Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Any musicians on Charlton Life?

Comments

• I'm big down under.

Bit too much info for me there mate.
  • Play guitar but haven't really played / practiced in years. Considered buying a cello.
  • Drunk karaoke singer.
  • Where's olly

And how are the van Susan's
  • I play guitar and write my own music, I also manage a few acts. My old band supported Bloc Party and Bombay Bicycle club + had a few Radio One plays.

I'm currently writing for a new band and gigging around the usual London hotspots, Shoreditch, Camden etc etc
  • Was a singer with a couple of covers bands nothing major . Always waned to learn guitar but just ain't got the time or patience ?
  • Saga Lout said:

Play guitar in a band which meets occasionally. I am it's leader and I am fcuk-useless at getting us gigs.

Also I can be found most Wednesday nights at the Vigo Inn Blues Jam. The venue is on the A227. Would be great to see all Lifer musicians there one of these Wednesday nights!

youtube.com/vigobluesjam

Saga, I didnt know you went to the blues night, The Vigo is only 5 mins from my gaff. I was talking to Andy a couple of week ago about getting a gig there. He mentioned the blues night.
    I'll pop along to the next one.
    Cheers
  • Greenie said:

I think there are one or two on here.
    I play guitar, sing, write, play in a couple of bands, just finished my solo stuff, its taken 16 months from start to finish.
    After a crap day at work there's nothing like playing some blues or such like to relax, that and a bottle of JD.

Would love to hear some of your stuff mate.

If anyone has anything to show then put it up,like finding new music.

I'm currently recording a solo EP, it's been stop and start but with a few gigs including with Van Susans and playing at the Purple Turtle in Camden. A gig what had snow come down 2 hours before set to sound check and having to change to an acoustic set that they as my old drummers grandad went into hospital.
    Great story Cafc-4-life, its what its all about.
    As requested. This is what a nearly 50 year old writes about.

Here is a link to my album 'Waltz-N-All', so called because I recorded most of it live in one or two takes, so if there is the odd bum, it stays in. I love live music and wanted to try and get the live feel, so I didn't over do the vocals by double tracking etc.
    Some of the songs are autobiographical, and some are not and some are maybe just an emotion, or an observation, but when I write I try to create a story, a bit poncy but there you go.

I recorded it and produced it with a bloke I have played with for 25 years, on a couple of tracks we trade guitar licks/riffs again all live in the studio in one take. He also plays piano and Hammond on a couple of tracks.
    Influences are Clapton, Gibbons, Petty, Rossi, Gallagher (Rory and Noel).
    Gansta rap it is not.

Oh yeh, the last track, Another Cold Friday, is dedicated to my kids and also all fathers who dont see their kids that often, through no fault of their own. Recorded live, me and an acoustic and I over dubbed some lead stuff on a 63 Telecaster, but pulled it way back in the mix.

Headphones on and turn it up. Cheers

http://green0.bandcamp.com/
  • i played bass in a band called The Vivians a few years ago. Got some Radio One play. Well good fun.
  • It sounds like we have enough different instrument players on here that we could make a big charlton band ha.

I'll check out everyone's music they've posted later when I finish work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hey Greenie just had a listen and good stuff. I have seen you post many times about Status Quo and for sure Bad Girls is really influenced by them. It's funny how you get started for one reason or another, for me it was listening to Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton but I also loved Peter Green and Paul Kossoff. But what is interesting is how you continue to find new players that you grow to love.

I had a big break from playing (more than 20 years) so had to start from scratch again and one of the guitarists I got into immediately was Rick Parfitt, that guy is like a metronome, and I mean that in a good way, how the hell he keeps that rhythm going so perfectly is amazing it really is a case of making something very difficult look easy.

In latter years I got into Stevie Ray Vaughn who was probably the coolest guitarist I ever saw and now it's Joe Bonamassa who is sensational. I will try to get to Vigo sometime although my job has me travelling all over the place.

Will definitely download the album.....good one
  • Guitar
    and listening a lot to Steve Vai and Joe Satriani.
  • Hey Greenie just had a listen and good stuff. I have seen you post many times about Status Quo and for sure Bad Girls is really influenced by them. It's funny how you get started for one reason or another, for me it was listening to Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton but I also loved Peter Green and Paul Kossoff. But what is interesting is how you continue to find new players that you grow to love.

I had a big break from playing (more than 20 years) so had to start from scratch again and one of the guitarists I got into immediately was Rick Parfitt, that guy is like a metronome, and I mean that in a good way, how the hell he keeps that rhythm going so perfectly is amazing it really is a case of making something very difficult look easy.

In latter years I got into Stevie Ray Vaughn who was probably the coolest guitarist I ever saw and now it's Joe Bonamassa who is sensational. I will try to get to Vigo sometime although my job has me travelling all over the place.

Will definitely download the album.....good one

Thanks for your kind words Dave, its always nervy laying down your creative and emotional intelligence on a public forum!!
    re Quo, people dismiss them I know (in fairness Rossi and Parfitt have turned in Morecambe and Wise) but they both are blinding players, Parfitt uses open G tuning (same as Keef) which is an art in itself. But both him and Keef are the epitome of rhythm guitar players and for different reasons IMO.
    Great names you mention there, SRV was a sublime player, BUT Bonamassa is the mutts, at the moment bar Clapton I dont think anyone can touch him.
    I hope you enjoy the album, cheers.
  • I have worked as a backing singer before on a couple of occasions, did audition and got accepted for a band but turned it down as not able to commit.
  • DA9 said:

I have worked as a backing singer before on a couple of occasions, did audition and got accepted for a band but turned it down as not able to commit.

• DA9 said:

I have worked as a backing singer before on a couple of occasions, did audition and got accepted for a band but turned it down as not able to commit.

My quiffs higher
  • So's your voice!
  • So's your voice!

"Dont leave me this way"
  • Greenie said:

Saga Lout said:

Play guitar in a band which meets occasionally. I am it's leader and I am fcuk-useless at getting us gigs.

Also I can be found most Wednesday nights at the Vigo Inn Blues Jam. The venue is on the A227. Would be great to see all Lifer musicians there one of these Wednesday nights!

youtube.com/vigobluesjam

Saga, I didnt know you went to the blues night, The Vigo is only 5 mins from my gaff. I was talking to Andy a couple of week ago about getting a gig there. He mentioned the blues night.
    I'll pop along to the next one.
    Cheers
    Andy's a great guy - if it's not too busy on a Wednesday he tinkles the ivories for us jammers.

As with all such nights, how good it is depends on who turns up. It has been really good the last couple of nights. See you there - hope I recognise you!
  • Apologies for the Northern stereotype but I played trombone in a brass band when I was a kid. Can also string a few chords together on a guitar.

Really wish I could sing.
  • Sponsored links:

• I blow my own trumpet now and again as do many others on here does that count ?
  • RedChaser said:

I blow my own trumpet now and again as do many others on here does that count ?

There's a few five finger picilo experts.
  • i was once in a group called squeeze

The drummer per chance?

Now you're just up the junction! :-)

Once? Was you too cool for cats and left?

I'll get my coat.
  • Played guitar/bass for 30 years, played at some half decent venues including The Cavern (Liverpool), The Marquee and, er, The Old Tiger's Head (Lee). Anyone on here want to play Mod-inspired covers/Beatles/Small Faces/Jam/Who then give me a shout.
  • Play Bass and bad Guitar. Currently trying to learn to sight read. That Sh*t is tricky.
  • I played guitar and sang in an obscure indie band in the 80s. I've been known to accompany myself singing a mix of Johnny Cash and old IWW songs, but am out of practice. My daughter plays the harp.