Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NBA Basketball

edited February 2013 in Other Football and Sports
I just watched (no sound) the end of a game between DENver and PORtland. I don't think I have ever really bothered watching a game before and admit to knowing nothing about it.

Odd game - the last 15 seconds took about 5 minutes to play out and the margin between win and defeat is minimal.

A score like 111 v 109 after (I imagine 2 hours of play) doesn't show a real difference between the teams does it.

Also, when you score the opposition then re starts the game about 10 foot from your own goal / hoop.

Peculiar.

Comments

• The timeouts at the end can be frustrating but overall I think adds excitement to the game as plays are made by the coaches. The opposition doesn't start 10 foot from your basket that's only after you take a timeout otherwise it starts at other end of the court.

nba is very exciting especially playoffs, if you want to get into it more I recommend you watch Miami, clippers, spurs, Oklahoma and New York as they are the in form teams at the moment.
  • edited February 2013
    Ok - sensible points and get that, but who can genuinely determine who is the better team if the margin of victory is so slight ?

It's not like getting smashed at home 2-0 is it ?

Edit - I don't want to get into it more (by the way)

Just interested.

• Blimey PL, you okay ?
    You agreed with someone AND you wasn't impolite !
  • "weren't"

Do one MOG - you'd have been a brilliant basketball player as it happens

;-)
  • If anyone's got ESPN, march madness starts soon which is college basketball. I have a lot of American clients and take part in a few of their "brackets". Well worth a watch.
  • PL54 said:

Ok - sensible points and get that, but who can genuinely determine who is the better team if the margin of victory is so slight ?

Just interested.

111-109 means Denver are the better team as they scored more points! when its that close its like a footie score of 1-0 say, you will get nba games won by 30 points which is a heavy loss and would be a 4-0 win in footie terms.

• I was watching LA Lakers playing a game a few weeks back on Sky, and was actually quite enjoying it.

Then a player came on who has recently changed his second name to "World Peace", and I just thought 'sod this' and turned it off.
  • Watched some of the Miami heat game the other night, they eventually won something like 140-130 in the 2nd period of overtime. Some games are decent to watch, another Heat game earlier in the week saw them 20 points up by half time then collapse and fall behind late in the 4th, before eventually winning.

Agree about the end of a game though, if it's close then the last couple of minutes can take about 10-15 minutes with all the time outs and fouls to stop the clock.
  • The good thing about basketball is that there has to be a winner, no draws. The skills on show are exceptional. If you haven't played the game before, try and shoot from 20 or more yards and get ball straight through the hoop. No mean feat to keep doing it shot after shot and that's what some of those NBA guys can do.
  • They are no more skilful than someone who sends down a serve at 120mph or pots a long red or has a nine dart finish.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:

I was watching LA Lakers playing a game a few weeks back on Sky, and was actually quite enjoying it.

Then a player came on who has recently changed his second name to "World Peace", and I just thought 'sod this' and turned it off.

Actually his name is Metta World Peace formerly known as Ron Artest. He changed his name in 2011.

Quite ironic really as he was banned for 86 games in 2004 for a on court fight. It's the biggest ever suspension in NBA history.

• PL54 said:

Just interested.

It's not the FA Cup. You have to succeed in a league format, and then go into the Play Offs (which are designed to avoid the pitfalls of our own play offs, in which the 6th best team could end up getting promoted), before taking part in the finals. If a team can win every game by a point and win the Play Offs, winning each game by point, before winning the best-of-seven games finals, they'd fairly be considered the best. That would be a heck of an achievement!

There's plenty of elements in NBA that football should learn from. Treatment of the refs, use of video replays, zero-tolerance of 'fights' breaking out and stuff.
  • cafctom said:

I was watching LA Lakers playing a game a few weeks back on Sky, and was actually quite enjoying it.

Actually his name is Metta World Peace formerly known as Ron Artest. He changed his name in 2011.

Quite ironic really as he was banned for 86 games in 2004 for a on court fight. It's the biggest ever suspension in NBA history.

Artest is a nutcase, ended up losing about 4-5m in wages because of that fight. Half the team was banned and a couple of fans were even sent to prison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4yYxXV5IdY
  • The most boring sport going.
    Go down one end , score,go down the other end , score, then down the other end, score, then 10 mins of ads and 5 mins to play the last 15 seconds - and people moan they dont want goal-line technology in football or DRS in cricket because it slows the game down !!!!!!
  • For those of you who understand the game and don't find it boring. The London Lions will be moving into the Copper Box at Stratford next season. They are currently playing at the Crystal Palace NSC after moving down from Milton Keynes (ironic or what). I've been along to a couple of games recently, crowds are growing to 1000 plus now, with lots of school/club groups attending and the standard of the British League is very good. Each club has a couple of ex-college players from the US, who failed to make the NBA. A good evening out, indoors during the winter months, for £10. It will be interesting to see if the fan base grows at Stratford.

How can watching athletes like Michael Jordan or LeBron James be boring? Dear me.

By the way, Metta World Peace aka Ron Artest is a proper nutcase. He's Joey Barton/Eric Cantona rolled into one.

• edited March 2013
    Tutt-Tutt said:

How can watching athletes like Michael Jordan or LeBron James be boring? Dear me.

Who?

They had Michael Jordan picture on Pointless the other day as 'famous baldies' - he had lowest score with 5 points (so, only 5 people out of 100 knew him), i think, - nuff said.

You dont highlight any reasons why its not boring.

• edited March 2013
    edit
    Go down one end , score,go down the other end , score, then down the other end, score, then 10 mins of ads and 5 mins to play the last 15 seconds - and people moan they dont want goal-line technology in football or DRS in cricket because it slows the game down !!!!!!

I wonder how many games u have watched?let me think probably 0.

• Tutt-Tutt said:

Who?

They had Michael Jordan picture on Pointless the other day as 'famous baldies' - he had lowest score with 5 points (so, only 5 people out of 100 knew him), i think, - nuff said.

Strange

I must admit, tbh, no, i've never seen one from start to finish, because mainly i've had to be woken up before the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• PL54 said:

"weren't"

Do one MOG - you'd have been a brilliant basketball player as it happens

;-)

How d'you know I'm not ?

I must admit, tbh, no, i've never seen one from start to finish, because mainly i've had to be woken up before the end.

Tutt-Tutt said:

Who?

Don't think I'll bother mate, you obviously have no idea what you are commenting on.

• edited March 2013
    Tutt-Tutt said:

The most boring sport going.

Tutt-Tutt said:

Who?

Don't think I'll bother mate, you obviously have no idea what you are commenting on.

tbh, i probably dont - its my opinion , but i thought the least you would do would be to highlight the plusses of basketball to try to win the doubters like me over - and youve had two goes now and still failed miserably - sortta says something to the many people who dont like it - is that the sport is shit.
  • Just wanted to share two videos, one player in the present, Blake Griffin, playing for the Clippers my favorite team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzVAIT13eWQ

And one of my absolute favorite players from the past, Scottie Pippen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tObgS6uUVjQ

I respect people's opinion about the sport - in my opinion it's great fun to play yourself as well as to watch

One of my greatest sports experiences was to attend a basketball game between the San Antonio Spurs and the New Orleans Hornets - watching the atheticism with your own eyes is different. Blake Griffin from the earlier video is 6'10 and a freak of an athlete
  • NBA UK ‏@NBAUK
    The NBA is coming back to the UK. On October 8th the @okcthunder take-on the @sixers at the Manchester Arena in a NBA preseason game
    Retweeted by fabrice muamba
  • Anyone stay up for the Heat game last night? An amazing match, Heat just didn't turn up early on and at one point in the 3rd, they were TWENTY SEVEN points down. Yet it was like they just flicked a switch and started playing and within 12 minutes they were in front and the winning run goes on.
  • Yes was INCREDIBLE
  • These guys certainly pass the Charlton Life height test.
  • Was literally about a minute or so from turning it off, then Battier hit a couple of 3 pointers and i stuck with it. Cavs just fell apart.
  • March Madness starts today. College basketball knockout with 64 teams. Pisses all over NBA.