Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Neil Warnock - director of football?

13»

Comments

• Options
    He has the eagle on his chest. Tainted.
  • Options
    Powells doing fine on his own thanks.
  • Options
    No thanks the blokes a complete twat, total opposite to Chris Powell, a real gentleman.
  • Options
    Hasn't resigned. Rumour on Twitter same as Pullis.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Powell started his career at Palace...
  • Options

Exactly. How many people in a normal management role enjoy some bloke coming in above them in a role which previously didnt exist, but appears to take way the more interesting bits of your own role?

Crap idea. Should be resisted almost as strongly as the idea of getting rid of Chris altogether.

• Options
    no thanks. CP is doing pretty well without a DOF. Warnock woudl be a black cloud hanging over CP, anytime we lost it would be bring in Warnock.
  • Options

Exactly. How many people in a normal management role enjoy some bloke coming in above them in a role which previously didnt exist, but appears to take way the more interesting bits of your own role?

Crap idea. Should be resisted almost as strongly as the idea of getting rid of Chris altogether.

what are the interesting bits? I'm sure that CP doesn't find dealing with agents etc interesting, more a pain in the arse I'd guess. What if a DOF took away from CP all the crap leaving CP to concentrate on playing matters only, would that not be a good thing? Not saying I agree with Warnock being that DOF though but if it were an older person not interested in management anymore, therefore not threatening to CP, and someone that CP feels he can work with then why not?

• Options
    Does he live in the West Country? He certainly used to live in south-east London and for a number of years was a regular attender at Kent cricket matches when the county was playing at Beckenham and Tunbridge Wells.

Away from the football touchline, he turned out to be a charming, friendly, approachable chap, very intelligent and with absolutely no 'side' to him at all.

I think it is unlikely to happen. But if it did he and Powell could be a very good pairing, in my view.

• Options
    I presume his family house is in the West Country, but that he got a London place when he managed Palace (and then QPR). And the Beckenham ground is right next to the Palace training ground!

• Sponsored links:

• Options

He'll go to Plymouth. He has said that his last job would be there.

He said Palace would be he last job too. He then went to QPR and Leeds.

He's a very love or hate him type of manager. Seems to be in love with Palace (but then again, who isnt?)
  • Options
    hes not a favourite of mine ...but heard hes a nice chap away from football
  • Options

masicat said:

Powell started his career at Palace...

I am we'll aware of that. He has had laser surgery.

• Options
    He was living in Richmond when he was at QPR. Might still own his house there.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    In an interview just after he left Leeds he said that his home is in the West Country and he would like a job two or three days a week within a couple of hours drive. Seems to rule a job in London out. Thank God.
  • Options

what are the interesting bits? I'm sure that CP doesn't find dealing with agents etc interesting, more a pain in the arse I'd guess. What if a DOF took away from CP all the crap leaving CP to concentrate on playing matters only, would that not be a good thing? Not saying I agree with Warnock being that DOF though but if it were an older person not interested in management anymore, therefore not threatening to CP, and someone that CP feels he can work with then why not?

You're right, we should bring Warnock in to deal with agents. That man has the patience of a saint.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

You're right, we should bring Warnock in to deal with agents. That man has the patience of a saint.
    It's Prothero's job to deal with agents and negotiations, not Powell's. I can't see why we would need a director of football and Prothero.
  • Options
    Thank God I re-read that. After the death of Margaret Thatcher, I initially thought it read Neil Kinnock...
  • Options
    No thanks! Would rather have Curbs as DOF.

Exactly what I was going to say.
  • Options

It's Prothero's job to deal with agents and negotiations, not Powell's. I can't see why we would need a director of football and Prothero.
    Warnock can turn up for the days Prothero is off - part time rotation :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Large

I pretty much agree with you there, but the implication of that is that a Director of Football is from a different background to a classic manager. I think that is generally the model in continental Europe, where Chris Powell would be described as the 'coach'. As Airman says, it is -supposed to be - Prothero's job, and in terms of his cv that makes sense to me.