Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Goal Line Technology

2»

Comments

• Options
    Some interesting comments and opinion. The consensus is that GL technology is a good thing and that technology to ascertain offside or not would be too complicated. Some are adamant that technology is NOT a good thing. I have some sympathy for that point of view. But .....
    As for me .. I think GL technology is not required. I would go for four assistant referees, two of whom concentrate solely on offsides. Goal or no goal ? .. when the referee gets it wrong the fourth (under my regime 6th) official with access to TV replays, should be empowered to tell the referee and overrule him. No longer should the referees' (the on the field referee that is) decision be final. Wrong is wrong. There is too much at stake money and career wise to let blatant errors stand.
  • Options
    My gut feeling is that we should leave things be. Football is without question the greatest sport on the planet by miles and miles. It offers everything one could want from a spectator sport. All I want from my referees and linesmen is competence as far as anyone can expect from a human being and honesty. If that is satisfied I can cope with the swings and roundabouts of honest but incorrect decisions. If it ain't broke don't fix it is my view.
  • Options

My gut feeling is that we should leave things be. Football is without question the greatest sport on the planet by miles and miles. It offers everything one could want from a spectator sport. All I want from my referees and linesmen is competence as far as anyone can expect from a human being and honesty. If that is satisfied I can cope with the swings and roundabouts of honest but incorrect decisions. If it ain't broke don't fix it is my view.

I'm very much in the Stig and SHG camp on this one. If, and it's a big if for me, we have to have more technology in the game it has to stop there. That means not extending it to whether it crossed the byline or touchline, not extending it to see whether the keeper's carried out outside the box or if it's a penalty, etc, etc.

Cliché or not I fear this might be the thin end of the wedge and we'll end up with managers calling for third umpire decisions, etc and the game will be less entertaining for a lack of controversy and incident.
  • Options
    God forbid the dreaded "time out"
  • Options
    Back to the offside issue. Yesterday Newcastle lost to Sunderland at home. Offside was the deciding factor in this volatile and important derby with relegation and all that that means to the losers a distinct possibility. Newcastle had a goal disallowed for offside, the goal should have stood, Sunderland's second goal was scored from an offside position. There was not a hint of any need for goal line technology during the game.
    The offside question MUST be resolved by the 'authorities'. GL Technology is a 'vote winner' and a sexy issue for an event which rarely happens, offside is an issue which occurs regularly.
  • Options
    I have never been a real advocate of adding this stuff to football

But for goals it needs to be done as there is now too many cameras at a game that highlights the goals within seconds and it wouldn't stop the flow of play

wouldn't ever like to see the game stopping for offsides and fouls every few mins but it will happen hopefully It will be another 150 yrs

• Options

I'm very much in the Stig and SHG camp on this one. If, and it's a big if for me, we have to have more technology in the game it has to stop there. That means not extending it to whether it crossed the byline or touchline, not extending it to see whether the keeper's carried out outside the box or if it's a penalty, etc, etc.

Cliché or not I fear this might be the thin end of the wedge and we'll end up with managers calling for third umpire decisions, etc and the game will be less entertaining for a lack of controversy and incident.
    Spot on. That is exactly my worry too.
  • Options
    The technology does already exist for offside. Would need to be judged by a ref in the stand, but the technology will say if a player is an offside position. Eventually, it will come in. It just takes a long time with football.
  • Options
    BREAKING: All @EFL play-off fixtures to use goal-line technology this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hawkeye were in measuring up all the grounds that could have made it a few weeks ago, including floodlight tests, which are going to test the system hugely
  • Options
    Seems like it's going to be used for all the play off matches then judging by the goal given for Tranmere last night.
  • Options
    Seems daft to not use it for regular games now, seeing that grounds will have to install the equipment for the playoff games
  • Options
    Very interesting that they’re using it for the play offs but didn’t use it all grounds for FA Cup and League Cup games as the technology couldn’t be used.
  • Options
    Was in Crossbars quite early and watched it being tested in both goals - quite an interesting process, which included the ball being forced into the side netting at a high level.

Is it activated at our home games?
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Was in Crossbars quite early and watched it being tested in both goals - quite an interesting process, which included the ball being forced into the side netting at a high level.

Is it activated at our home games?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39578985

According to this the Championship has used it since 2017/18
  • Options
    It looks to have been a successful non controversial introduction from the off.
  • Options

The EFL is incredibly frustrated that a technology failure at Huddersfield Town and Blackpool has overshadowed a fantastic weekend of action on the pitch.
    https://www.efl.com/news/2022/september/efl-statement-huddersfield-town-v-blackpool/
  • Options
    clive said:

The EFL is incredibly frustrated that a technology failure at Huddersfield Town and Blackpool has overshadowed a fantastic weekend of action on the pitch.
    https://www.efl.com/news/2022/september/efl-statement-huddersfield-town-v-blackpool/
    Does anyone know if a referee has ever overruled the technology? 

It seems that in this case, the officials did not see the ball cross the line. But what they have done if they HAD seen it cross the line?
  • Options
    Technology is ruining sport. VAR, goal line stuff just get it right or ditch it. 5 minutes to make a decision, totally unacceptable.