Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Valley Express

How many fans do you reckon the Valley Express brings in? and do you guys think it will ever be stopped?

Comments

• Not as many as the smallwall bandwagon
  • No it won't be stopped, it is a bit like Charlton at the moment, unstoppable!
  • Might have to use this on Saturday. Missus has buggered her car and needs to do a heathrow run (my choice was do the run myself or make my own way to the Valley........easy decision).

Failing that, anyone driving from Gravesend wanna car share? happy to pay petrol........................
  • Tango i am going from gravesend saturday. Whereabouts are you.
  • Anyone used the sheerness/sittingbourne one. Might have to use them soon train tickets gone through the roof.
  • Anyone used the sheerness/sittingbourne one. Might have to use them soon train tickets gone through the roof.

Yep. usually gets to the ground about 1.45 and stops everywhere.

• So still a good hour of drinking time then. Might try it for sat then.
  • edited August 2013

Tango i am going from gravesend saturday. Whereabouts are you.

Over Perry St area.

Edit. Sent you a pm Crazy........
  • The coach is such a bore I'd rather drive up on my own and spend more on petrol. Shouldn't complain with the price though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Just rang the ticket office to book a Valley Express place for Saturday, but was too late, closed at 5.

So I tried the OS which suggests I can book online. But got lost in hyperlinks that either turned out to be obsolete or brought me back to where I started. Anyone have a link that actually works for Valley Express? Thank you.
  • Just rang the ticket office to book a Valley Express place for Saturday, but was too late, closed at 5.

So I tried the OS which suggests I can book online. But got lost in hyperlinks that either turned out to be obsolete or brought me back to where I started. Anyone have a link that actually works for Valley Express? Thank you.

Just thought I'd try getting to the link to see what the issue is. Doesn't seem to be working. Surely you can do it over the phone tomorrow?

Failing that, where are you travelling from? Maybe a stalker fellow lifer is going from nearby and will offer you a lift?..........
  • Hmm.. yeah I phoned to make a booking at 4.50. But got a voice message saying the ticket office had closed at 5.00. Okaaay. Then the online booking didn't work. :smile:

Travelling up from Tunbridge Wells, happy to share a ride if there are any offers.

But I'm particularly wanting to use Valley Express as I've never had the need for it until now, so this is really just a test run of how easy it is to book, ease of use on the day, how much waiting around, etc. I haven't got off to a good start.
  • Ticket office closes at 1pm on a Thursday I believe. You should have no problem booking tomorrow assuming the coach isn't full.
  • edited January 2015
    Ah okay. Yes, I shall try again tomorrow.

I'd heard a while back that the ticket office shuts early on Thursdays - but assumed the shut-down could only possibly be referring to the service at the windows in the West Stand, not the entire operation. Wow. The webpage on Valley Express confirmed what I'd wrongly assumed: it simply says the ticket office phone number is open 9am - 5pm on weekdays.

If it weren't for the fact I'm meeting my dad at the game I'd probably have sacked this game off by now, my tolerance for crap information/service is very low. And I say that as a 5-10 games a season (formerly every game a season) supporter prepared to put in some effort to get to a game. I wonder how many potential supporters are put off attending that the club never get to hear from.

Thanks @bc_addick‌ and @tangoflash‌
  • The online booking system doesn't work and isn't going to work for the foreseeable future. There is a reason but I have forgotten (someone here may know?).

I have used the Valley Express for over a year. Best choice I have made. Extremely convenient and very cost effective. Recommend it.
  • A few to many anoraks on it
    But a good service nevertheless
    Has the valley got any better with the new company
    As missed the start of to many games when I used to used the away service
  • edited January 2015

Hmm.. yeah I phoned to make a booking at 4.50. But got a voice message saying the ticket office had closed at 5.00. Okaaay. Then the online booking didn't work. :smile:

Travelling up from Tunbridge Wells, happy to share a ride if there are any offers.

But I'm particularly wanting to use Valley Express as I've never had the need for it until now, so this is really just a test run of how easy it is to book, ease of use on the day, how much waiting around, etc. I haven't got off to a good start.

I you want I can PM you the number of the guy who runs the coach up from Hastings that stops en route at Pembury. We normally have a spare seat or two so you should be ok.

Just to add that on return journeys George the coach steward takes bookings for the next few games and in effect you need never ring the Club again. We also have a raffle where around £60 is given out in prizes. We are normally parked up in Charlton by 1.45 on a Saturday so giving time for a trip to the pub before kick off. After the game we normally depart about 5.10/5.15 and are back in Pembury about 6.15pm. All in all its a great service.

As said if you want George's number I will PM you.
  • Thanks @LargeAddick‌ that's an encouraging write up. George's number would be great, thank you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just to say that we find the Valley Express to be excellent. Best to join your local Supporters Club who do a great job in organising it, sit on the coach going home and read the programme.
  • Thanks @LargeAddick‌ that's an encouraging write up. George's number would be great, thank you.

have sent you a PM.

• Could anyone tell me if a 15 year old can travel alone on the valley express?
  • Could anyone tell me if a 15 year old can travel alone on the valley express?

I can't see why not, I don't think there's any age restrictions.
  • edited September 2017
    The answer should be no, but if you don't tell them they won't know. The problem is that the situation becomes very difficult if the kid misses the coach home for any reason. There have been cases in the past of this and then the club getting itself in a child protection bind after they turn up in reception looking for help.

The club has no legal responsibility for unaccompanied minors but it does have a moral one if the kid is stranded 50 miles from home. There was then an issue even if someone gave the kid home because the parent didn't want them left with an unknown adult in a car.

Of course some 15-year-olds are more mature than others.