Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

WC qualifiers - time for...

...prequalification now surely?

Looking through last nights results there were 2 x 6-0 and our 8-0. Whatever way you look at it in international football there are too many mismatches in these games.

What is the point? Who benefits? Presumably UEFA/FIFA but for us it's a pointless mid-season practise match and for Malta or whoever it's another demoralising defeat and not helping their development whatsoever.

Comments

• Options
    I'd imagine high profile teams playing in those small country's boosts the game there. They are pointless in terms of what happens on the pitch but I think FIFA are hoping it promotes the game off it.
  • Options

I'd imagine high profile teams playing in those small country's boosts the game there. They are pointless in terms of what happens on the pitch but I think FIFA are hoping it promotes the game off it.

Agree. Huge boost to San Marino

Also the last team we beat 8 - 0 was Turkey who have since been to a world cup final.

Pre-qualification makes sense and gives the minnows winnable game IF FIFA/UEFA sort out the financial side for them
  • Options
    As VG says, think the "Profile" & Money help the "Smaller Nations".
  • Options
    Pre qualification makes so much sense. Teams like San Marino, Malta and Scotland should earn the right to play the bigger sides.
  • Options

C'mon it's not like football's a minority sport in any of these countries is it? Do you think there's any Kazak farmers for example, out there in the fields who suddenly realises that the rest of the world plays quite a bit of football?

Yeah the national FA gets a little bit of cash through tv rights I suppose but 'boosting the game' in this day and age when every bar this side of Timbuktu has wall to wall football...nah...not having that.
  • Options
    Isn't it about UEFA having more member countries which in turn means they have more votes/influence on the world stage. I think the Isle of Man and The Vatican may be next.
  • Options
    World Cup isn't too bad it's the euros which is going to be pointless when they extend it. Top 2 from each group will qualify
  • Options
    Bournemouth Addict,
    I think the boost is not that Kazak farmers realise football exists, but rather the income from these games should go to improve facilities, hiring experience coaches etc, which boost the development levels of the smaller nation players. Doubt that many San Marino kids would benefit if all the Senior team could play against were the likes of Luxembourg
  • Options

C'mon it's not like football's a minority sport in any of these countries is it? Do you think there's any Kazak farmers for example, out there in the fields who suddenly realises that the rest of the world plays quite a bit of football?

Yeah the national FA gets a little bit of cash through tv rights I suppose but 'boosting the game' in this day and age when every bar this side of Timbuktu has wall to wall football...nah...not having that.
    So who's being inconvenienced by it??

England and Roy Hodgson seemed quite grateful of it, as it allowed us to get 90 minutes as a unit ( especially the new look defence)

San Marino and its people loved it as it allowed them a high profile game and even a bit of new tourism. If pre qualification was in place then they would have 1 game every 2 years, no funds would be wasted on improving or even upkeeping the game there and it would probably just disappear. That's slightly against the whole point of FIFA isn't it? The people's game?

So really you saying these games should be stopped because they are boring to you at home Sitting on your sofa...so nah...not having it.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    They could have a mini Euro-Championship for all the small countries, not to sure where you would draw the line but say country's with a population of under a million, alternatively teams outside the top 150, it would give the likes of Malta, Andorra and San Marino the chance to play in a proper tournement, something they are unlikely to ever do under the current system.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was there last Night. If San marino don't know about football by now then they never will. It's in italy ffs.
  • Options
    Not sure if it's fair to make certain teams play extra games in order to qualify. Everyone should be on equal footing.

Plus I love the fact that school teachers and plumbers can play against countries like England and Germany.
  • Options
    After witnessing Scotland v Wales at Hampden last night I think Scotland could safely be added to the pre-qual list
  • Options
    edited March 2013

So who's being inconvenienced by it??

England and Roy Hodgson seemed quite grateful of it, as it allowed us to get 90 minutes as a unit ( especially the new look defence)

San Marino and its people loved it as it allowed them a high profile game and even a bit of new tourism. If pre qualification was in place then they would have 1 game every 2 years, no funds would be wasted on improving or even upkeeping the game there and it would probably just disappear. That's slightly against the whole point of FIFA isn't it? The people's game?

So really you saying these games should be stopped because they are boring to you at home Sitting on your sofa...so nah...not having it.
    No what I'm saying is that these games are neither benefiting the bigger countries (anymore than a friendly does) nor the smaller countries who are still getting tonked every match. All this decades after the likes of the Faroe Islands joined FIFA and started playing qualifiers, when they could be playing in a more balanced and helpful pre-qualification tournament such as #Hastings suggests above.

There were less than 5000 people watching the England game last night btw. Once you take the policing costs into account I can't see that it's even a big money spinner in terms of tourism as you suggest. Why would it be only 1 games every 2 years btw? Why not have pre-qualifiers followed by a play-off against the bottom team in the 'big boys' group or something?

What we have at the moment is the footballing equivalent of me giving Roger Federer a knock up. How would that ever help me improve my performance or encourage others to take up tennis?
  • Options
    I was at the Wembley game and it was a complete waste of time for all concerned. I'd say that over the last 10-15 years England have played too many competitive games against weaker nations and too few against the big countries. I've been to all the home matches since the new Stadium was built and I can only recall one competitive match against a decent side. Too many of the international breaks in the football calendar - which inconvenience us all (we have no game today) - are wasted.

This suggestion relates to a broader point which is about how qualification for the World Cup Finals is organised. The politicisation of FIFA has meant that the Finals include an increasing number of no hopers and a competition that has become less interesting and exciting as the years have gone by. Perhaps it would be too complicated to arrange a seeded and staged global qualification, but it would be worth thinking about. We need more games between teams of a similar standard and fewer mismatches.

It's also worth remembering that friendlies have become an increasing irrelevance; they just aren't taken seriously any more. If we (or the football community) want to see England play Brazil, Germany, Italy or the excellent Belgium side, for example, in matches that matter then this has to be either in qualification for or in European Championships and World Cups, but these games are becoming fewer and far between, drowned out by games that do little more than satisfy FIFA's political agenda.

Sky would sort it out!!! Bit ironic that!!
  • Options
    Hang on this is getting more complicated now. You want them to pre qualify for the chance to get knocked out by the team that finishes last in the big boys league? What an incentive! If you played Roger Federer, would you not watch to see what he does, how he goes about his game in a professional manner, would that not improve your game? Would it not be more of an incentive for others if a coach said one day you might get to play Federer in front of 80000 people, or with your idea, one day you might get to play Alex Bogdanovic over and over and over again in front of a couple of hundred?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Not sure about giving Federer a knock up BA, what about CAROLINE WOZNIACKI :-D
  • Options
    @eldavide, isn't that what happens for the Tennis Grand Slams? They have a week of qualifying for the lower ranked players before the tournament kicks off.
  • Options
    eldavide said:

Hang on this is getting more complicated now. You want them to pre qualify for the chance to get knocked out by the team that finishes last in the big boys league? What an incentive! If you played Roger Federer, would you not watch to see what he does, how he goes about his game in a professional manner, would that not improve your game? Would it not be more of an incentive for others if a coach said one day you might get to play Federer in front of 80000 people, or with your idea, one day you might get to play Alex Bogdanovic over and over and over again in front of a couple of hundred?

Blimey, don't ask me to sort out the details I'm just throwing it out there for discussion!

It's a daft analogy of course but how would watching Federer smash ace after ace past me help me in any way when I could perhaps play someone who was only slightly better than me and give me half a chance to progress my game?
  • Options
    San Marino and their like are basically a bunch of your average football fan with a full time job like most of us playing against millionaire super-stars.

I presume they must just enjoy the fact they have a break from their every day working life to take part in such matches but you would think they might prefer having more games agansit fellow minnows in a mini tournament - not only would they be able to play but also potentially win although they have only won ONE match in their history.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Using the same basis then all the clubs that enter the FA Cup qualifying rounds in August shouldn't be there as they have no hope of winning it. BUt theres always the dream that they could get through and play one of the big boys.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    England are pretty dire at International football, compared with the big boys like Spain, Italy , Germany etc, isn't it nice we can give someone in the world a gubbing from time to time.

What do you think the score would be if Charlton played England?

I reckon there'd be a 4 goal margin, but England might get one back :-0

• Options
    iaitch said:

Using the same basis then all the clubs that enter the FA Cup qualifying rounds in August shouldn't be there as they have no hope of winning it. BUt theres always the dream that they could get through and play one of the big boys.

And what's the point of having 32 teams at the World Cup Finals? Some of them are bound to lose all three group matches. Just have the top 8 in the FIFA rankings go straight into quarter-finals.

• Options
    Exactly let's ignore the achievements of winners Greece who no one gave a hope in hell in the Euros 2004!
  • Options

iaitch said:

And what's the point of having 32 teams at the World Cup Finals? Some of them are bound to lose all three group matches. Just have the top 8 in the FIFA rankings go straight into quarter-finals.

Why have the top 8 just have the top 2 and then we don't have to mess around with a one month tournament!!

I'm all for the minnows taking their place in the qualifiers.

As said higher up the thread England thumped Turkey 8-0 many years ago, Turkey have now progressed and are a decent team nowadays but how would they have iumproved if they could only play Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta etc

Also Denamerk won the euros after being called up as a late replacement for Yugoslavia.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

If qualifying for the World Cup worked like the FA Cup there would be no problem. Moreover, I doubt England would ever play San Marino.

In this season's FA Cup there were two preliminary rounds, four qualifying rounds and the first and second rounds proper before clubs from the Premier League and Championship entered the competition. The minnows all got to compete and some enjoyed a "big day", but seeding and pre qualification in the FA Cup prevents a large number of meaningless games. That's the point rightly being made at the top of the thread.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    If it was the same minnows playing pre-qualifying tournaments every two years in a closed shop situation then there would be problems. I'm sure it would be easy to get around that... one way of solving the issue is if one of the minnow nations were to do well, they would then automatically secure their place in the second stage of qualifying for the next two year cycle at the expense of the under-achiever in their group. Like a dynamic relegation/promotion system.

I don't know if any of the above makes sense but it would mean there isn't a problem of restricting football development around Europe.

I think Rugby WC's work in a similar way. Only the top two in each group of 5/6 progress to the QF stage but if you finish third in your group, you secure your place for the next tournament four years later without having to go through additional qualifying matches.
  • Options
    How's it demoralising and what would it achieve, a groups of 5 instead of some groups of 6? Games like last night are something special and are enjoyable for the traveling fans. One of the reasons I find the champions league boring is because it's the same big clubs playing each other each year.
  • Options
    I don't understand how San Marino are so crap. Yeah they have a small population, but you'd expect them at least match teams like Andorra.

They've also had a couple of very good motorcycle racers, so you'd think they can nurture a few decent footballers. Especially since they are basically Italian.
  • Options
    Ok, it worked out fine for us last night in the end thankfully but imagine if we had drawn the game instead and were relying on the result of the San Marino match. Would anyone think differently about pre-qualification in that case? They shipped 8 again last night and playing them and a few others is effectively a bye and I still maintain this can't be fair on anybody in the long run.

Haven't really got an answer for the Dutch putting 8 past Hungary the other night though!