Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brighton by car

2»

Comments

• What a poxy place to get to and out of. Took us 1 hour to find somewhere to park, and also 1 hour to get back to car. The place was pandemonium with people everywhere and huge queues for the train that i wanted to keep my son away from.
    Nice stadium and people, but never again do i want to experience that rubbish againin getting to and from a ground - think i'd rather have the Palace 3 mile enforced hike than that rubbish.

Took us well over an hour to get back to the sea front. You see a lot of home fans leave early at that is the clue. A major flaw, that takes a bit of the shine from a lovely stadium.
  • edited April 2013
    We found the park and ride to be good, where warned about Mill Road so as we wanted a quick bite before the game, we headed for the Marina and then to the park and ride at the race course. Only fault there was a lack of lighting on the return journey. Left the ground promptly and got on a bus by 10 back at the race course by 10:20 and a quick get away, thought the service was very good.

I think if you didn't get on the initial 8 buses / coaches that where laid on then you did have to wait a long while for these to return, however having being warned about this and planning my loo break for 15 minutes to go we got away quickly. I thought the whole experience was good.

Seats where great (padded), but we where about 4 rows from the front and I found that I had difficulty judging distance down the far end. Apart from that I thought it was a good night out.
  • Always do your research before you go to a new ground. Makes life a lot less stressful.
  • It would be fine during the weekend when you could stay for a pint after the game, the trains yesterday were a joke. They need to extend that platform and get bigger trains, or at least make sure they're full before they depart.
  • is it just pure rumours or truth that no london clubs will be allowed matches there on weekends?
  • Yeovil don't seem so bad now, does it eh?
    ;0)
  • Took over a hour to get the train back to Lewes, good job it was only cold and not raining. Felt like I was waiting for a ride at Alton Towers. I'm all the for DDA, however when you see an old boy with a walking stick being let through, it's a good thing, however the other ten fit people in his party, it's taking the p.
  • Back at London Bridge by 2330. Legged it back to Falmer station as soon as the final whistle went, and waited 5 mins for a train back to Brighton.
  • Does anymore know if the official coaches got in and out ok without being held up?
    That could me the way too go.
  • Yep no problems at all got there at 6.15 home by 11.15
  • Sponsored links:

• I was home before 11.30, park and ride at the race course. Thought it all worked very well.
  • My mate just texted. Parked 500 yards away from Amex but it cost £13!

Got to the ground early hoping to blag a parking space somewhere close to the stadium. No chance, but was directed to a car park just down the road. How much to park I enquired?

''Well it was £10 for the recent England game so it's bound to be cheaper tonight!''

£13 f***ing quid, robbing bastards. Took ages to get out of as well.
  • If they stay in the Championship, I'll do the same with parking at the University site, easy access back to the M23, buses got there in about 10 minutes after the game, and no hassle getting out. Only issue was the roadworks on the M25, nothing better then it being reduced to one lane for no good reason.
  • is it just pure rumours or truth that no london clubs will be allowed matches there on weekends?

No London side (or Leeds) have been allowed there for a saturday league game. Arsenal played there in the FA Cup though.
  • As for the getting home. We booked a cab from the coach park for 21.45, were at Brighton station by 22.05 just in time for the 22.07 train home. Couldn't have gone any better really.
  • Valley Express 1615 from B'heath.

arrive at Amex at 1750hrs (having got lost).

plenty of beer time in the ground.

watch match. enjoy match although sh** pants.

back on coach by 2200hrs and back to B'heath just after 2300hrs.

piece of p***.
  • Paid £13 for the car park. In hindsight should have done the park and ride but I didnt want to miss the start so the car park was the winner. Played so well so worth it in the end, had we been beaten 4-0 im sure my tone would have been "robbing bastards" nice little earner for someone!

No London side (or Leeds) have been allowed there for a saturday league game. Arsenal played there in the FA Cup though.
    Why so ?
  • I assume the reason would be that they think because it's not so far, that fans of London teams would be more likely to turn up en masse, get hammered and stay the weekend and they don't want groups of drunk blokes in their town causing trouble. And Leeds is probably because of their reputation.
  • I assume the reason would be that they think because it's not so far, that fans of London teams would be more likely to turn up en masse, get hammered and stay the weekend and they don't want groups of drunk blokes in their town causing trouble. And Leeds is probably because of their reputation.

Quadrophenia all over again.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think if you didn't get on the initial 8 buses / coaches that where laid on then you did have to wait a long while for these to return, however having being warned about this and planning my loo break for 15 minutes to go we got away quickly. I thought the whole experience was good.

Great, so to ensure I don't have a 45 min wait for a bus back to the park & ride I have to miss part of the game by taking my call of nature before the game ends. I think we should ask for an American style "time out" and then we can all go for a leek...........

• I think if you didn't get on the initial 8 buses / coaches that where laid on then you did have to wait a long while for these to return, however having being warned about this and planning my loo break for 15 minutes to go we got away quickly. I thought the whole experience was good.

Great, so to ensure I don't have a 45 min wait for a bus back to the park & ride I have to miss part of the game by taking my call of nature before the game ends. I think we should ask for an American style "time out" and then we can all go for a leek...........

Up to you Golfaddick how you organise your life, i just pointed out what i did and how well it worked out for me. As a matter of fact i didnt miss any of the game as i went to toilet during a short break in play, however i suggest if you require leeks then rather attending a game at Brighton the perhaps you should go to Cardiff in a couple of Tuedays, i understand they sell nice ones :-)
  • So basically, those who planned their travel & left promptly, got away without too much trouble. Those that didn't had a long wait & paid a fair whack.
  • Uni park and ride seems to have been the way to go. We legged it about 2 minutes into injury time, got the third bus and were having a celebratory drink in Tun Wells by 10.45.
  • So basically, those who planned their travel & left promptly, got away without too much trouble. Those that didn't had a long wait & paid a fair whack.

Correct. Knowledge is Power.

• working in town so went by train

1732 from Victoria got to Brighton about 1840. Was going to get in a cheeky beer but saw the queue for the train to Falmer so changed my mind. Got to the ground in plenty of time.

After the game managed to get on the 2207 from Falmer which got me to Brighton in time to catch the 2219 to East Croydon and Victoria

Would have been perfect but there was a delay getting into palarse land and missed the last train to Forest Hill. No trams either due to 'an incident' so my mrs came and collected me, What a treasure :) (and no, she doesn't read CL)

Hopefully next time the match will be on a Saturday!
  • edited April 2013

So basically, those who planned their travel & left promptly, got away without too much trouble. Those that didn't had a long wait & paid a fair whack.

Wow, how smug one can be.
    Ever heard of people having to work til 5.30 ? and not being on their starting blocks knocking people out of the way to get out ?

Ever heard of people having to work til 5.30 ? and not being on their starting blocks knocking people out of the way to get out ?
    Smug, no. Planning ahead, Yes.
  • you lot got in early
    managed to get indoors at 1.50am
    couple of pints in ground afterwards got to falmer station just before half ten still loads of supporters got on a train to brighton about 10.50 decided on getting late one 23.37 back to east croydon
    big mistake got back east croydon hoping to get tram no trams missed last buses so decided to have a little walk

Apologies, I didn't mean to be. However you did say "took us 1 hour to find somewhere to park, and also 1 hour to get back to car."

If you'd worked out where to park, you'd have saved your self an hour before & 45 mins afterwards.