Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Railway engineering works whinge

The 2nd week running when the trains have been affected. I know they have lots of things to consider, but it's a shame they couldn't perhaps time these works to avoid Charlton home games. Next weekend for example. And especially against a team with a large away support, like Leeds.

And not put 6 car trains on, like the train I took to the game, which resulted in people being left behind at Lewisham.

Comments

• Options
    Southeastern really are a bunch of clueless fuckwits aren't they??
  • Options
    It's not Southeastern that plan it, it's Network Rail
  • Options
    But it was Southeastern who stuck a 6 car train on, when they knew that most of the Charlton trains had been cancelled...
  • Options
    Does NP work for.....
    Oh, right.
  • Options

But it was Southeastern who stuck a 6 car train on, when they knew that most of the Charlton trains had been cancelled...

Down to the availability of rolling stock
  • Options

Whose rolling stock?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Whose rolling stock?
    Most stock are owned by Network Rail but loaned to the TOC's
  • Options
    So, Southeastern's then. Next.
  • Options
    Next please
  • Options
    The rolling stock availability is entirely down to Southeastern, nothing to do with Network Rail who control the track. You'd have thought that with all those other trains cancelled, they'd be swimming in spare stock anyway!

The engineering work is Network Rail's fault though...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2013

But they choose to run six carriage trains Nathe!!!
  • Options

But they choose to run six carriage trains Nathe!!!
    It is network rail that plan the work and of course they dont care wether their is a football match on or not As for southeastern they also dont care how many carriages are on at the weekend.the depots are full of trains they dont put out 10 car trains to save on maintaince.If there was no availability how would they run a peak service on monday morning.
  • Options
    Didn't know whether to start a thread but it's just a quick question.

Does anyone know how to get a free version of the auto CAD software?
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

I think you can get a free copy if you're a student. If I remember correctly you're doing an engineering course - check if the college is eligible here first https://www.autodesk.com/education/edu-software/overview?sorting=featured&page=1
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

I know a fair few CAD folk so have asked for you. You can get a 30 day free trial through Autodesk but will find out about any back-doors for a full free version.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    @Dave2l I have it on very good authority that Microstation is the preferred software in Rail engineering. A lot of rail CAD folk would happily see AutoCAD 'put on a bonfire' (literally from the horses mouth).

For instance, London Underground (TfL) used to only use Microstation (and it was mandated in their standards). However, since the introduction of BIM, which allows delivery by both pieces of software, the rail industry has had to become a bit more flexible....mainly due to smaller contractors only using AutoCAD.

Microstation is required for 3D modelling, though.

That's before you get in to overseas manufacturers using neither products.

I'll update as and when I hear anything about free software.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    @Dave2l it would seem that the days of copied software in the CAD world are over. It used to be pretty endemic but not so anymore. This has come from a cross section of CAD users and a lot of very experienced draughts-people that use or have used both pieces of software.

Latest AutoCAD prices are approx £1800 and Microstation £2400.
  • Options
    May I ask if engineering works go on during the day and/or the night?
    I remember them happening on Sundays.
    Here in France they happen at night allowing the trains to travel by day. Sounds good unless you live by the railway line like us. The whinge is all mine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Dave2l it would seem that the days of copied software in the CAD world are over. It used to be pretty endemic but not so anymore. This has come from a cross section of CAD users and a lot of very experienced draughts-people that use or have used both pieces of software.

Latest AutoCAD prices are approx £1800 and Microstation £2400.

Thanks for the info.

That's way out my price range but might be a way I could get it.

Mostly just be for practice as it's important for the field I wish to enter.

Quite like the potential idea of working from home!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    @Big_Bad_World spotted over the weekend ....

Man Driving Train And Uk High Resolution Stock Photography and Images -  Alamy

Yes - that spanner masquerade is slipping.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

The bloke sitting behind the driver looks a right player.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

The bloke sitting behind the driver looks a right player.
    Steampunk ... and the bloke behind him. 
  • Options
    @Dave2l if you need any of the latest LU regs from the LU guidance notes drop me a DM as I have all of of them
    on a hard drive and will send them across.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:
    @Dave2l if you need any of the latest LU regs from the LU guidance notes drop me a DM as I have all of of them
    on a hard drive and will send them across.

Didn't see this until now. Thanks for the offer.

I enquired with someone earlier today...that I happen to be meeting tomorrow. 

Got autoCad 2021 downloading on my laptop now. 30mins away. It's free for a year I think.
  • Options

My attempt at making the batmobile didn't quite go to plan
  • Options
    Looks like it's got a full tank.