Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

charlton vs bristol city tickets on gumtree

so come on ,someone own up.Whos flogging there tickets on there ? lol

Comments

• Its 'their' .
  • It's "it's".
  • It's who's!
  • Genuine question here! Is it harder to be grammatical and use correct punctuation on a smart phone or tablet than it is on an old fashioned pc and keyboard? It seems that a lot of posts these days are more like text messages or is it that the standard of English that is taught in schools these days is so poor.

I don't have a smartphone or tablet so am curious to know!
  • Is that the correct use of an exclamation mark?
  • I have a book on correct use of English and it states that an exclamation mark 'can be used to end sentences that express an exclamation'.
  • Genuine question here! Is it harder to be grammatical and use correct punctuation on a smart phone or tablet than it is on an old fashioned pc and keyboard? It seems that a lot of posts these days are more like text messages or is it that the standard of English that is taught in schools these days is so poor.

That bold part sounds like a question to me.

It takes a little more time and effort, but it's not difficult to do on a phone. Phones and the internet are largely to blame though, for sure.

• I have a book on correct use of English and it states that an exclamation mark 'can be used to end sentences that express an exclamation'.

So, "genuine question here" was an exclamation was it?

My word!

• Oh dear ME14, you've fallen into an old trap there. First rule of internet forums - never, ever post something that is being picky about grammar or questioning the standards of modern written English unless you have had it proof read by at least three professors of English.
  • Sponsored links:

• 4 sure m8

That bold part sounds like a question to me.
    Definitely a question!
  • se9addick said:

It's "it's".

Haha

Straight red for the president.
  • RedPanda said:

Genuine question here! Is it harder to be grammatical and use correct punctuation on a smart phone or tablet than it is on an old fashioned pc and keyboard? It seems that a lot of posts these days are more like text messages or is it that the standard of English that is taught in schools these days is so poor.

It takes a little more time and effort, but it's not difficult to do on a phone. Phones and the internet are largely to blame though, for sure.

As the word 'phone is an abbreviation of telephone, it really needs an apostrophe. ;-)

• Its 'their' .

Epic fail.

• se9addick said:

It's "it's".

Haha

I just don't see the point in digging someone out on their spelling/grammar, especially in such a curt way, if you don't know them or their circumstances.

Anyway, are the tickets on Gum Tree going for above or below face value ?
  • ........................and yet the 'New Bird On Countdown' thread is drowning 5 pages beneath this one??!! Unbelieveable!
  • @ME14 to blame the poor grammar and punctuation that appears on this site on the education system, is to criticise the education system under Keith Joseph and Margaret Thatcher.
  • .......time to get a life people!
  • Does it matter about grammar? it's a general question.I dont need people preaching on how to spell etc.Just a sensible answer would of been okay.Is that spelt okay for you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Not quite. It is "would have"
    Getting there though.
  • God almighty. We wonder why we're called 'anoraks'
  • cafc4life said:

Does it matter about grammar? it's a general question.I dont need people preaching on how to spell etc.Just a sensible answer would of been okay.Is that spelt okay for you?

Best thing to do is just ignore the digs. Care to elaborate on the tickets? Price etc?

Could be worse. Club could be flogging them cheap on groupon, not that any club with an ounce of decency would do such a thing...................
  • se9addick said:

It's "it's".

Haha

It's President.
  • Actually, i suppose a lot of the common spelling mistakes are likely to be caused by predictive text.
  • se9addick said:

It's "it's".

Haha

It's President.
    Learning quick. I see you got the it's correct this time.
  • There was a piece about grammar on the BBC breakfast show this morning. The man talking stated that grammar hasn't been taught in schools for 50 years.

I am 55 and wasn't taught English grammar as a subject at school even though I went to the equivalent of a grammar school. The first time I became aware of how a sentence should be constructed was during my French 'O' level lessons, when I was taught by a French woman. Perhaps the fact that we aren't taught to use our own language correctly is the reason why English people find it hard to learn other languages as well.

Whether or not it matters, depends on what type of job you are doing. If you need to write reports or letters, it certainly helps to be able to write properly. I'm sure most people would not be impressed if they were to receive a letter full of spelling and grammatical errors which actually conveyed a meaning different from that which was intended.

If I have made any errors in this post please blame my education!

• Imy opinion there are 2 times it matters most
    1. When it can change the meaning - there was an example where a missing "," in a legal document cost someone millions. It was importnat because the meaning of the sentence was different with it in and without it in
    2. To help the reader undestand what is being written. Bad grammar usually (but not always) makes it harder to read and understand.
  • meldrew66 said:

.......time to get a life people!

Yes get a life dont you smart arses realise that some of us oldies have not had a great need to write much since leaving school many years ago ( apart from the odd birthday/christmas/postcard. So please make an allowance for spelling and punctuation mistakes as we could be a bit rusty.