Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Smoking Ban

Straight off the bat. I HATE SMOKING. I cant wait till the UK gets its act together and bans smoking in July. We have smoking bans here in Canada and in New Zealand where i lived before. Those bans went off without a hitch. I'm sure we will hear all the wingers moaning that they cant have a pint and a fag. It's going to be fantastic to go down the pub and not coming home smelling of smoke. The worse thing is in the morning for a non smoker whose been in a smoking environment you stink of cigarettes and you clothes reek like they've been in an ashtray all night. How is the smoking ban going at the valley? Can you smoke in the concourses but not in the seats? Any way i will get down of my high horse.

Comments

• Options
    ScoSco
    edited March 2007
    It will be nice, but I am not as passionate about it as you. Accepted a long time ago that fags are part of going to pub - many of my friends still smoke and I like their company. They'll have to do the acceptance part now and if they want to give up, it may make it easier for them.

Currently can smoke on the concourses which on the upper north can get quite smokey admittedly.
  • Options
    Concourses on the upper north are a joke. Wouldn't be at all surprised if food sales have slumped as it can't be pleasant eating in all that smoke
  • Options
    the valleys policy at the moment is no smoking in the seats but allowed to smoke on the concourses. which is a bit crap as at half time when people are serving/eating food the place is rammed with all the smokers getting their fix. total ban comes in next season i think.
  • Options
    It would have been so much nicer to ban the smoking in the concourses and let people smoke in the seats. When i went to the Blackburn game in December i had just gone through the turnstiles and was just going up the stairs and the smoke was so thick. I'm assuming when the ban comes in to ban smoking where food is sold they will have a total ban at the Valley? I'm quite passionate about the subject because I've lost someone close to Lung Cancer and like all other smokers she thought it wouldn't happen to her. It just annoys me that smokers are quite selfish. I like breathing clear air. What i have notice here in Canada is that Smokers are congregating outside of the doors to restaurants/pubs etc so you have to walk through the smoke to go inside these places.
  • Options
    Gave up in October 06 - still difficult to be in a smoking situation (i.e.pubs etc) but I accept that its peoples right to smoke in the same way that it's peoples right not to have to breathe it in or go home stinking like an ashtray. This is a difficult issue...after all, if we all gave up smoking, who would fund the NHS? taxes up again!! :-)

Glad to hear you have clean air in Canada - could you ship some over here!!
  • Options
    I know its the persons right, but we all like going to the pub, it would just be nice to have a drink and talk without having to breathe in someone else contents of there lungs. I will bring some clean air with me when i come home in two weeks. PS the NHS is a dead dodo. We will all have private medical insurance in 10 years. i guarantee.
  • Options
    I have the opposite opinion of many of you, you could just go to a non smoking pub? Why force your opinion on the rest of us ;(
  • Options
    I like a smoke & thing it's another heavy handed approach to something that people enjoy doing. Shame they cannot get this heavy handed with criminals & ayslum seekers over here. For the record though I will be making a concerted attempt to give up from the 1st July seeing as the only places I tend to smoke, Football, Clubs & pubs it will be banned in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CanadaAddick[/cite]Any way i will get down of my high horse.

must be awfully high up there.

one thing that will change apart from non smokers lovely clothes not smelling of smoke is that the atmosphere will be fragmented as half the group will be outside smoking while the other half are inside. apparently tho in ireland a lot of couples have met this way (popping out for a quick smoke and chatting) so its good for the romance side.
    in dublin last year one of the biggest pubs in temple bar had set up patio heaters in the little garden area, it was mobbled and more smoky than being inside! worse than the concourse.

there is a pub round the corner here in the city that is non smoking. it works well its very busy. Why cant it be put in place that a pub is either smoking or non then its that persons choice to drink there/work there or not.

I only smoke when drinking so am hoping this will make me cut down... but i can see everyone sitting in beer gardens now until november.... neighbours to pubs will be complaining about the noise outside etc due to the smokers out the front and back. it will work i suppose but it wont half take the fun out of going to the pub.
  • Options
    as a smoker, I can't wait for it.

Fed up with my clothes reeking of the stuff having spent a couple of hours in a pub. Smoke a lot more in the pub than elsewhere, so will help me either cut down or give up, if i haven't done by then already.

bring it on !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Funny but as a non smoker, apart from the "clothes effect" i quite like the faint smell of smoke in a pub, trouble is that most of the time it gets overbearing.

Try the Harp (great old fashioned Pub) at the back of the Collesium, generally worse than the concourse in the lower north at half time.

Hopefully it will have a positive effect on people stopping, as a lot of the posts above seem to imply.
  • Options
    Can't wait, nice to go out and not have to put up with all that smoke anymore and also to come home without all your clothes reeking of smoke.

As for the concourses at the moment, thick with smoke - who's dumb idea was it to ban smoking in the seats but still allow it in the concourses?
  • Options
    It's working pretty well in Scotland - pubs are much more pleasant to go to now, and has encouraged more of them to have decent outdoor areas.

When the ban first came in the pubs still stank though- either of BO or stale drink, as there was no smell of smoke covering it up! Most of them have got that sorted now, thankfully...
  • Options
    I Know its a sensitive subject, i was just having one of those days yesterday. What iv'e been told about pub gardens by a pub landlord, if they serve food in the garden then smoking will be banned. Replying to Curb_It, it is a long way down from the horse because im a short arse. C'mon you addicks thump those barcodes!!!