Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Looking for sponsors

So I'm doing the Ride London-Surrey 100 in August, and I'm doing it for Cancer Research UK. I wouldn't say I'm the most natural athlete, so this is quite a big deal for me in terms of building up the fitness, and sheding the weight so I can get round the route in a decentish time, and not end in Royal Surrey in a mess.

I'm also doing it for CRUK, inspired by friends and family who have battled against cancer in recent years, I want to help CRUK work, so doing this 100 mile ride seemed like a good idea.

So if you do want to sponsor me, visit

www.justgiving.com/sachazarb

I know times are tight, so I and especially CRUK will appricate it massively.

Thank you!

Comments

• I'll sponsor you.
  • Rothko said:

So I'm doing the Ride London-Surrey 100 in August, and I'm doing it for Cancer Research UK. I wouldn't say I'm the most natural athlete, so this is quite a big deal for me in terms of building up the fitness, and sheding the weight so I can get round the route in a decentish time, and not end in Royal Surrey in a mess.

I'm also doing it for CRUK, inspired by friends and family who have battled against cancer in recent years, I want to help CRUK work, so doing this 100 mile ride seemed like a good idea.

So if you do want to sponsor me, visit

I know times are tight, so I and especially CRUK will appricate it massively.

Thank you!

Good luck fella, I'm doing it too. Have done Leith Hill and Box Hill several times before so know whats in store :)

What time you looking to do it in?
  • Hopeful around 6 hours, which if I can hide in a bunch and it isn't boiling hot I think I can do. Need to shed about two stone before the ride as well.

Any advice for the hills?
  • Get off and push.
  • Rothko said:

Hopeful around 6 hours, which if I can hide in a bunch and it isn't boiling hot I think I can do. Need to shed about two stone before the ride as well.

Thats pretty good. I done a 90 mile sportive last year at 18.5mph so I'll be coming in somewhere between 5-6 hours. The main worry is that there's another 20,000 cyclists doing the same ride so I just hope to got that everyone has been honest on their entry forms so that the organisers can let the quicker riders out first and let those that are really going to struggle take their time until they get swept up by the sweeper wagon! If the slow newbies end up with the quicker riders it'll cause absolute chaos.

The hills are nothing to worry about, they're really not. There's supposed to be around 3,500ft elevation in the entire 100 miles so its not going to be a killer. I done nearly 4,000ft of climbing last Sunday in 50 miles just out on the North Downs so its just about getting the miles in. Box Hill may be the iconic Olympic climb but its steady and reasonably gentle. When I rode it last year, I was so surprised it was so easy, I decided to go back to the bottom and do it again lol.

• The bit I'm actually worried about is the drag out of Wimbledon at 85 miles which will ruin a few people who are expecting a nice easier run into London.

But new bike arrives next week, so going to take it to Box Hill soon and get used to the ride
  • Just going to bump this up for the week day gang.

Thanks
  • edited February 2013
    I'll see you on the start line Rothko. I'm doing it for my cycling club (Dulwich) so I have a huge respect for those who are doing it for charity.

However I'm under 18 so can I still sponsor you? (yes I know you have to be over 18 to do the ride in the first place but I wasn't missing out on this so there might be a tiny error on my application form....)
  • tut tut ;o) , what kind of time you aiming for then?
  • Rothko said:

They have eyes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh gawd, that film was a bit much
  • Don't say you weren't warned.
  • Rothko said:

tut tut ;o) , what kind of time you aiming for then?

I'd like to say about 4 and a half hours but I think that's being a bit optimistic to be honest. So anything around in between 5-6 I'd settle for at the moment.
  • Well if they place people properly at the start, you'll get the time.

So anyone else wanna donate?
  • Yep - I'm in. Been there...had it in the neck lining (same as Danny Baker). Horrendous radiotherapy treatment - but now completely clear - largely thanks to cancer research I guess!
  • Brilliant, thank you very much, and I hope what I raise helps CRUK to keep up its brilliant work.
  • Rothko said:

Well if they place people properly at the start, you'll get the time.

So anyone else wanna donate?

Thats my major worry. I just hope the organisers actually use the estimated finishing times that entrants have provided otherwise its going to be chaos.

• It's run by the people who do the London Marathon, so they split the race there don't they?
  • Rothko said:

It's run by the people who do the London Marathon, so they split the race there don't they?

Oh is it? That puts my mind at rest somewhat.
    A lot of the Sportives I've done over the last 3/4 years are a complete free-for-all despite provisions of estimates.

• Plus I think if you're riding for a charity, you'll be placed in the mass start, but those on club entries will go to another. Don't think you'll see pinch points as bad as London to Brighton for example.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cheers Len!
  • And Kings Hill
  • Can I bumped this up, I know people might be tapped out after the Marathon, but I thought I might ask. Approaching £800 so far, aiming for £1000.
  • Hello everyone, heading towards £1,000 now, so who else is in?
  • Well 3 weeks to go, now over £1,200 raised, and still looking for willing sponsors to help out. Aim is to get over £1,300 and double the original target set by Cancer Research UK

• So what time's your start time? If I ride it, I leave at 06:16. I say if, I've suffering from a bout of PFPS at the moment and I've not been able to ride for almost 2 weeks now. Just hoping the rest will settle it down otherwise I'm going to have to pull out.
  • I've been disqualified due to my age. Quite gutted about it is an understatement, I guess it was inevitable really : ( .

To those still in it I wish you all the best of luck and hope you enjoy it : ) .

I did 80 miles at 18.5 MPH average speed to, was getting closer to reaching my target.
  • edited July 2013
    Only a few days to go to the ride, I've raised £1,499 so far, and if there are any last minute donors on here still hiding, you can still sponsor at http://www.justgiving.com/SachaZarb

I'm on a 7.50 start, so with the slow coaches!