Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2013 Motorcycle Season

... Officially began yesterday in Phillip Island with World Superbikes. Meanwhile over in Malaysia, the MotoGP paddock prepare for their second full test of the year. Last time around rookie Marc Marquez was quick from the get-go, Rossi looked like his old self and Bradley Smith made it to within half a second of him on his debut.

I know there are a few people on here who are fans, anyone watch yesterday or planning to get to any races? I should at least make Brands Hatch a couple of times, the BSB season starts the first weekend of April. I still can't believe Tommy Hill is going to be doing track days this year rather than racing. Meanwhile Gino Rea is trying to raise funds on Twitter after one of his Moto2 backers pulled out at the last minute.

Comments

• Options
    Lovely stuff. The races were a little dull by WSB standards, but you still had 3 or 4 within a second at the front which hasn't happened in the Premier class for a little while. From that first snapshot looks like another Aprilla year - can't remember if I put Fabrizio in my MCN Fantasy team. Hope so.

Hope Rossi on a proper bike will make it a bit more exciting. The aliens are wonderfully talented, but not the most balls out racers. Having the grandaddy up front bashing farings will hopefully shake it up. Will be interested to see where Marquez ends up in the shake up. Probably the most talented of all the new crop, but an utter shit. Crutchlow will have another good year, probably having a good joust with his old team mate Dovi and Bradl/Bautista. Moto2 and 3 should be interesting with no Marquez and Iannone. Maybe Danny Kent or Scott Redding will make an impact. Surely Vinales will pull himself together and dominate the 3s, unless a young buck like Fenati puts a bit of pressure on him and he loses it again. Glad you reminded me about Gino, meant to sign up to help him out a bit. Good lad and can properly ride a bike in the wet.

BSB isn't as star studded as it has been and will miss the likes of Tommy Hill and Hopper. Fancy Lowes to really set about it this year. Definitely fancy a trip to Brands, great day and great value.

• Options
    Anyone see Cal get second, bloody superb bit of riding. First Yam home in front of George and Rossi, who had a little lie down.
    Scott Reading won the Moto2 as well, great result for us Brits.
  • Options
    The best day in many, many years for us at GP level. Shame Crutchlow looks like being shifted on for someone with a more favourable passport.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

The best day in many, many years for us at GP level. Shame Crutchlow looks like being shifted on for someone with a more favourable passport.

This.
    Can't for the life of me think of a works team with a vacancy for next year. But as Cal has said, if there is nowhere for him in MotoGP he would be prepared to look at WSBK.
    Hope not as he has the ability to win races.

• Options
    RedPanda said:

Yes it would be a shame, but MotoGP is not very well supported in the UK, we seem to prefer cricket? Oh how the Spanish and Italians laugh at us!
  • Options
    Will be a big miss for me last the olympics took up a lot of time

But the year before going around with the relentless super bike team and going around the pitts in the quad was a cracking way to spend the weekend

They pulled out of sponsoring the super bikes last year but i never noticed the gaps in the calender i will now though
  • Options
    Anyone keeping up with the TT? Just about to catch up on the Superbike race, have seen the results. Dunlop all the way it seems, though fair play to Josh Brookes for his debut yesterday.
  • Options
    Forgot about this. The abject tedium of all of the classes of MotoGP this season has really put me off, barely seen any BSB or WSB either. Normally I watch the lot given a chance. TT is terrifying.
  • Options
    I've been rubbish watching WSB and BSB as well. I've missed ITV's TT highlights but am watching here:
    https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/isle-of-man-tt/series-6/episode-7-superbike-tt-race

The Supersport and Superstock races should be up there shortly too.
  • Options
    Nice heads up RP. I forgot about the TT as well, some of the onboard camera footage is frightening.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Moto2 is good viewing at the moment. Scott Redding has won the last two races : the first back-to-back wins for a Brit in this class since 1971. Good to hear the National Anthem played at international 'bike events again.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link RP. Don't know if I'd really say Moto2 is good viewing compared to how it had been a couple of years back. A likeable Brit at the front, but all of the classes seem to have been dullified. Always baffled me why Bradley got the MotoGP ride when Redding looked the better prospect - I think the extra year in Moto2 will help his development.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Crutchlow on pole for tomorrow's race whilst Lorenzo most likely sits it out and Marquez is nursing a couple of fractures. Pedrosa also seems off the pace. Interesting, very interesting.