Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rooney - 25Mil

13»

Comments

• Options
    Does fit that mould though - Beckham left out in 2003, Van Nistelrooy from the League Cup final the year he left etc.
  • Options
    Never been as good as people have made out
  • Options
    dizzee said:

His goal stats seem to suggest that he is as good, at least for his club. He may not be Messi or Ronaldo but I doubt there's too many other strikers in the top European leagues that would object to having his stats.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Rooney is a good forward. not so sure about him coming in deep and then doing these hopefull long balls across the field as if he's pirlo. he's skillfull but not that skillful or precise.

if he focused more at just being a striker he would do even better than he's done so far. keep it simple shrek.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

People generally slag him off rather than praise him these days I'd say.

All comes down to people's perceptions of the England team more often than not.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

He's very good. Only issue is he could have been so much better.
  • Options

if he focused more at just being a striker he would do even better than he's done so far. keep it simple shrek.

I think he'd love to do just that but he's constantly asked to play wide or deep.

When he did play up top he scored plenty of goals
  • Options
    MattD said:

Lewandowski in
    Ronaldo in
    Rooney out
    Hernandez out

United would be better off

Well, yes.

Except the figures will not add up to a practical plan.
  • Options
    MattD said:

Rizzo said:

£10m? Try another £40m on top of that. He has a release clause of 1 billion euros and there is no way in hell Real let him go for less than £100m.

He is 28 now, if he decides he wants to go back to Man U they would settle for less than that. Not to mention player power as the contract runs down.
    Nonsense. He is priceless. They paid £80m for him and he's even better now than he was then. Your £50m valuation is absolutely laughable - isn't that what Spurs have suggested they would want for Bale?!
  • Options
    Papers are probably desperate for a story and used the benching v Madrid as a good excuse to stir it all up again. Can't see them selling (even if he is overrated).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2013

MattD said:

Rizzo said:

£10m? Try another £40m on top of that. He has a release clause of 1 billion euros and there is no way in hell Real let him go for less than £100m.

He is 28 now, if he decides he wants to go back to Man U they would settle for less than that. Not to mention player power as the contract runs down.
    Nonsense. He is priceless. They paid £80m for him and he's even better now than he was then. Your £50m valuation is absolutely laughable - isn't that what Spurs have suggested they would want for Bale?!
    My valuation was 60m, not 50m. Whether or not they would actually sell him for that is a different matter, but a 20m loss wouldnt be bad at all for a few years from Ronaldo
    Bale is only 23. If you buy Bale you are getting twice as long service at top of there game. Good young players always command big fee's. (Rooney 30m from Everton)

Ronaldo also only has 2 years on his contract like Rooney I think, if he threw another wobbler about leaving Real would have to consider a big bid like that. Aint like he aint done it before.

Lewandowski also only has a year and a bit left on his contract and has said he wont renew. He is losing value to Dortmund every transfer window.
  • Options
    England's problem in recent years is that they've only had one "world class" player and that is Rooney (IMHO). You can't win competitions with that and you can't blame Rooney either.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

England's problem in recent years is that they've only had one "world class" player and that is Rooney (IMHO). You can't win competitions with that and you can't blame Rooney either.

I'd add Gerrard, Ahsley Cole and Joe Hart to that list as well.
  • Options
    Doesn't he earn £200,000 a week? Not many clubs can stump that up. Maybe Citeh, Paris, or a Russian clum if his missus would go there.
    Bale in...
  • Options
    If when you use the term world-class you mean 'Would get into a World XI' team then I really don't think anyone could claim Rooney would fit into that bracket.

Even though I hate the bloke with a passion the only England player who fits that description would be Cashley Cole.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Rooney isn't world class.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Rooney is not world-class, simple as that.
  • Options
    Well, that's told me then! :-)
  • Options
    He was at the top of his game a couple of years ago when he scored 30 odd goals in theseason. He is often out of position which doesnt help, he is still a top top player, but world class is slighlty pushing it now (he was during that great 18 months he had)

I would be very surprised if madrid sold the best player in the world in tge summer, unless it was for a ridiculous fee
  • Options

He was at the top of his game a couple of years ago when he scored 30 odd goals in theseason. He is often out of position which doesnt help, he is still a top top player, but world class is slighlty pushing it now (he was during that great 18 months he had)

I would be very surprised if madrid sold the best player in the world in tge summer, unless it was for a ridiculous fee

That's the point, isn't it? Where the hell can Ronaldo go from here?

Barca and Citeh are out, obviously, so he's left with Chelsea (maybe), PSG (not a great league) or one of the dodgy Russian mob.

Probably end up staying in Madrid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    About 2 weeks ago a guest sports journo on 5Live said he'd heard that a potential transfer of the summer would be Rooney to PSG. I didn't think much about it at the time but looks like he was onto something.

I can now see poor 'ol Wayne getting the Fergie silent treatment till the summer then flogged to whoever meets his pay demands.
  • Options
    Please don't start all this world class debate again, was tedious enough last time! Half the time when people use the phrase 'world class' they don't even know themselves how they are defining it.
  • Options
    If Fergie does sell Rooney it'll easily make up the wages for a Ronaldo return.

It's just whether they'd be able to stump up the 100m fee.
  • Options
    Read an article a while back pointing out Rooney's lack of 'core' fitness. Think that sums it up. His lifestyle and natural physique means he is behind the top bracket of players at the moment. Will score a lot of goals, but so would a lot of strikers in that Utd team. When the big moment came, Ferguson ditched him. Game over.
  • Options
    I honestly don't see him leaving Utd. He's been dropped for one game and everyone's overreacted.

• Options
    problem is a lot of people rate players via that poxy FIFA game on a playstation instead of watching games and making their own mind up.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

problem is a lot of people rate players via that poxy FIFA game on a playstation instead of watching games and making their own mind up.

A little harsh... FIFA, for all its bugs, it quite an incredible piece of video game programming, and while the database isn't as in depth as Football Manager, it's pretty extensive. As silly as it is to think a video game could teach you more about life than....well, life, I knew who Tevez, Torres, Aguero, Collocini and Suarez were long before you probably did through PES and FIFA. Could probably give you a few names to look out for now too! Players also know which foot they use, what their main strengths are, which positions they can play in... A lot of work goes into getting those player details right. Not to mention that fact that watching football and playing FIFA are, quite obviously, not mutually exclusive.