Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Youth Team when I was growing up

I can't remember/not sure if I have correct names but does anyone remember any of the players below or what happened to them

Amato (GK)
Bacon - midfielder who played for the first team at Selhurst
We had an asian forward who was called something like The Vyn Nugen??
I remember a highly rated forward called Sam Appiah, did he play for the first team or play league football after he left.

Paul Sturgess played 50 odd times for us in the second tier and then went to Millwall, any ideas what happened to him after.

Any other boy wonders (not saying that any of the above are) that we had that were tipped for greatness but never made it?

Did we have a youth team player who got sent to prison for armed robbery?

Comments

• Ronnie Mauge...
  • Nat Amato is still working in his dads barbers shop on the green opposite Yorkshire grey I think.
  • That was around the time I started going. I'm not sure if The Vinh Nguyen ever played for the first team. I remember Linger, Tivey, Jermaine Darlington and Rosario Franco who scored the last goal at Selhurst in a reserve game.

I also recall some geezer called Dean Dye who we snapped up from Lincoln United (not even City!) for ten grand around that time. I remember more about the players and reserves from back then than I can about the last couple of seasons.
  • Geoff Thomas.
  • Rossi Franco worked in his family's ice cream van business after not making it with us. I remember recognising him in the Polo Bar back in the day and he was chuffed to bits.

Sam Appiah played a bit for Welling I think.

I remember Peter Evans too who played in the Soccer Sixes in 1988.

We had Rufus' little brother on our books for a while too.

The back of Valiant 500 has pictures of the youth team from the time-a couple had good careers.
  • Good thread. Remember all those names. What happened to Dean Chandler?
  • there was a midfielder think he was called danny waldern or owt simular was being hyped but never made it 92 93ish i think.
  • Danny wardrobe, a lot of hair made his full debut against bury at home in league cup lost 1-0, what an embarassing night that was, never seen again
  • edited February 2013
    Walden, Wardrobe is what we called him! :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Steve Thurlow
    Geoff Thomas
  • That was around the time I started going. I'm not sure if The Vinh Nguyen ever played for the first team. I remember Linger, Tivey, Jermaine Darlington and Rosario Franco who scored the last goal at Selhurst in a reserve game.

I also recall some geezer called Dean Dye who we snapped up from Lincoln United (not even City!) for ten grand around that time. I remember more about the players and reserves from back then than I can about the last couple of seasons.

Dean Dye had a terrible little tash. He was in a battle with Gorman over who would be back up striker.

What happened to Paul Linger?
  • Ricky Antoine was another name I remember.
  • buckshee said:

Ricky Antoine was another name I remember.

He ended up at Bromley for quite a while.
  • HandG said:

We had Rufus' little brother on our books for a while too.

That would be Marvin Rufus. He was in the same Addicks youth team team as me, Jamie Stuart, Lee Bowyer and Jason Tindall. We also had a ridiculously good looking lad called Lee Hodges who played for Plymouth professionally. John Cartwright was our coach and a bloody brilliant one at that too.

In all honesty Rufus was never likely to make it - he was decent but I think it was more about who his brother was than anything else.

• Nat Amato is still working in his dads barbers shop on the green opposite Yorkshire grey I think.

I went to a mate's party in Lee a couple of years back and another mate from up North said to me "this is Nathan , he's a Charlton fan too" . Should have seen the look on my mate's face when I told him that actually Nathan had played on the FA youth cup final!

Nathan always was a bit mad and still is.
  • Linger looked okay when he played (the Ipswich volley springs to mind) but suffered a bad leg break and never really came back.

I used to attend a lot of the reserve games at the Valley on a Monday in the early 2000s and Anthony Allman, Michael Turner, Dave Collis and a certain Lawrie Wilson were all regulars.
  • What about Danny Mills the 1st ?

Whatever happened to him?
  • edited February 2013

Nat Amato is still working in his dads barbers shop on the green opposite Yorkshire grey I think.

That's barber's been there for some time, I used to get my hair cut there over 40 years ago.
    Not sure which Amato was running it then, but Phil used to play for Charlton and trained us at School. Cracking bloke.

Think it was his brother that had the clippies.
    Edit... Tony Amato I'm pretty sure had the clippies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Mark Tivey - always looked okay in reserve and youth games, but never really got the chance step up. Think he played one game against Millwall.

Danny Warden is another that springs to mind, as well as Andy Salako. I thought both would go on to cement places in the first team.

My mates younger brother is Dean Kearley who was getting close to the first team when Anelka broke his ankle in a reserve match. That was the end of his footballing career.

That's barber's been there for some time, I used to get my hair cut there over 40 years ago.
    Not sure which Amato was running it then, but Phil used to play for Charlton and trained us at School. Cracking bloke.

That's right , Tony is Nathan's dad. Was once Greenwich borough manager as well.
  • What about Danny Mills the 1st ?

Whatever happened to him?

He was in that program on sky 1 - Dream Team. I've never watched it so no idea if he had much to do in it

• buckshee said:

Nat Amato is still working in his dads barbers shop on the green opposite Yorkshire grey I think.

That's right , Tony is Nathan's dad. Was once Greenwich borough manager as well.
    Small world. Didn't know Tony run Greenwich Borough tho'. Had the chance to play for them and turned it down.

He had an apprentice in the shop in those days, local footballer called Gordon. Beleive he's still a clippie in the barbers at the top of Eltham High street. He was a fews years anyway.

• What ever happened to BENJAMIN ODEJE. He was in youths in Seventies and big things were meant to happen. Probably before your time for most people
  • Mark Tivey - always looked okay in reserve and youth games, but never really got the chance step up. Think he played one game against Millwall.

blockquote>

I played a few times against Tivey and Gordon Watson when they were with Teviot Rangers, and was surprised to see Watson make the jump to a professional. Tivey used to run rings around our right back....Scott Maslen (Jack Branning)

• edited February 2013

Mark Tivey - always looked okay in reserve and youth games, but never really got the chance step up. Think he played one game against Millwall.

I think it was 7 minutes, not sure if that was longer than Karim Bagheri's appearance away to Ipswich
  • The Vinh Nguyen turned up running a chinese take away opposite my house in Penge about 12 years ago or so. He spotted my Charlton hat and mentioned he used to play football, he was amazed when I said "Are you Vinny?", well made up that someone remembered him. He had been coaching at colleges in the USA for a number of years, married an American girl and moved back to the UK to have a go at the restaurant business with his brother.
  • who was the nigerian guy who changed his name and then joined West Ham for a spell? Prob about 5 years ago..
  • who was the nigerian guy who changed his name and then joined West Ham for a spell? Prob about 5 years ago..

Danny Uchechi (?spelling). His other name was Chima Ordela or similar!