Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shepherding the ball out of play

For me this is something that is becoming quite ridiculous and I think FIFA could fix by introducing a rule that it is obstruction unless you have touched the ball first. A subtle change but it would improve things IMO.

Comments

• Yann took it into his own hands when he tried to murder Greg Halford when he did it.
  • edited March 2013
    If the ball is deemed in playing distance of the defender, then there is no obstruction offence.

Agree though, Muttley - it is frustrating. Your idea that the 'defender must touch the ball first' sounds good to me.

• If the defender has touched the ball why would he then shepherd it out?
  • Exactly the point Rizzo.
  • Been saying this for a long time but rather than the defender having to touch the ball, I would make it that a member of the defender's team has to have been the last person to touch it, that way it would be impossible to shield it out for a goal kick. I think it'd lead to quite a lot of extra goals getting scored.
  • edited March 2013
    Rizzo said:

If the defender has touched the ball why would he then shepherd it out?

But then if the defender touched the ball, he wouldn't shepherd it out - he'd need to try to clear it, or concede the corner or throw.
  • It's a source of frustration and I would welcome a change that would stop it in its current form.
  • To me it's just good defending. Through balls and dribbles need to be better in order not to give the defender the opportunity to do it.
  • It's good football and someting that refs and linos are quite good at checking up on. Leave be.
  • edited April 2013
    It looks strange and looks like obstruction if there is no intent to do anything with the ball - shielding the ball in the middle of the pitch, or before a player is about to produce a bit of skill is definitely an important part of the game. But this rule wouldn't stop that. Good amendment - Exiled- somebody from your team, including yourself must be the last one to touch the ball before you can do it. You will still want to shield the ball, but not to allow it to roll out of play at a snails pace over 10-15 yards!
  • Sponsored links:

• The trouble is referees don't enforce the laws. The interpretation used to be in control of the ball, effectively within a coupole of feet. Now you see players doing it several yards from the ball just blocking the opponent and not within control of the ball.
    Made worse by referees who get very upset if an attacker makes a genuine attempt for the ball by getting round the side.
    But like many aspects of football referees have allowed aspects of gamesmanship to become the norm.
  • The attacking player should take the opportunity to kick the player as hard as he can (in an attempt to get the ball obviously). Give a free kick on the goal line. I never got booked. Simples!
  • Spot on Redman. I've no issue with it when they've clearly got the ball, but in a lot of occasions now, they're more interested in blocking off the opponent - no rule change needed, refs just need to be told from higher up to punish obstruction properly.
  • When did FIFA / the FA stop referees awarding indirect free kicks for obstruction? That's part of the problem. Obstruction is rarely seen as a foul, but isn't that why IFKs were introduced?
  • I'm all in favour of it. It shows good strength and power and is quite rightly part of the modern game.
  • No don't change it. if the ball is in playing didtance of the 'shielder' then it is there to be won. I love it when a forward wins the ball in those circumstances and turns the situation around...a good part of the game.
    What next, the ball is played to the keeper who does not handle it, sometimes they simply wait for ages until a forward has to approach them to make them hurry up. All the time the ball is there to be won, should that be got rid of too?