Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonathan Obika?

edited February 2013 in Rumours

Comments

• Options
    He hasn't exactly cut the mustard as far as he's previous loans have gone but he's been in very good form for the Spurs U21s and the development squad. I know they still rate him highly.
  • Options
    Is he big, small , quick ?
  • Options
    Would welcome him here till end of season
  • Options
    I think he would be a good addition until the end of the season. If spurs could send andros tounsend with him that would be nice!
  • Options
    Not sure on this one. Would possibly prefer Smith or Azeez. If he joins will still cheer him on.
  • Options
    he scored against us playing for Yeovil with an overhead kick.
  • Options
    He also scored a few in the recent U21s game when they beat us.
  • Options
    Pricesless comment on that page in the Sun from the Aldershot Board to justify Dean Holdsworth's sacking - despite winning on Tuesday:

The struggling League Two club said: “The board felt the time was right to maximise the positive momentum of Tuesday’s result.”

So win or lose, there's always going to be a reason to get shot of the manager!!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Townsend is on loan at QPR @superchrissypowell
  • Options
    Heard a whisper Harry Kane was gonna be pushed out again into the championship and hoped it was us. Never mind.

Saw Obika at youth level a few years ago and was impressed. Not really kicked on from there though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dizzle said:

Townsend is on loan at QPR @superchrissypowell

Damn thats a shame! I feel we need a flair player in the midfield who can beat a man and create us a few goals. Although as BWP has gone, we do need another striker too
  • Options

Is he big, small , quick ?

6ft. Strong & powerful. Scored a hat-trick against Man Utd U21s last week.
    If you're after a natural finisher, would have thought Harry Kane would be a better choice.

• Options
    Can we have both?
  • Options

Heard a whisper Harry Kane was gonna be pushed out again into the championship and hoped it was us. Never mind.

Saw Obika at youth level a few years ago and was impressed. Not really kicked on from there though.

isn't Kane on a season long loan at Norwich?

• Options
    Spurs called him back three weeks ago.
  • Options
    Unless it is with a view to a permanent, there isn't much point
  • Options

This. We're likely to end up with a mid-table run-in that is perfect for blooding youngsters and seeing if they can make the step up. I'd rather this was our youngsters (Smith, Azeez, Harriott)
  • Options
    A spurs mate likes him and said he scores almost every game for their U21 side.

He's been on numerous loans, is never going to make it at Spurs, (even less so if they become a CL regular side), so surely has to step down a level. Good chance for him to impress.
  • Options
    Another Irish lad?
  • Options
    edited February 2013

This. We're likely to end up with a mid-table run-in that is perfect for blooding youngsters and seeing if they can make the step up. I'd rather this was our youngsters (Smith, Azeez, Harriott)
    but if we were to lose our next two and haynes picks up another injury we are back in a relegations scrap and wishing we got a loan in.

I think we need to strengthen before we are mathmatically safe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really wanted us to get Stephen Dobbie before Palace did.
  • Options

but if we were to lose our next two and haynes picks up another injury we will be wishing we got a loan in and back in a relegations scrap.

He has played over 100 league matches for his various loan league clubs and I liked the look of him when we played Yeovil.He also appeared in the Cup as a sub for Spurs ,I suspect Obika will also be playing for a contract as I can't see him making a break through at Tottenham.Downside he has played for both the Stripey Nigels and the Spanners.

So in some ways what is the difference between him and Azeez or Smith?

We seem to like ex Spurs Academy products. David Button ,Dorian Dervite and going back some years Johnnie Jackson.

• Options

Would be tempted to go further and say that unless there is a chance of him permanently signing / he is cover for Haynes, that I don't want him at the Valley.

A team that looks like it will finish mid table does not need a temporary signing (bar the above reasons) that simply wastes money & prevents our own youth having opportunities. Even if we end up in a relegation fight, I would only entertain the loan for the above reasons, as I would rather rely on the existing players.
  • Options
    Played for Palace. No thanks haha
  • Options

Spurs called him back three weeks ago.

Was the public statement.

The real one was Norwich sent him back, unimpressed.

• Options
    Richard J said:

but if we were to lose our next two and haynes picks up another injury we will be wishing we got a loan in and back in a relegations scrap.

He has played over 100 league matches for his various loan league clubs and I liked the look of him when we played Yeovil.He also appeared in the Cup as a sub for Spurs ,I suspect Obika will also be playing for a contract as I can't see him making a break through at Tottenham.Downside he has played for both the Stripey Nigels and the Spanners.

We seem to like ex Spurs Academy products. David Button ,Dorian Dervite and going back some years Johnnie Jackson.

The fact he has a lot more league experience, something that might be crucial if he needs calling upon and we are to stay up.

I'd love to see Azeez and Smith get game time when we are safe, but we arent. BWP has gone and with two forwards that are famous for getting injured CP might want to bring someone in who is eager to impress but with that experience, before the loan window shuts.

If he's been banging them in for the U21's lately, then now might be the time to bring him in.
  • Options
    Smith has a lot of potential, but is untested at Championship level, Azeez doesn't seem to have ever been a particularly prolific goalscorer on loan. Neither of them seem to have anything Haynes/Kermo/Fuller can't already do, and what we need is a pure goalscorer to convert some of the chances we currently fluff, Haynes will miss more games than he plays. I don't know if Obika is the answer to that dilemma but he will surely have a point to prove.
  • Options

Richard J said:

The fact he has a lot more league experience, something that might be crucial if he needs calling upon and we are to stay up.

I'd love to see Azeez and Smith get game time when we are safe, but we arent. BWP has gone and with two forwards that are famous for getting injured CP might want to bring someone in who is eager to impress but with that experience, before the loan window shuts.

If he's been banging them in for the U21's lately, then now might be the time to bring him in.

Actually Gary that was the point I was trying to make.

I suspect Obika would be available on a perm should he fit in so would become our player, so what is the difference between him and a Charlton academy player .I can see that the way I worded it could be read either way.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Smith has a lot of potential, but is untested at Championship level, Azeez doesn't seem to have ever been a particularly prolific goalscorer on loan. Neither of them seem to have anything Haynes/Kermo/Fuller can't already do, and what we need is a pure goalscorer to convert some of the chances we currently fluff, Haynes will miss more games than he plays. I don't know if Obika is the answer to that dilemma but he will surely have a point to prove.

To be fair to Azeez he has started 1 game.

• Options
    Richard J said:

Richard J said:

Actually Gary that was the point I was trying to make.

I suspect Obika would be available on a perm should he fit in so would become our player, so what is the difference between him and a Charlton academy player .I can see that the way I worded it could be read either way.
    Sorry, i read it wrong.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!