Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No Solly in Championship team of the year.

edited April 2013 in General Charlton
Trippier of Burnley got the nod this year and Jack Hunt of Huddersfield got it last year in League one. There must be some good RB's around, that's all I can say.

Comments

• Options
    good ... keep him under the radar
  • Options
    Hopefully this will keep him off the radar of some of the bigger clubs.
  • Options
    Is it other players votes or picked by a panel?
  • Options
    either others don't appreciate him like we do or he's not as good as we like to think he is
  • Options
    Trippier is taller.....
  • Options
    edited April 2013

either others don't appreciate him like we do or he's not as good as we like to think he is

Sometimes i think both.
  • Options

Is it other players votes or picked by a panel?

Other players I believe.

• Options

Sometimes i think both.
    I'd agree. Though I do think he is as good as we make him out to be, but quite often you hear statements like "best right back in the league" which is usually just an assumption that there are no others out there who are as good as him.
  • Options

Trippier is taller.....

He's 5ft 9, so not exactly a giant (in modern day terms) either
  • Options

Trippier is taller.....

He's 5ft 9, so not exactly a giant (in modern day terms) either
    Humour.........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would it be overly optimistic to think this means nobody has noticed him?
  • Options
    Good
  • Options
    You can't legislate for how around 300 odd Championship players are going to vote.
  • Options
    Good, maybe he isnt as good as we know he is in other peoples eyes . I get the feeling that Prem scouts/Managers look at him and wonder if he will improve their squad - one thing he doesnt really have is versatility, RB seems to be his position and no other.
    Lets hope.
  • Options
    Trust me Solly is the real deal, actually nobody here needs telling that. There are plenty of people out there in the football world who will know that, despite the PFA awards.
    We should ensure he stays, but if he gets transferred with all our good wishes, then it must be for absolute top dollar, with tons of add on bells and whistles.
    If he continues at this rate Solly would probably make it as my all time best Charlton right back, ahead of Billy Bonds and John Humphrey.
  • Options
    Very surprised Sam Byram didn't get in at right back to be honest.

Solly will probably have our Player of the Year to console him though.
  • Options

Trippier is taller.....

Everyones taller!!!!!!!!
  • Options

I think the fact that most think he is better then Jenkinson tells you all you need to know.
  • Options
    He is in good company along with Jordan Rhodes and Jack Butland in being left out.
  • Options
    Maybe he's not noticed so much because of his own modesty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Trippier has 11 assists from full back this season (tied for 4th in the league). That gets you noticed by the players you're up against.

The actim stats tell a different story, though.

Chris Solly is 22nd with Trippier back in 42nd.
  • Options

He is in good company along with Jordan Rhodes and Jack Butland in being left out.

And Austin. Agree with the selection though - Vydra has looked very good, and Murray is top scorer.
  • Options
    Don't forget that Solly also spent quite a bit of the season at left back when Wiggins was injured during the Palace game.
  • Options
    I wouldn't go by any PFA list, not after I read an article by Martin Keown at the weekend.

Basically said the players couldn't be bothered - foreign players even more so as at least the home grown players had been brought up with voting for their peers. Keown said he was the PFA rep at Arsenal and in the end he just filled out the forms for his team mates, even to the point of selecting their "11" and got them to sign it - probably why the likes of Berkamp & Henry won it.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

If he continues at this rate Solly would probably make it as my all time best Charlton right back, ahead of Billy Bonds and John Humphrey.

Interesting point.....

I'd say Solly is already probably a slightly better defender than John Humphrey but I reckon Humphrey would be the better attacking force. For a long while he seemed to carry the attack in terms of drive (for those who didn't see him...he was extremely quick and powerful) and he provided a lot ammunition for the forwards. It would be great to see Solly tested in the top division.....

I only ever saw Bonds play midfield for West Ham and he had plenty of energy, even though he was about 40 at the time! He looked an excellent player.

• Options
    Solly is too good for that list, he's in a league of his own.
  • Options
    Haven't read the thread but Trippier has got the award for his assists, he's got a great cross on him, however I know who I'd rather have out of him and Solly.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Simonsen said:

seth plum said:

Interesting point.....

I'd say Solly is already probably a slightly better defender than John Humphrey but I reckon Humphrey would be the better attacking force. For a long while he seemed to carry the attack in terms of drive (for those who didn't see him...he was extremely quick and powerful) and he provided a lot ammunition for the forwards. It would be great to see Solly tested in the top division.....

I only ever saw Bonds play midfield for West Ham and he had plenty of energy, even though he was about 40 at the time! He looked an excellent player.
    I would describe Bonds as a swashbuckling, overlapping fullback big strides good pace and crosser of the ball. Much bigger than Solly a solid defender. Was gutted when he signed for the Hammers although we had Bobby Curtis coming through the Colts to replace him so that softened the blow. Johnny H was quick which enabled him to join in with attacks and get back swiftly. Solly is a better all round footballer than both IMHO so enjoy his time with us fellow Addicks because sadly he is destined for dizzier heights.
  • Options
    Good. The less people know how good Solly is the more chance he will stay with us.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Wot no Luke Young?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with comments above but find it surprising that one of our few England internationals does not even appear in the debate as to best right back.