Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Nottingham Forest|Championship|23 February 2013|Preview, Views, News & Line Ups

edited February 2013 in General Charlton
The Introduction

Harold Wilson, a Huddersfield fan, once said that a week is a long time in politics. Seven, or even three, days can be the difference between doom and gloom and unbridled optimism in football and nowhere more than in SE7 these days.

Preview Towers likes to take the advice of another great philosopher, Llewellyn Curbishley, who would often remind us not to get too high with the highs and not too low with the lows.

The Opposition

Nottingham (never Notts) Forest come to the Valley buoyed by a 6 - 1 thrashing of Mr Wilson's old side but that was their first win for over a month. New manager Billy "I'm too rude to bother returning a phone call when I've been offered a job as a Premiership manager" Davies will hope that he can restore confidence in a Forest side that has been in or around the play-offs for most of the season. Others will point out just how poor Huddersfield have been in some recent games.

Given the result the Tricky Trees are likely to field the same side which will mean Valley returns for Greg Halford and Andy Reid. We will stick our neck out and say that the latter will get a better reception than the former. The now tubby rather than fat Irishman continues to pull the strings in midfield and is a goal threat from set pieces and open play.

The Line Up

The truism is "don't change a winning side" but Danny Haynes made a strong case for The Addicks starting with 4 - 4- 1 - 1 rather than the 4 -5 -1 that kicked off at the Walkers Bowl The King Power Stadium. The switch to this line up produced instant results and Chris Powell must be tempted to give his flying forward a full game.

The Addicks certainly looked more compact and resistant with Pritchard, Wagstaff and Dervite added at Leicester. Will SCP drop one of these or JJ or Dale to make room for Haynes or even Fuller? A lot will depend on how Chris plans to stop Reid et al rather than just who is available or playing well so expect another 4-5-1 but perhaps with Haynes wide.

The back five pick themselves now that Wiggins has returned. Very hard on Evina but Rhoys seems to be the preferred option when fully fit.

The Prediction

Goals galore but only one point so as to keep the moaners happy. 3 - 3.

Comments

• Options
    2-0 charlton
  • Options
    2-2

Bit of a topsy-turvy one
  • Options
    1-3 to Forest (and don't get arsey, I am always wrong anyway!)
  • Options
    Head says 1-2 Forest
    Heart says 2-1 Charlton
  • Options
    2-1

A rare goal for Solly
    Kermorgant

Reid
  • Options
    4 or 5 nil to us. This is not a fantasy thought, moreso it is born out of a recent observation...I will reveal all if the score is anything like I've predicted.
  • Options
    2-1 to the Red and White Army (I am due a correct prediction)
  • Options
    We have a crap home record they have a crap away record, only one outcome 1-0 to the addicks. Leon Cort to get the goal winning me lots of money.
  • Options
    3-1 defeat. Terrible at home and we are far from safe in my opinion
  • Options
    1-1 on a schhhlaaggg of a pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Coming over from Wales for this - first home game of the season, looking forward to it. 2-1 Addicks.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Would love a win for the reds, but I can see that Polish lad knocking in another 3.
    FT 3-3
  • Options
    AshC said:

Coming over from Wales for this - first home game of the season, looking forward to it. 2-1 Addicks.

Yeah thanks for that! You travel all the way to London yet cant be bothered to just cross the border and say hi...I'm very dissapointed :)

• Options
    Both teams to score. Charlton without a clean sheet in 13, Forest without one in 11.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

AshC said:

Yeah thanks for that! You travel all the way to London yet cant be bothered to just cross the border and say hi...I'm very dissapointed :)

I was at Bristol City away if that counts ;-)
  • Options
    Gonna be tough a 1-1 draw will take us a step nearer to confirmed safety
  • Options
    This is a tough call. When teams adopt a cautious approach at The Valley we struggle and have been hurt ourselves. Teams that want to play a bit suite our play and formation. I think the result very much depends on Forests approach. I'm going for an entertaining and nervy 2 - 2.
  • Options
    AshC said:

AshC said:

I was at Bristol City away if that counts ;-)
    You're forgiven.

• Options
    1-2 forest
  • Options
    Haynes in for Dervite, Fuller off the bench to score the winner, 2-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wagstaff and Wiggins would be good and I like the idea of Haynes and Fuller providing neither of them gets too selfish. The getting to the bottom of why we are not good at home is still unresolved so it is always unpredictable . If Hamer and the back four keep their cool we will win as there is definitely a goal in us.
  • Options
    Comforable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    Absolutely no idea!! One minute we look like we can't lose and beat everyone, next we look like we can't lose but give away 3 points to whoever fancies them and then when I think we'll struggle we go and beat Leicester convincingly.
  • Options
    That tubby little leprechaun will probably be fit for this one and will be a decent bet for first scorer.

We need to close him down quickly and hopefully he'll run out of gas before our lads do!

I'll settle for avoiding defeat given our indifferent home form.
  • Options
    I have now moved into North Nottinghamshire and work with lots of Forest fans.......before Davies re-joined them they said we would muller them.....now they reckon it will be a high scoring draw......as for me...........3-1 addicks and I can enjoy going to work on Monday....lots of my work colleagues going down to the match.....just hope they have a disappointed journey back home.............match thread from 2 pm.
  • Options
    Billy Davies has reinvigorated Forest .... CAFC 1 v Nottingham Forest 1
  • Options
    Blind Bambi and I really do mean I have no idea. Total dejection after Hull and exhileration after Leicester. Ok then - I'm going for a tidy 2-0 win for the Addicks. Haynes and Yann again.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    It's a home game 1-3 loss.
  • Options
    I'd take a point but would prefer all three.
  • Options
    A rare, scintillating home performance with Forest not mustering a shot on target til the 86th minute.

3-0 Addicks!