - good to see that wheezy old titanic jibe get wheeled out again! same to dj davey dave, to be honest i was drunk at the time of posting and didnt really think through whether it would have been of particular interest to anyone, but would probably have posted it anyway the next morning. as with oohaahmortimer and others, ive always gone on charltonlife for rumours etc, and if youre not interested, why not just leave the thread to die out on its own?

welcome to the site frankie, and agree with all you reply.

As for the Dowie thing, as others have insinuated it appears to have been a combination of factors, with the most telling two being we were bottom of the league and he wasn't holding a good relationship with the top level of the club. All the other 'incidents' are mere side issues, barring the going home before the Wigan game which was a bit out of order.

The bottom line i think is he was the wrong fit for the wrong club. The chairman was looking for a way out and jumped on the excuses he could find. In hindsight, and in long-term, i believe he was right to do so. Dowie would never of been right long-term for us.

Dowie is an impact manager, but to have an impact he has to have every member of his squad and staff on board and ready to follow him into war. He wants to be a leader, a general, and has the strong character and the quote book to back it up. But at the very top level, players need more than that sometimes to respond, the rallying cry's will work well at lower level, but you also need more guille in the Premiership. He really wasn't helped by a poor start and tough fixtures, which made a bit of a mockery of the strong leadership approach. Coverntry is a good fit for him.
  • Options
    Davis didn't come in as he couldn't apoint his own staff... he's making noises about exactly the same thing at Derby now talking about walking away.
  • Options
    Can we put Dowie's record at Coventry into some sort of perspective? He's been there about five minutes hasn't he? Jeez, lets see where they are this time next year before people [not on this thread neccesarily] start saying that he is actually a really good manager but was not given long enough at Charlton. He WAS given a chance and completely fecked it up. That's the end of it.
  • Options
    Disagree.
  • Options
    Oh well, DJDD, we'll have to agree to differ on this one mate! I am sure neither of us has the energy for another Dowie debate!!!
  • Options
    Fine. My thoughts are at the beginning of this thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I heard he was sacked for being as ugly as sin and that the club decided his monstrous boat would frighten the kiddies who came along for our award-winning community work. Just a rumour mind you but it doesn't stop me ending this sentence with the word "fact" - FACT!
  • Options
    Dowie screwed it up - the proof being he is no longer here - sounds circular I know, but the board would not have pushed him if it was only for being unlucky on the fixtures and a few decisions...

He (or possibly other parts of the club) brought in 5 players for a lot of money and basically told the rest of the squad they weren't up to it - including telling Darren Bent he should score more against top 4 clubs - through the papers!!!

He basically took a mid table first X1 which we all knew had problems up front and in central midfield and performed even worse. It's not as if Pardew has spent a fortune (just recalled him from loan for a week!) but he has brought in Thatcher for Traore and Song / ZZ for Hughes/Kish /Faye

I backed Dowie at the time but the bottom line was that if we had beaten Watford at home and Fulham away we wouldn't be planning the great escape now. Having said all that the football , at the beginning of the season and now has been a million more times entertaining than the previous years so perhaps the club will have finally succeeded in stopping the churning on the season tickets (some 2,000 a year I recall)

The point above is that Premier league teams need more than ranting / galvanizing etc. - they need steel and subtlety / ruthlesness in the mgt. - first two things Pardew said were to the press "I'm a manager" (not head coach) and to the squad "I' m your third coach this year - you ain't getting any more!" whereas Dowie was more interested in quoting from MBA / team building manuals
  • Options
    dowie would have done alright given time,reed on the other hand will go down as the worst manager ever,never forgive him for the wycombe debacle,utter prick. but now we have pardew and even if we go down that mans will bring us up.
  • Options
    Les Reed seems to be getting off very lightly.
    Again it is proved that is no place for the nice guy in football.
  • Options
    to truedave,and all that charlton man crap,man was born in wapping doubt he was a charlton fan. truly awfull passionless twat.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: lucy lou[/cite]to truedave,and all that charlton man crap,man was born in wapping doubt he was a charlton fan. truly awfull passionless twat.

Have to say i think that is harsh.

More just really of a man taking on a job that was beyond him.

DJDD- Agree about " no place for the nice guy in football" especially at this level.

Frankie-- Welcome!

AFKA- spot on re Dowie, they need the sort of hands on man who picks the balls up at the end of the training/warm up session etc. I hope Dowie suceeds there.
  • Options
    Coventry haven't given Dowie any money to spend yet either...watch it all go pear-shaped after that!
  • Options
    I couldn't give a stuff

not our manager anymore & who are Coventry anyhoo

c'mon you reds!
  • Options
    Yeah, I thought Reed sounded like a twat when he said how his family used to "come across the river" to watch Charlton - what a bag of shite we know that must be!!! Nobody from East london would have come to The Valley, especially not in the 60's and 70's when the Spammers were flying. He was trying to ingratiate himself with the fans but just made himself look ridiculous.