Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Recruitment Consultants

Hello Charlton Life

I am soon (on the 1st May) going to be made redundant. (Just what you need before summer)

I just wanted to see if anyone is a recruitment consultant as I've found a couple of adds for the role and the prospects look brilliant...Usually based over a 3-5 year plan.

I know it's a stressful job but past that have no idea what one actually does?

You know the old saying... If it looks too good to be true it usually is.

Many thanks for the serious replies

Darrel

Comments

• Options
    Do you still have my number from the play off game a couple of years back ?

In general, despite what many will say, it is a good option but it really depends on who you work for / with and the sector of recruitment.
  • Options
    Not sure. But given the current Economic climate and jobs market within it, would it not be like helping a group of Eskimo go snow searching in the Sahara?
  • Options
    From working with a few it can be very stressfull, hard work with long hours but in good companies lots of training, support and high rewards if you are good. In the poor firms it is a grind and totally sales/money orientated with a high burn out rate.

If you have very good sales and closing skills, communication and relationship building is what you enjoy and you don't mind long hours and targets then go for it.

There is a good firm in Beckenham I would recommend for first jobbers.
  • Options
    Main question - do/would you like a sales orientated job? If yes its for you!

I have worked with quite a few agencies over last 5 years and imo it takes a certain type of person to do it but there is good money in the commision. I have a couple of mates at different agencies in central london if you want contacts?
  • Options
    Me cousin runs a recruitment consultancy company, if you would like me to pass on your details, inbox me them Daz pal.
  • Options
    Scum of the earth

Personally think they are robbing bastards. One sent me a CV of someone who was already on my radar and when I subsequently employed him they tried to get me to pay them 22% of his salary.

I detest the fact that they place an employee, charge a ridiculous fee and then phone that person a year later and try to get them to move. My wife gets a call every couple of months from the ones who placed her 6 years ago despite her telling them she is not looking to move

They tend to be mouthy wideboys who think they are Gordon Gecko

They tend to not listen to any requirements and just chuck me CV's that are completely irrelevant

My mate did it for a year and said it was ridiculously cut throat environment.

I think I have made my feelings known. Sorry for anyone on here in recruitment but I am not a fan
  • Options
    cross an estate agent with a solicitor and you have got a recruitment consultant. 99 per cent are absolutely useless in my opinion. When I was made redundant I registered and visited about 30 recruitment agencies covering my line of work and of those consultants I'd recommend 2 to a friend and 28 to my enemies. About as much use as a chocolate teapot most of them.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2013
    Like EVERY industry, there are cowboys and wideboys and people who don't do the job properly/ethically. Even more so in recruitment because the barriers to entry are so low yet the promised rewards are so high. The bottom line is though, people use them because they need to.The industry wouldn't be worth circa £25 billion is not.

If you want to be a consultant Dazzler, really get a feel for the company. It is a number games and activity is directly correlated to results - you'll find some companies are still aggressive in their targets and it can be quite cut-throat but there are plenty of "lifestyle" recruitment businesses that have popped up where the pressure isn't as great (but neither are the financial rewards).

I'd personally look for recruiting in a sector that interests you (or you have experience in like insurance) as it is much more enjoyable. As well as IT, I think the big sectors to be in over the next few years will be: Engineering/Energy, Oil and Gas/Healthcare.

If you want some company names Dazzler then let me know.
  • Options
    30 years of contracting in IT and I rarely found a Pimp I could trust. Early days you did tend to have a face to face relationship with these slippery feckers but due to the nature of the business you made sure you got your invoice in and paid asap because these companies went down faster than Monica Lewinsky in the Oval Office. Once the big agencies started to dominate the market and the Internet invaded our lives the game changed beyond all recognition and not for the better either. Now as well as the back stabbing slippery shenanigans, you get a corporate fuck over of incompetence as well into the bargain and that is without all the mindless legal, arse covering paperwork just to start a contract...

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Seconded, steer clear of IT if you can Dazzler
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It always makes me laugh that you see so many adverts for recruitment consultancy jobs. I always think that if it's so difficult for recruitment consultants to sell their own job (effectively) then either (a) they are not very good, or (b) it must be an awful job!

A few years ago I was approached at a graduate fair by a recruitment consultant, trying to recruit more recruitment consultants on behalf of another recruitment consultancy firm. Seriously. You couldn't make it up!

My own experience of using them is much like another other industry - there are good ones and bad ones. The good ones tend to be really good, and the bad ones.....well I think 'scum of the earth' has been mentioned above.

My personal objection is the monopoly that they have built up within certain industry sectors. In my line of work (accountacy) it's nigh on impossible to get a move these days without using one, which really irritates me.
  • Options
    Same with IT, you sometimes go through 2 or 3 layers of 'recruitment' before you actually find out who's paying you. All taking their mark up as well. Try to avoid those situations like the plague.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2013
    Jodaius said:

My personal objection is the monopoly that they have built up within certain industry sectors. In my line of work (accountacy) it's nigh on impossible to get a move these days without using one, which really irritates me.

Is that recruitment consultancies' fault? Not a chance.

I'd look closer to the accountancy firms who obviously don't have the attraction and recruitment strategy in place to deliver candidates direct to them. Or they are just lazy.

That's not applicable to one industry either, there are many 'big' companies who simply don't 'get' recruitment and what in entails from the start to the end of the process - this is why they need recruiters because they fail in their own attempts.

Of course, it could be the jobseekers fault as well. Are they doing enough to get themselves in front of employers? How are they getting themselves noticed? Are they simply giving up at point of application? Are they doing all they can to connect and network where they can with the decision makers of their future employers? Are they positioning themselves as experts in what they do? Or do they just want everything on a plate for them?
  • Options
    It's all about 'Talent Acquisition' these days. You'll find that large companies will contract a consultancy to source all their vacancies. They even will use that company's email addresses and say they are working for them. It does save the company all the CV reviewing and initial interviews.
  • Options
    I was an IT Recruitment Consultant for 2 years for one of the biggest firms in the world.

It is very hard work - infact I don't think you'll find harder 'office' based work than recruiting. Start at 7.30AM and finish between 6.30PM-7PM.

The company I worked for was a good one and I made a lot of friends, however that was balanced out by the relentless mentality that came with it. Very rarely are you given freedom to just enjoy your achievements. There is always pressure.

For the person with the right skills, you can make an incredible amount of dosh at a very young age.

Be aware, 50% leave the industry within the first 6 months. It is very cut throat.

99% of agencies will also expect you to tell lies, fake your identity on the phone to get leads etc. I was fortunate in that I worked for one which didn't employ such tactics on the whole. They started to creep in though when they acquired a competitor, and I left.

Willing to have a chat about it in a bit more detail.
  • Options

cross an estate agent with a solicitor and you have got a recruitment consultant. 99 per cent are absolutely useless in my opinion. When I was made redundant I registered and visited about 30 recruitment agencies covering my line of work and of those consultants I'd recommend 2 to a friend and 28 to my enemies. About as much use as a chocolate teapot most of them.

Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Jodaius said:

I'd look closer to the accountancy firms who obviously don't have the attraction and recruitment strategy in place to deliver candidates direct to them. Or they are just lazy.

That's not applicable to one industry either, there are many 'big' companies who simply don't 'get' recruitment and what in entails from the start to the end of the process - this is why they need recruiters because they fail in their own attempts.

Of course, it could be the jobseekers fault as well. Are they doing enough to get themselves in front of employers? How are they getting themselves noticed? Are they simply giving up at point of application? Are they doing all they can to connect and network where they can with the decision makers of their future employers? Are they positioning themselves as experts in what they do? Or do they just want everything on a plate for them?
    Absolute tosh.

The problem is that recruitment consultancies have spent years and loads of money managing to convince big companies that they don't 'get' recruitment and that they therefore need 'help'. This seems to be the only area in which they've had any real success. What did these companies used to do before the consultancies came along?

I agree that there is an element of laziness on behalf of the companies. However, as for what the jobseekers can do, the truth is really very little. Generally speaking, a vacancy comes up, the company goes straight to a consultant, and the position will never even be advertised externally or directly by the company. Yes, there is nothing to stop jobseekers making speculative applications, but this is very time-consuming and inefficient, especially in today's depressed job market.

Personally I happen to believe that one of the biggest problems in this country at the moment is that people spend all of their time 'connecting and networking' rather than getting on with the job they are paid to do. Call me old fashioned, but I am a firm believer in rewarding good performance, not general brown-nosing or faffing about trying to make yourself look good. Sadly, many others now disagree, and recruitment consultants have had not a small hand in this.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Scum of the earth

Personally think they are robbing bastards. One sent me a CV of someone who was already on my radar and when I subsequently employed him they tried to get me to pay them 22% of his salary.

I detest the fact that they place an employee, charge a ridiculous fee and then phone that person a year later and try to get them to move. My wife gets a call every couple of months from the ones who placed her 6 years ago despite her telling them she is not looking to move

They tend to not listen to any requirements and just chuck me CV's that are completely irrelevant

I think I have made my feelings known. Sorry for anyone on here in recruitment but I am not a fan

If they are so bad, don't use any
  • Options

• Options

30 years of contracting in IT and I rarely found a Pimp I could trust. Early days you did tend to have a face to face relationship with these slippery feckers but due to the nature of the business you made sure you got your invoice in and paid asap because these companies went down faster than Monica Lewinsky in the Oval Office. Once the big agencies started to dominate the market and the Internet invaded our lives the game changed beyond all recognition and not for the better either. Now as well as the back stabbing slippery shenanigans, you get a corporate fuck over of incompetence as well into the bargain and that is without all the mindless legal, arse covering paperwork just to start a contract...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Swisdom said:

Scum of the earth

What a pleasant post. Arent you also the bloke that thinks Fireman are Scum?

Dazzler, im a recruitment consultant. It all depends on what company you work for. If you work for say, Reed, they monitor the amount of calls etc that you make. If your not pulling your weight and getting in the numbers then they will just get rid.

Luckily, i work for a relaxed company and its more to do with building up a good relationship with your clients and knowing the industry.

There is potential to earn a shit load of money, BUT you have to be patient. It seems a lot of people are out of work but cant be f*cked to go to interviews/trials and make up any old crap to get out of it.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Personally I don't like double glazing salesmen - If I wanted double glazing I would do my own sourcing, negotiate quality, price and installation with both the supplier and the fitter and then project manage.

They are so bad, I don't use them.
  • Options
    Blimey, after all these years it looks like Lifers have found a profession they have less time for than public sector employees...hurrah for the recruiters!

:-)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    "If they are so bad, don't use any"

Not that straightforward. Where I work (for example) you have to go through a particular agency.

Funny enough I have just had one on the phone to me offering some job (supposedly).
    What a complete tosser he was.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2013
    Jodaius said:

WSS said:

Jodaius said:

Absolute tosh.

The problem is that recruitment consultancies have spent years and loads of money managing to convince big companies that they don't 'get' recruitment and that they therefore need 'help'. This seems to be the only area in which they've had any real success. What did these companies used to do before the consultancies came along?

I agree that there is an element of laziness on behalf of the companies. However, as for what the jobseekers can do, the truth is really very little. Generally speaking, a vacancy comes up, the company goes straight to a consultant, and the position will never even be advertised externally or directly by the company. Yes, there is nothing to stop jobseekers making speculative applications, but this is very time-consuming and inefficient, especially in today's depressed job market.

Personally I happen to believe that one of the biggest problems in this country at the moment is that people spend all of their time 'connecting and networking' rather than getting on with the job they are paid to do. Call me old fashioned, but I am a firm believer in rewarding good performance, not general brown-nosing or faffing about trying to make yourself look good. Sadly, many others now disagree, and recruitment consultants have had not a small hand in this.
    It's not tosh. I've spent nine years working in the recruitment industry (not as a consultant by the way) and a huge number of multinationals who you'd expect to have a fantastic recruitment function - don't.

They don't understand how the world has moved on. They don't understand where their target candidates 'are'. They don't know how best to market themselves. They don't understand the legalities of employment law. They don't know how best to communicate to candidates. They need consultancies or they wouldn't grow and/or retain staff. If you think that recruitment consultancies brainwashed some of the biggest firms in the world into believing this then you are giving them far too much credit.

It's not about making yourself look good (or better than you are) either. It's about positioning yourself as the best person for the job. I'd argue that a huge number of roles are stilled filled by "who you know" - this could be a recruitment consultant, somebody in the industry or just a friend.

I wish people would just think a recruitment consultants' role is to find people a job. Sorry, it's not. The clients pay the bills and the role is about finding people for jobs. Harsh? Maybe. A reality? Certainly.

Of course relationships are built with candidates who consultants believe they can find a job in the future but jobs don't just appear out of thin air which can be filled.

The lack of transparency in our industry is the worst thing, I just wish that some of the consultants were a lot more honest about what people can expect in the current market. Clients and candidates alike.

• Options
    I'm a recruitment consultant, I guess. Albeit on my own and in a very specialised area (marketing/marcomms)

Valley Gary and WSS are absolutely right.

The only other thing I'd add is that I generally only get paid on a success basis. That means when I find the right candidate and that candidate starts. I could do a lot of work and then the client finds a candidate from somewhere else. Client owes me nothing. My tough luck. And if my candidate doesnt work out, the company may not use me again.

How many of you would work under those conditions?
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Scum of the earth

What a pleasant post. Arent you also the bloke that thinks Fireman are Scum?

Dazzler, im a recruitment consultant. It all depends on what company you work for. If you work for say, Reed, they monitor the amount of calls etc that you make. If your not pulling your weight and getting in the numbers then they will just get rid.

Luckily, i work for a relaxed company and its more to do with building up a good relationship with your clients and knowing the industry.

There is potential to earn a shit load of money, BUT you have to be patient. It seems a lot of people are out of work but cant be f*cked to go to interviews/trials and make up any old crap to get out of it.

Barrington James are the company I am currently in contact with. They have roles in Medical or Health and Fitness.

My goal is a career not a quick buck.

I'm a recruitment consultant, I guess. Albeit on my own and in a very specialised area (marketing/marcomms)

Valley Gary and WSS are absolutely right.

The only other thing I'd add is that I generally only get paid on a success basis. That means when I find the right candidate and that candidate starts. I could do a lot of work and then the client finds a candidate from somewhere else. Client owes me nothing. My tough luck. And if my candidate doesnt work out, the company may not use me again.

How many of you would work under those conditions?

As there is a basic salary under the role, I wouldn't mind the challenge. I seem to excel at my current job in a stress filled environment.
  • Options
    and to those that have asked if i can send my details, do you have an email address i can sling my C.V out to?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    double post
  • Options
    edited March 2013