Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joe Root

What a find for English cricket. Looks like a schoolboy but the lad can play. Future star of world cricket.
Has scored at least 30 in every innings since debuting. Supports the Blades by all accounts.

Comments

• Have they any stands left to name one after him?
  • I think he has settled in really well to international cricket, reminds me in that aspect of a young Strauss, could have a real gem on our hands here, the back to back Ashes may make him.
  • The boy looks a class act.
  • Agree. The ashes have come at a perfect time for him - much like KP in 2005. Don't expect him to start the first test, but I'm sure he'll come in the first time there's an injury or a question over form.

He looks brilliant - able to score quickly or consolidate if needed.

Really looking forward to this Ashes. Loving the prospect of seeing Johnson, Siddle & co get put to the sword all summer.
  • The Aussies do have some good young fast bowlers if we can get clarke out early then we will win
  • The Aussies do have some good young fast bowlers if we can get clarke out early then we will win

But can they keep them fit?

Anyway we need to get past NZ first...

• the aussies "and this is what shane warne was getting at"dont know what their best team is ....but Joe Root what a player! ..its difficult to compare him to anybody ...he obviously has to prove himself against the best yet but so far so very good ...useful bowler too !
  • The irony is, that unless England use his bowling on a regular basis and don't discard it as they have with so many other "all rounders", he may well be the one to give way when KP comes back. Not saying it should happen but I suspect it will.
  • Agree. The ashes have come at a perfect time for him - much like KP in 2005. Don't expect him to start the first test, but I'm sure he'll come in the first time there's an injury or a question over form.

Really looking forward to this Ashes. Loving the prospect of seeing Johnson, Siddle & co get put to the sword all summer.

Why would he not start the first test? Did a great job in the last test in India and I expect he'll have the number 6 spot in NZ. If he continues to score runs then don't see who can replace him.

Fully expect our 1st Ashes test team to be: Cook, Compton, Trott, KP, Bell, Root, Prior, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Finn

Don't think the Aussies will be able to handle that!
  • I think we may see him opening in the test form
  • Sponsored links:

Their fast bowlers play as many games as Danny Haynes...
  • Has he got a South African accent ?
  • Sir Geoffrey speaks highly of Root and as a fellow Yorkshireman he should know.
  • Just seen the highlights. Excellent innings. He seems to have "the eye" for batting. Middles nearly everything, with beautiful timimg (apart from the one where he was dropped).
  • Crispy said:

Agree. The ashes have come at a perfect time for him - much like KP in 2005. Don't expect him to start the first test, but I'm sure he'll come in the first time there's an injury or a question over form.

Why would he not start the first test? Did a great job in the last test in India and I expect he'll have the number 6 spot in NZ. If he continues to score runs then don't see who can replace him.

Fully expect our 1st Ashes test team to be: Cook, Compton, Trott, KP, Bell, Root, Prior, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Finn

I don't think he'll have faced enough quality opposition at test level to start against the Aussies. Even if he plays all three tests against New Zealand and shines in them, the opposition is so limited that nothing will be learnt about him from that experience. I too see Root as an opener - if Compton has a decent series in NZ, he'll have cemented himself as Cook's partner - and I prefer Bairstow at five.
  • Crispy said:

Agree. The ashes have come at a perfect time for him - much like KP in 2005. Don't expect him to start the first test, but I'm sure he'll come in the first time there's an injury or a question over form.

I don't think he'll have faced enough quality opposition at test level to start against the Aussies. Even if he plays all three tests against New Zealand and shines in them, the opposition is so limited that nothing will be learnt about him from that experience. I too see Root as an opener - if Compton has a decent series in NZ, he'll have cemented himself as Cook's partner - and I prefer Bairstow at five.
    Bell has 5 secured. It's either Root or Compton to open and then Root or Bairstow at 6
  • Root is nailed on for the number Six position.Not only has he got all the shots he has a great defence and has a brilliant temperament.He is going to be a star for years to come.
  • Crispy said:

that teams spot on IMO. Bairstow, Bresnan, Onions, Tremlett and Panesar as cover, great squad.
  • I too think that, assuming nothing happens in the meantime, Compton will open and Root will be "six".

On another subject, I'm not sure that, if Broad continues to perform below par, I'd want Bresnan coming in as opposed to say Onions or Tremlett who are more likely to take wickets. That said, if he didn't, that would mean that Swann bats at 8 with three potential no. 11s at 9, 10, Jack.
  • Six batsmen are enough! Pick bowlers who take wickets!
  • Sponsored links:

• He's the best 'prospect' since Captain Cook arrived on the scene. The product of his own tenacity and ability of course but also of a super Yorkshire coaching system. J R can bowl a bit as well.
  • Crispy said:

Compton certainly has something to prove, but deserves the chance to open in NZ. If he fails there, then Root may open in the home series vs NZ?

The standard of Test bowling is pretty poor at the moment, the Aussie attack is nowhere near what is was...
  • The only thing the Aussies have going for them is their seam bowlers. Don't write them off, keeping them fit is their main problem. We should beat them comfortably as long as our batsmen deliver.
  • Bairstow has been unbelievably hard done-by not getting into the first XI. If Compton doesn't score well in the first couple of Tests I'd have him in. I'd probably drop Compton for the First Test, in fact. Bairstow was brilliant against the best bowling attack since Warne and McGrath retired. He needs to play as much as possible.
  • Was watching the highlights of last nights game and Ian Botham and Paul Allott were discussing whether Compton or Root would open - both said they believed Root would be the man. Great prospect - amazed by his coolness and application for such a young guy.And also can twirl a few off-breaks.
    Test team alomost picks itself with places up at just 6 and 8 for me. I have a problem with Broad, just doesnt seem to be able to bowl anything other than short, and seems 3-4 mph slower after his injury.
    So, team for me would be Cook,Root,Trott,KP,Bell,ANOther,Prior,ANOther,Swann,Jimmy,Finn - thats one hell of a team.I'm hoping that Tremlett comes back.

Yeah Oz have a lot of quicks coming thru but seem to be getting injuries all the time, would expect their squad would be...
    Warner,Watson,Hughes,Cowan,Clarke,D.Hussey,Khawaja,Haddin(prick),Wade,Siddle,Doherty,Maxwell,Starc,Hilfenhaus,Pattinson,Mckay
    Any i've missed?
  • I would have Tremlett over Broad all day long, he is a top class bowler and he wrecked the Aussies in the last series down here.

If Broad could bat properly again then I might change my mind but his bowling has deteriorated badly as well and Tremmers - when fit - is a real handful.

My team: Cook, Root, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Bairstow, Prior, Swann, Tremlett, Anderson, Finn.

Yes, that tail is long but you are effectively playing seven batsmen with Prior averaging 40+ at number 7 - if you can't score runs with that many batsmen you should not bother.
  • Swann's good enough to bat 8 in Tests. Australia have no top-class spinner and so the main argument against Bairstow evaporates. Tremlett has to play a few times for Surrey (or an overseas FC side) before he gets picked again. If Broad has gone the way of Bresnan (and he's a devastating bowler in his best spells, so don't rule him out) then I'd hope Onions might get another go. I also find it very odd that Toby Roland-Jones has barely got a game for the Lions. Of him and Meaker, I know who I'd rather have in my team. (James Harris, too - what happened to him?)
  • At this moment in time, I agree with Ormiston's team. How much cricket has Tremlett been playing recently and what are his bowling averages like?
  • At this moment in time, I agree with Ormiston's team. How much cricket has Tremlett been playing recently and what are his bowling averages like?

he hasn't
  • I would have Tremlett over Broad all day long, he is a top class bowler and he wrecked the Aussies in the last series down here.

If Broad could bat properly again then I might change my mind but his bowling has deteriorated badly as well and Tremmers - when fit - is a real handful.

My team: Cook, Root, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Bairstow, Prior, Swann, Tremlett, Anderson, Finn.

Yes, that tail is long but you are effectively playing seven batsmen with Prior averaging 40+ at number 7 - if you can't score runs with that many batsmen you should not bother.

it's a good team and the tail isn't that long, Swann is a decent enough 8 and Tremlett's hit a few fifties in his time.