Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fat cat pay

Was reading the outrage in the (sub) standard tonight about the pay the boss of Centrica - owners of British Gas.

Apparently his basic salary is in the region of £900 k - for being the top man at a profitable business (regardless of whether that is right - they mark dough.)

Remind me, How much does your bog standard 2nd tier footballer earn these days?

Comments

• How tall is he?
  • When you say "bog" standard ...... :P
  • edited March 2013
    The same Substandard that bashes on about the affordable housing crisis whilst having a property section where the average price advertised is about 600 grand for a two bedroom box flat?

Since they took the scrabblegrams out there's even less reason to pick the filthy rag up off the train.
  • Never the same since they got rid of Bristow (18th in line for chief buyer).

• I 'spose it is the " over a barrel" nature of their business Offy. Yes of course "other suppliers are available", but it is such an obvious cartel. The unjustified increases might get on ones wick too. But the comparison with a bladder punter isn't a bad one though.
  • I'm actually not that anti top dogs taking top dollar if they're successful and I'm not a fan of the 'jealousy culture' that seems to be developing in this country where every higher rate tax payer is demonised (as perpetuated by the high earning tabloid execs). But...

I'm pretty sure I could turn a healthy profit running British Gas.

Demand is massively price inelastic, every time your costs go up, just put the price up and protect your margin - you can be pretty sure that the rest of your energy providing friends will do the same and only the consumer will lose.

That'll be £900k please.
  • Leroy had a whole section on the housing boom in Deptford this week,
  • Nothing to stop any of us looking beyond the 'big 6' providers. I switched to Ovo, perfectly happy with it.

Or let's take it to the next level & set up our own company, Charlton Life Energy. We produce plenty of hot air (..fetches coat)
  • Our priorities are all wrong. 2500 more deaths were registered this month than expected and the only explanation is because of the cold weather. Yet those lucky enough to be in control of our resources are given massive bonuses for putting the prices up.
  • I can't see the issue on people earning loads, if you make a company £10m a year profit than you should get at least £1m of that. It's the bonuses for failure that I have issue with.
  • Sponsored links:

• I can't see the issue on people earning loads, if you make a company £10m a year profit than you should get at least £1m of that. It's the bonuses for failure that I have issue with.

If your single handed efforts and innovations have made that possible, I don't think many people would argue FOD. But if your company was already making huge profits when you took over, and if in order to increase those profits you just put prices up because you can, and at the same time you saved on costs by refusing your 1000s of hardworking staff pay increases, or offered them reduced pay increases because the job market is poor and you want to cash in while it is your turn at the trough, then I have a problem with that, as well as the bonuses for failure.

• You are such a lefty P :)

Good luck to the fella I bet he has earned every penny.
  • You are such a lefty P :)

Good luck to the fella I bet he has earned every penny.

I forgot to mention, "and if you only got the job because of who your Dad is"... ;-)

• I have 2 fat cats and they get 7 tins of Whiskas and some dry food each per week, should that be the going rate?

If your single handed efforts and innovations have made that possible, I don't think many people would argue FOD. But if your company was already making huge profits when you took over, and if in order to increase those profits you just put prices up because you can, and at the same time you saved on costs by refusing your 1000s of hardworking staff pay increases, or offered them reduced pay increases because the job market is poor and you want to cash in while it is your turn at the trough, then I have a problem with that, as well as the bonuses for failure.

Fair enough!

Yep, pretty much my thoughts.