Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Big Match Revisited

These have been enjoyable to watch, entire episodes from 70s and 80s, complete with dodgy fashions, interviews and pitches. The more obscure matches are more fun, as you don't know the results. Saw a 17-yr old Andy Peake scoring an..er..rocket against Newcastle. And us against Newcastle this week.

The little details are always interesting, eg how there were snack/choccy sellers wandering around the touch line during play. And Chopper Harris's ambushes...

Available on catch-up and similar systems, presumably 'live' on ITV4 at some point

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, great fun - watched that Leicester game that Peake scored in. And then, of course, the incomparable Brian Moore - doing the commentary and the show, basically by himself with basic graphics, no technology to speak of and still making the current mix of commentators, studio hosts and pundits look very second-rate indeed.
  • Options
    What i would like to know is did anybody ever ring him up on that grey telephone?
  • Options
    I watched the Man utd v West Brom game (1978 I think) what a game! And the way they quiz both managers at the same time!
  • Options
    My Tivo box automatically records it for me.

What I like is when I watch games where I have forgotten the score, so it can feel like watching it live.

A couple of months ago I saw a classic 3-3 Orient Brighton game and it literally had me out of my seat and also I'd forgotten that Martin Chivers played for the Seagulls.

Spurs are on quite regularly and it made me smile to see the 18 year old Paul Miller making one of his first appearances for the Lillywhites alongside other future Addicks Chris Jones,Don Mcallister and Terry Naylor.
  • Options
    Newcastle in 1979, gubbing us 5-2 at their place was on last week, Martin Robinson scored a beauty and the whole ground applauded.

Cue 15 years later and they are chucking stuff at Colin Walsh, leg broken, on a stretcher....
  • Options
    Just watched the Big Match Revisited from March 1983.
    Two things of interest: first a young Colin Walsh playing for Forest v Southampton; second a mention of Charlton losing to Boro and a bizarre clip of Derek Hales being booked for aborting his run-up for a penalty. Lennie didn't want him to take it and told Carl Harris to: he promptly missed!
  • Options

I watched the Man utd v West Brom game (1978 I think) what a game! And the way they quiz both managers at the same time!

A great match, check out Big Ron's casual racism at the end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTAMsgAdsII
  • Options
    Just watched the Big Match Revisited, Orient v Man U 1974/5 season. Manchester United starting that season in the 2nd division. 
    4 minutes from time the linesman get a strain and can’t continue so they get a replacement, from the crowd. He run the line for the last few minutes wearing a Man U sweat shirt, flared trousers and platform shoes. Everyone was happy for him to do this no complaints from either team. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. 
  • Options
    He'd be banned for life now. Running on the pitch with flares.
    👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼😂😂😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A great match, check out Big Ron's casual racism at the end... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTAMsgAdsII
    In 1978 the word "coloured" was used to describe what we now call "black". In fact it was a racial slur at that time to call someone "black". Big Ron was actually being PC for the time.
  • Options
    A great match, check out Big Ron's casual racism at the end... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTAMsgAdsII
    In 1978 the word "coloured" was used to describe what we now call "black". In fact it was a racial slur at that time to call someone "black". Big Ron was actually being PC for the time.
    The casual racism wasn't just the word he used to describe them, but that he chose to mention their colour at all. 
  • Options
    Just watched the Big Match Revisited, Orient v Man U 1974/5 season. Manchester United starting that season in the 2nd division. 
    4 minutes from time the linesman get a strain and can’t continue so they get a replacement, from the crowd. He run the line for the last few minutes wearing a Man U sweat shirt, flared trousers and platform shoes. Everyone was happy for him to do this no complaints from either team. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. 
    In the early 70s the linesman was injured during a Arsenal v Liverpool match at Highbury. The game was on match of the day and Jimmy Hill was there, he was brought on and ran the line, a bit more acceptable than that utd fan at orient!

• Options
    In the early 70s the linesman was injured during a Arsenal v Liverpool match at Highbury. The game was on match of the day and Jimmy Hill was there, he was brought on and ran the line, a bit more acceptable than that utd fan at orient!

I remember that one. At least Jimmy Hill had a track suit on. This chap had took his jacket off, borrowed a sweat shirt and then off he went. Its its the platform shoes that got me, running up and down the line in them. 
  • Options
    The excellent retro football magazine, Back Pass, always includes a column on what's coming up on The Big Match Revisited. This series comes from the 1980-81 season and this morning's episode at 10:30am "focuses on the Division Three promotion race on 4 April when Charlton met Huddersfield. The Addicks were flying the flag for London, surrounded by a Yorkshire triumvirate of the Terriers, Rotherham and Barnsley. Division One action came from Leicester City and Norwich..."

A nice taster prior to today's game against the Tykes, although it will be available later on ITVX.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    The casual racism wasn't just the word he used to describe them, but that he chose to mention their colour at all. 
    Atkinson was seen as being progressive at the time, with three black players regularly in the team. Judging by today's oversensitive grievance culture is very unfair. Not excusing the comments that disgraced him later, though 

• Options
    Ha!  

People get SO defensive and tie themselves up in knots over this,  don’t they?  

Can anyone reference just one Brazil game in that era where the commentators or pundits referred to the players as “coloured”?  

Or even mentioned their skin colour at all?