Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

There's something about Powelly

Anyone else get the feeling we are on to something special with this man at the helm?
More than a smuttering of Curbs about the fella.Shows an abundance of Grit and determination as well as intelligence just as he did when he played the game. And when things look like they are starting to slip he manages to turn it around.

Exciting times.

Comments

• Options
    Won it for us tonight with an inspired substitution that took me by surprise.

Not my opinion, but that of James Scowcroft, one of the best summarizers on the BBC
  • Options
    He will be a great manager if people give him time

If he can't get time at Cafc he will only get it at Leicester

Fucking embarrassment that people can not afford to give this great man the time he deserves after the service as player and manger that this great man has given us

Anyone who doesn't agree is a clown
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    This team has that fighting sprit in them that we haven't seen in years, 100% effort and commitment in what has been a tough summer. Powell and his staff should be proud of that team they've put together and that spirit they have help install into them. Another proud night being a charlton fan
  • Options
    Pre match on the BBC Leicester station they were saying stuff like 'managers don't last forever', 'one day pearson...blah blah blah', 'would like to think that maybe Powell'.
    Very well regarded at Leicester, I wonder what kind of reception he got there this evening.
  • Options
    I effing love him.

And always have.

And always will.
  • Options
    I don't agree its about giving him time. He hasn't done anything wrong since he's been here. The only people who disagree are the ones who expect us to win every single game and don't understand all teams go on bad runs. Everyone who isn't an idiot knew it was only a matter of time before we start winning again and Powell will be a hero again.
  • Options

Fucking embarrassment that people can not afford to give this great man the time he deserves after the service as player and manger that this great man has given us

I agree and am still a clown.
  • Options
    I hope he stays with us & breaks Fergies record
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Well said. Anyone who thinks it would do our club good to lose Powell is wrong. Simple as.
  • Options
    Not to get over excited but he is the greatest man in the world! :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some of the stuff on here about Powell and his 'tactics' and 'bad substitutions' have been a fecking joke, I don't bother coming on here much after a loss because of the amount of bollocks being spoken by the usual suspects.

Powell, quite clearly, is a Curbishley style manager, pragmatic, cautious and mostly risk-averse (as you'd expect from a defender).

I mean, the equaliser Brum scored the other week was pure arse, a mis-hit shot bobbles across the box for a tap-in - a pure freak goal - and yet people on here gave Powell pelters for his 'substitutions' - sheer madness.
  • Options
    Yeah Sir Chris has that little bit of magic about him. This is his club and I think that he knows that too. Still very green in management terms but I truly believe he learns very quickly. Hope he gets the support he deserves from the board in the summer.
  • Options

I effing love him.

And always have.

And always will.

+1
  • Options
    He has always been the right man and just needs time to take this club back to greatness.

Good things come to those who wait.
  • Options
    He's been doing the job for two years. He gave the players at his disposal the opportunity to show they had the necessary commitment, attitude and ability to play for him and Charlton Athletic. He decided most didn't but kept the one who did in Jackson and made him his captain. He then took a huge chance in rebuilding the squad while also keeping a close eye on the infrastructure of the club. He bought in a management Team around him whom he trusted and valued. If he had got that all wrong then his management career was probably all over before it had even started. But it paid off. Last season we were tremendous. Not overly exciting. Not beating teams left, right and centre. But we were strong and committed and brave.
    This season he has been tested. He has had to cope with turmoil and unrest behind the scenes. He presents as a clever and passionate man who absolutely loves the club, fans and his players; who by the way would run through a brick wall for him. And we are doing brilliantly. This is a hard and pretty unforgiving league. Ad we are holding our own. Yes, he makes mistakes. Yes, his decisions sometimes confuse. But he is paid to make those decisions and live or die by them. Ad every decision he makes on the pitch and off it is for the good of the club and the team.
    And yet still some come on here to mock and criticise, to blame and doubt. Well, shame on them because he is the best man for the job by an absolute country mile and he deserves our total backing.
  • Options
    Makes me proud to have Chris Powell as our manager. Yes he's still learning, but he's classy and it shows. I think he's got some things wrong in the last three games but to be honest, I'm just a fan on a message board. All I've got is an opinion. I really hope he's given a bit more backing in the summer, I look at our recent past history and I look at what's happening at a lot of other clubs in this division and I think we really need some continuity. The way he's got the team working for each other and the spirit has probably given us half the points we've got this season.
  • Options
    A man I have total respect for and there's not much that would change that.
  • Options
    hopefully people will cut cp and the players a bit of slack after this result. anyone who has been to any amount of away games this season probably wont be totally surprised by tonights result.we havent looked out of place against anyone apart from forest.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

A man I have total respect for and there's not much that would change that.

This, he's charlton through and through.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Agree 100%. This team has the feel of the Curbs side a season or two after we returned to The Valley - bobbing around mid table but with a great team spirit and the togetherness to go the next step.
    Then Mendonca signed.
    Here's hoping the board are planning to pump some cash in this summer. If they do....exciting times indeed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, he is the man to take us forwards. He isn't far off now tbh - our team can compete with the best in this league - just a bit of fine tuning here and there required- that's all.
  • Options

Yes, he is the man to take us forwards. He isn't far off now tbh - our team can compete with the best in this league - just a bit of fine tuning here and there required- that's all.

All we need is a 25 goal a season man - a return of Darren Bent would be wonderful!

Our defence is fine, midfield a bit patchy and we have good big men in Kermy and Fuller up top.
  • Options
    There's something about Powelly?

Class, intelligence, hard work, fine tailoring and a whole lot more!
  • Options
    It's quite amazing how daft the game has got - was on another web forum a week or do back, and someone correctly described SCP as one of the longest serving managers with a Championship club...
  • Options
    How many really doubt him though - beyond a few well known loons who nay-sayed his appointment and are desperate to be proved right. Think it's OK to voice frustration or concerns ( I haven't personally but I don't take offence to those that do in a balanced way)......

Anyway I am 100% pro-CP always have been & always will be....
  • Options
    SCP is a special manager , he has definitely got this team playing to the max and I would put that down to his man management skills
    We don't deserve him and nobody does really
    A classy man
    Of course every manager makes mistakes but going in to minutae detail over every decision ,which is fair enough in this intenet age, shouldn't let the blind amongst us not see that he is one of the best things to happen to our club and if I was chairman I'd tell him the jobs his for as long as he wants it !

We're not worthy
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Agree 100%. This team has the feel of the Curbs side a season or two after we returned to The Valley - bobbing around mid table but with a great team spirit and the togetherness to go the next step.
    Then Mendonca signed.
    Here's hoping the board are planning to pump some cash in this summer. If they do....exciting times indeed.

I don't think Mendonca cost that much - hopefully Curbs passed on his scouting skills as well.

• Options
    I always loved Chrissie Powell as a player and couldn't be happier that he is now our manager. I hope he is for many years to come and eads us back to the Prem.

BUT - I don't agree with those who believe this squad is strong enough to challenge at the top of this league. We certainly need to invest in high quality players at centre back, left midfield, centre midfield and striker. Tonights win doesn't change that IMHO, although it does show what great character the team has.
  • Options
    Pretty sure when he has the right players he can make the right substitutions too...

...82 seconds for your sub to score after coming on the pitch isn't too bad... ;)
  • Options
    sm said:

Valley11 said:

Then Mendonca signed.

I don't think Mendonca cost that much - hopefully Curbs passed on his scouting skills as well.

Was 800k wasn't it. Quite a stash for us back then.