Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who would you keep ?

from this current team for 2013/14 if you had an injection of cash and an opportunity to rebuild it ?

Defence - Personally I'd keep the entire defence and Hamer despite some of his blunders.

Midfield - I'd keep Stephens as I think with better players around him he could still be a decent player for us but he desperately needs a ball winner alongside him and some players ahead of him who will make runs, with Kermit up front there's no outlet for Stephens to play that killer pass. Pritchard probably needs another year to grow. Currently the midfield is extremely lightweight with seemingly few options, I can understand that Powell is trying to beef it up a bit by playing Dervite but we wont need him if we have a solid 4 in the middle. I'm not sure about Jackson.

Forwards - I think I'd like to see BWP recalled up front with Haynes so we have some pace and movement. Fuller kept as an impact sub if he stays. Not sure about Kermit, we know he can be good in the air but to the detriment of playing decent football as there seems to be a tendency to hoof it. We were playing decent football for the first 10 games last season with Hayes up front until we signed Kermit

So far Powell probably hasn't really had an opportunity to buy the players he would probably like to. I think we will stay up, a mid table finish will be a creditable achievement but would like to see him given a chance to build on that

Comments

• Whole new midfield please.
  • How much do we have to spend ?
  • edited February 2013
    Hamer
    Solly, Wiggins, Morrison
    Jackson
    Kermogant, Haynes, Fuller
  • BWP contract ends this season?
  • Agree on defence although Cort isnt getting any younger. In midfield I'd keep Stephens and Pritchard. Jackson has only one season left I would think but would also keep. Wilson as a squad player. Rest are easily forgotten IMHO. Up front we have a problem. Fuller is getting near the end of his career and you won't get regular football out of him. Haynes is very fragile as we know. Kermit is our Jewell but won't he be 33 by the end of next season ? BWP is gone which leaves the youngsters. I think we need an injection of at least seven championship level players unless we want next season to be a re run of this. Where will the money come from though ?
  • shirty5 said:

BWP contract ends this season?

admittedly it doesn't look like he will stay but i'd like to see him recalled and given a decent run alongside Haynes

• Hamer
    Solly, Wiggins
    Jackson

Wagstaff, Wilson, Pritchard

Morrison. Cort if he can still do it at 34 or whatever he is.
  • Kermit is our Jewell

do you really think so ? i don't dislike him because I like the fact he plays with a bit of passion, but I feel there is a tendency to hoof the ball

• GK: Hamer, Button
    DF: Solly, Morrison, Cort, Dervite, Wiggins, Evina
    MF: Jackson, Pritchard, Stephens, Wagstaff, Wilson
    FW: Kermorgant, Haynes, Fuller

Obviously additions could improve the squad but I don't see any reason to get rid of the players above.
  • BWP up front with Haynes? Not enough strength up there. The ball would go into the channels and that would be it
  • Sponsored links:

• Up front and defence we are okay, midfield is where we lack no creativity, no left winger if we improve that area we'll win alot more games
  • edited February 2013
    Kermo doesn't hoof the ball up to himself.

Olewumo was blamed for the team playing long ball as well but it's up to the midfileld to pass it on the ground.

Both Yann and Big Chris are/were decent on the deck

I'd get a whole new 25 world class players in but we don't have any money and won't have any in the summer either unless MS and TJ can find someone to take the Club off their hands. Big "if"
  • edited February 2013

MF: Jackson, Pritchard, Stephens, Wagstaff, Wilson

its not additions to the squad that we need, we need better players to improve the starting X1 and a few of these would to possibly stay as the squad players. the midfield is incredibly weak when you look at those names
  • Kermo doesn't hoof the ball up to himself

yes obviously, i just said theres a tendency to start lumping it forward with him up front on his own.

personally not the sort of football that i like seeing charlton play, prefer two strikers making runs for midfield players

• I'd love a player with the mentality of Andy Reid. Stays calm and plays his game regardless of who's on the pitch for either side. Not too many of those knocking about though. On our budget and with transfer fees the way they are you'll get a lot of effort and not a great deal else
  • TO KEEP

GK: Hamer, Button
    DF: Morrison, Cort, Dervite, Solly, Wiggins, Evina
    MF: Stephens, Pritchard, Wagstaff, Wilson, Jackson
    FW: Kermorgant, Haynes

TO ADD

DF: Okuonghae
    MF: A strong ball winner, A standard central midfielder who can pass backwards sideways and forward.
    FW: Darren Powell
  • On our budget and with transfer fees the way they are you'll get a lot of effort and not a great deal else

a lot of effort would be a start :)

its just hypethetical really, "if" you had a chance to rebuild on an average championship budget

• CAFCdamo said:

Whole new midfield please.

This, with the exception of Jacko, who i would keep as club captain, squad player and start him off on the road to coaching

• I think we do tend to play hoofball when Kermy is playing - a bit like England when Crouch was playing. However,Kermy is tidy on the deck too.
    I think we need a little tinkering. Doesnt need much, maybe a couple of players alongside Stephens, and maybe a decent winger who would give an outlet - someone like Antonio. A midfielder in the Nicky Bailey mould (i wonder) would also be a huge benefit.
    So, there you go, Bailey and Antonio, and maybe some new impetus from a player on the way up from L2 or L1, such as Judge.
  • I fear Henry is right. Won't be any serious spending in the summer so maybe spending some of what we can bring in is the order of the day.
  • Sponsored links:

• What's my budget?

This is just like Fantasy Football. Do I have to pick current players too, or can I go for older players with a modern day value (eg Pele, Bobby Moore)?
  • edited February 2013
    Keep: Hamer Button Solly Cort Morro Wiggins Evina Wilson Stephens Pritchard Jackson Haynes Fuller

(Though I don't expect Solly or perhaps Fuller to be here next season)

Not too bothered: Dervite Wagstaff Kermorgant

Thanks and goodbye: Taylor Green Hollands Hughes Kerkar BWP
  • We definitely need a new keeper. A priority for next season.

The defence is solid with pretty good back up as well.

I like Stephens and Wilson and JJ is more than a decent squad player. Apart from that we are deficient in the middle.

If only Haynes could stay fit. Another striker to fill the void vacated by BWP would be nice.
  • GK: Hamer, Button
    DF: Solly, Morrison, Cort, Wiggins, Evina
    MF: Pritchard, Stephens, Wilson
    FW: Kermorgant, Haynes,

Sadly I feel Henry is right and next year could be an even bigger grind than this year. Barring new money arriving I would expect Wiggins, Hamer, Stephens and a few others to depart. Sadly like Boonie Tyler I feel we're 'holding out for a hero'!
  • LenGlover said:

Hamer
    Solly, Wiggins
    Jackson

Wagstaff, Wilson, Pritchard

Morrison. Cort if he can still do it at 34 or whatever he is.
    Morrison, yes. Amended.
  • Can I spend the money on a set in indestructible, space metal hamstrings for Haynes and a montage that starts 'we can rebuild him'
  • Can I spend the money on a set in indestructible, space metal hamstrings for Haynes and a montage that starts 'we can rebuild him'

Someone in South Africa was selling some running legs on Ebay. "blades" I think he called them

Someone in South Africa was selling some running legs on Ebay. "blades" I think he called them
    Lol - apparently they are not quick to put on though
  • redec - new centre mid and goalscorer, offload bwp, green, dervitte,hughes, hollands and kerker
    refurbishment - 2 new centre mids and goalscorer plus a proper winger - offload all of above plus stephens and jackson
    knock down and re build i'd keep hamer, solly,wiggins, morrison kermo and haynes although solly may be the only starter.

My bidding attempts where halted by a message that the item had been confiscated by the authorities.