Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Palace Supporters Coach stopped

Two arested as drugs, a knife and alcohol found on coach

27 April 2013

Acting on information, officers from Operation Arrowtip stopped a coach at around 0800hrs on Saturday, 27 April, in South Norwood Hill, South Norwood SE25.

The coach contained Crystal Palace supporters.

One man was arrested on suspicion of possessing Class A drugs.

A second man was arrested under the Explosives Act for possession of pyrotechnics. He was also found to be in possession of a substance believed to be Class A drugs.

Both men were taken to a south London police station, where they remain in custody.

A lock knife was seized, together with five bin-bags of beer, cider, wine and spirits.

The coach did not continue on its journey. The driver of the coach has been reported under the Sporting Events Act (1985).

Detective Chief Inspector Andy Barnes, head of Operation Arrowtip, said: "The MPS takes a proactive approach to preventing football related disorder and we will deal robustly with anyone who sees football as justification for violent behaviour and criminal activity."

Officers from Operation Arrowtip want to hear from anyone with information about football related disorder. Please call the investigation team on 020 8246 0076 (not 24 hours); if you wish to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

About Operation Arrowtip

Operation Arrowtip is the MPS operation to tackle individuals and groups who commit football related criminality and disorder.

The operation is working in partnership with the Football Association, football clubs and other police forces to tackle the problem of football related crime.

Detective Chief Inspector Andy Barnes said: "We can only stamp out football disorder and criminality by working together with the clubs, the Football Association and the fans themselves.

"We have to ensure that all groups in society can go and watch football without the fear of violence or abuse. All partners are committed to this.

"I would urge anyone with information about football related crime and disorder to call the investigation team on 020 8246 0076 or, if you wish to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."

Comments

• I hired and drove a mini bus full of friends to Old Trafford to see us play quite a few years ago. I told my mates not to take booze on the bus. Despite me driving them there, back and stopping at pubs and service stations they still had to have a beer and vodka on board.
    Never took any of them again.
  • I'm confused. Is it illegal to have beer and vodka on a privately hired minibus?
  • I'm confused. Is it illegal to have beer and vodka on a privately hired minibus?

Going to a football match, yes.

Any idea what sort of knife it was?
  • i should think you could stop most football coaches and there would be booze on

A lock knife it says.
  • I unfortunately have the displeasure of knowing someone who was on that coach. It was organised by the holmesdale frantics who are only in to creating atmosphere apparently!
  • Is it an offence to have a bin bag full of booze? I understand you can't actually drink on a bus or coach, but if it's just being carried to be drunk at the destination, is that an offence?
  • Silly Nigels

A lock knife it says.
    So it does, cheers!
  • Nawty
  • Sponsored links:

• Pwopa.
  • Knife/drugs are stupid.

We've all drunk beers on the way to matches when we're not supposed to though.
  • Although it's easy to laugh at Palace and especially their 'ultras' for lack of a better term, it is a grey area. What if they had all gone in a few cars? Could they all have drunk then? Or a big 7 seater car or whatever? How many seats does it take to make a minibus?

Twats regardless.
  • RedPanda said:

Although it's easy to laugh at Palace and especially their 'ultras' for lack of a better term, it is a grey area. What if they had all gone in a few cars? Could they all have drunk then? Or a big 7 seater car or whatever? How many seats does it take to make a minibus?

Twats regardless.

It sounds like the police had specific information regarding what they were likely to find on board, if they had just thought it was booze I doubt they would have acted.

What is the thinking behind it being illegal to drink on a coach but not in a car ?
  • edited April 2013
    se9addick said:

RedPanda said:

Although it's easy to laugh at Palace and especially their 'ultras' for lack of a better term, it is a grey area. What if they had all gone in a few cars? Could they all have drunk then? Or a big 7 seater car or whatever? How many seats does it take to make a minibus?

Twats regardless.

It sounds like the police had specific information regarding what they were likely to find on board, if they had just thought it was booze I doubt they would have acted.

What is the thinking behind it being illegal to drink on a coach but not in a car ?
    True, I'm focusing on the wrong thing there. I do think they would have acted though, the alcohol laws are enforced pretty strictly.

Coke is big in the Italian ultra scene, using that's probably another pathetic attempt to bring them a little closer to the boys of Atalanta, Verona, etc and make themselves feel more authentic. Although those 'tards not knowing what to do with it have probably been dropping it in their drink or rubbing it under their armpits.
  • Having possession of a knife and Class A is fair cop, anyone that does either knows they are taking a risk.

As for the booze, yes it's illegal but surely we've got to have another look at it. If people are too pissed don't let them in the ground and nick them then. Palace or not why ruin everyone's day for a bit of personal class A and a knife?
  • Drink was banned from coaches because idiots cant stop at 2 or 3 and enjoy a day out without spoiling it for others.
    Nothing wrong with getting drunk (if thats what you want) but coach load after coach of beered up males isn't a good idea, in my opinion anyway.

As for knives, fireworks and drugs, pathetic people.
  • RedPanda said:

Twats regardless.

I need to check the statute and the exact number of people - but I think the stipulation is 8 passengers or less (including the driver) and you can take alcohol with you, above that number and it's illegal. As far as I know it has nothing specifically to do with coaches or whether they are privately hired - just passenger numbers.

• Here is the relevant provision from the Sporting Events (Control of alcohol etc) Act 1985:
    (1)This section applies to a motor vehicle which—
    (a)is not a public service vehicle but is adapted to carry more than 8 passengers, and
    (b)is being used for the principal purpose of carrying two or more passengers for the whole or part of a journey to or from a designated sporting event.
    (2)A person who knowingly causes or permits intoxicating liquor to be carried on a motor vehicle to which this section applies is guilty of an offence—
    (a)if he is its driver, or
    (b)if he is not its driver but is its keeper, the servant or agent of its keeper, a person to whom it is made available (by hire, loan or otherwise) by its keeper or the keeper’s servant or agent, or the servant or agent of a person to whom it is so made available.
    (3)A person who has intoxicating liquor in his possession while on a motor vehicle to which this section applies is guilty of an offence.

Ha! ha! ha!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2013
    Got a grass with them
  • we got a copper
  • b) so if I hired a minibus to go up to The Open golf this year, and we had alcohol, we'd be in breach of law? That's bollocks. Or by 'designated' they might mean football...
  • The class A drug was probably spot cream knowing that silly club's fans.
  • or some face in the local pub seen their spotty faces and gave them some new era....
  • RedPanda said:

Or by 'designated' they might mean football...

Spot on
  • Drink was banned from coaches because idiots cant stop at 2 or 3 and enjoy a day out without spoiling it for others.
    Nothing wrong with getting drunk (if thats what you want) but coach load after coach of beered up males isn't a good idea, in my opinion anyway.

Was put in to stop rows at service stations in front of frightened kids.

"Are you Glover in disguise ?"