Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If Yugoslavia still existed..what a team they'd have now

Tonight Croatia meet Serbia in a game so toxic it makes Celtic v Rangers look like Charlton v Hartlepool

My Serbian buddy sent me the link to this article which illustrates what a great team "Yugoslavia" would have today. Although I reminded him that we've been there before. The ability of Balkan teams to underperform is legendary.

And if you are interested in the toxic stuff, try this excellent article on the Serbian coach and his Croatian counterpart, and try some of the readers comments below it...despite the fact that away supporters are banned, my buddy is worried about what might kick off after this game.

Comments

• Options
    Might be as well to buy reds and yellows on the index for this one....
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Might be as well to buy reds and yellows on the index for this one....

+1

• Options

Could end up an anti-climax with no away fans.

Footage of Dynamo Zagreb (Croatia) v Red Star Belgrade (Serbia) , 1min 15 sec for Boban's kick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En6wViD1jtY
  • Options
    Yeh nice, bloody throwbacks.
  • Options
    If the UK had one team, what a team we'd have!
  • Options
    Loco said:

England + Bale?
  • Options

Loco said:

England + Bale?
    Might have won something with Giggs
  • Options
    In the nineties maybe with some of the more forward thinking players Wales had and lambert, Collins for Scotland in midfield but not these days.

Serbians are bastards, have a research into what they did during the early nineties in the Balkan wars and it is very difficult to see past that and like anything about them
  • Options
    Tentatively agree. I've met Serbs that were great fun - used to work with a Serbian girl who was once on Yugoslavia's olympic handball team and she was great - but every one I've met has a pretty huge nationalistic streak - her included. Also, they rival only the Spanish for outright racism, in my experience.
  • Options
    Does that make me and you racist for having that view then mate? I've interacted with a lot of Serbs and nationalistic is a very kind way of describing them!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't know about 'racist'. They might consider themselves a 'race', but they're not a 'race' per se. I find it hard to like people whose almost sole universal characteristic is an intense dislike of other races
  • Options
    Loco said:

Would've won a world cup in the 70s and 80s. Look at the make up of the English teams that were winning the European cup back then. I mentioned Yugoslavia at work, they had a great youth side with Davor Suker at the end of the 80s which never got to play together at a senior level.
  • Options
    On the racist front, (and having made friends with people from the region over last 25 years) I can say that racism is a pan-Balkan problem, and is largely down to ignorance. Even my really good Bulgarian buddy, he who is Kishi's mate, suffers from it. But I notice that after 20 years in Canada he has changed a lot for the better in this regard.

You shouldn't be in any doubt that a lot of Croats behaved every bit as badly as the Serbs in the 90s. The Croats have long and dishonourable tradition of supporting Fascism don't forget.

In the mid 90s in Prague a lot of young and educated Yugoslavs from Serbia Croatia and from Bosnia arrived as economic refugees. A lot of them arrived in my office hoping to find a marketing job. That is when I decided that the Bosnian Muslims were the innocent ones. I can still remember one attractive Muslim girl (who dressed just like her Serbian counterparts) telling me how it was in Sarajevo: "We would all mix together. We all had the same lives. Then one day the Serbs got the call. We woke up and realised that our neighbours had guns, and we did not..." Having said that, I would meet the Bosnian Muslims and the Serbs in the evenings all happily mixing together. In the Balkans, nothing is straightforward.
  • Options

Loco said:

England + Bale?
    Which would still win nothing
  • Options
    At Exit festival a few years ago I was speaking to a Partizan fan and I asked him what would happen if they played Dinamo. His response was "Death. Blood. Riot. Gun. Kill..." I went to get a drink quite quickly after that.
  • Options
    Yes. No defence to the warload's shennanigans 91-95

But that doesnt speak for all serbians. People forget that serbia fought nobly for the allies in ww2 whereas croatia sided with the nazis.

My pal told me that the border been locked down for 72 hours before this game. He said the control stations were sending back any likely lads whilst allowing women through. To which my other mate replied -"how u tell the difference like"

:;
  • Options
    The women are the ones with moustaches.
  • Options
    I've met a fair few Serbs who weren't racist/nationalist, but they have been quick to characterise nationalism as one of the bigger problems they face. And I've been fairly shocked by people from Hungary or Romania who were ethnic Hungarians who live here talking about the Roma in terms they don't even realise are racist. And these are people who have no problem with black people or anything, but the way they talked about the Roma was like going back to the 70s.
    But back to the football, all the ex-Yugoslav countries punch way above their weight compared to population, Serbia's not much more than Scotland, Croatia is about the same as the Republic and Montenegro is about the same as Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    rananegra said:

I've met a fair few Serbs who weren't racist/nationalist, but they have been quick to characterise nationalism as one of the bigger problems they face. And I've been fairly shocked by people from Hungary or Romania who were ethnic Hungarians who live here talking about the Roma in terms they don't even realise are racist. And these are people who have no problem with black people or anything, but the way they talked about the Roma was like going back to the 70s.
    But back to the football, all the ex-Yugoslav countries punch way above their weight compared to population, Serbia's not much more than Scotland, Croatia is about the same as the Republic and Montenegro is about the same as Northern Ireland.

Slovenia and Bosnia are no mugs either.
  • Options
    Denmark won the 1992 championship, one of the country's few major football triumphs. The team had qualified only as a result of the breakup and warfare in Yugoslavia.

Yugoslavia squad for Euro 1992:

GK
    Dragoje Lekovic
    Fahrudin Omerovic

DEF
    Branko Brnovic
    Farukh Hadzibegic
    Predrag Spasic
    Ilija Najdoski
    Miroslav Djukic
    Budimir Vujacic
    Dzoni Novak

MID
    Dragan Stojkovic
    Sinisa Mihaljovic
    Mehmed Bazdarevic
    Predrag Mijatovic
    Vladimir Jogovic
    Vujadin Stanojkovic

FOR
    Dejan Savicevic
    Slivisa Jokanovic
    Darko Pancev
    Meho Kodro
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Denmark won the 1992 championship, one of the country's few major football triumphs. The team had qualified only as a result of the breakup and warfare in Yugoslavia.

Yugoslavia squad for Euro 1992:

GK
    Dragoje Lekovic
    Fahrudin Omerovic

DEF
    Branko Brnovic
    Farukh Hadzibegic
    Predrag Spasic
    Ilija Najdoski
    Miroslav Djukic
    Budimir Vujacic
    Dzoni Novak

MID
    Dragan Stojkovic
    Sinisa Mihaljovic
    Mehmed Bazdarevic
    Predrag Mijatovic
    Vladimir Jogovic
    Vujadin Stanojkovic

FOR
    Dejan Savicevic
    Slivisa Jokanovic
    Darko Pancev
    Meho Kodro

I went the tournament and our first game was supposed to be against Yugoslavia. My match ticket for the subsequent Denmark game still had Yugoslavia printed on it as did all the promotional items like badges posters etc
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

At Exit festival a few years ago I was speaking to a Partizan fan and I asked him what would happen if they played Dinamo. His response was "Death. Blood. Riot. Gun. Kill..." I went to get a drink quite quickly after that.

Not "rape, arson, murder and rape" ?

• Options
    You said rape twice

...I like rape.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Sarajevo apart, I would not visit any of these countries as the English are not well liked. Their reasons for hating us? Colonists, Protestants. Awful people, majority racist, the rest over Nationalistic. When I lived there it was brilliant, a fresh wave of optimism and an almost hippie like view of this new age but I remember my gf's sister saying that in a few years it would be back to normal with everyone hating each other again...and so it came to pass.

ps. Never had any problems with the Muslim community.

• Options
    The Croatian's were friendly when i went there maybe_baby. Although they said if one of them went to Serbia his friends would disown him and the police/army would kill them on their return! I'm not sure how much truth was in that but he didn't look like he was lying.
  • Options
    If you ever get an eastern European sounding cabbie in london see how many fingers they have on their left hand.

The serbs are the only military to salute with their left hand and its a sort of point using only three fingers. So they used to like lopping fingers off of prisoners.

That and castration
  • Options
    Serbia played Croatia in a Euro playoff and after getting sent off in Zagreb a Serbian did the 3 finger salute to the home fans...
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

RedPanda said:

that was The Vikings.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="Simonsen"><blockquote class="Quote" rel="RedPanda">At Exit festival a few years ago I was speaking to a Partizan fan and I asked him what would happen if they played Dinamo. His response was "Death. Blood. Riot. Gun. Kill..." I went to get a drink quite quickly after that.</blockquote>

</blockquote>
    That may have been after I left. I thought they were okay on the whole; ask for a light, they'd give you a cig as well. Croats I liked too, you just don't want to get in a discussion about their neighbours. Only an idiot would do that.