Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wenger -Are we nearing the end?

It's been a tough few days for Arsene Wenger, today former Arsenal captain Stewart Robson says that the sooner he goes the better and Nigel Winterburn said on 5Live that "no one is above the sack, including Wenger" .
There was a bizarre press conference yesterday, the full transcript here - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2280965/Arsene-Wenger-press-conference-transcript--Arsenal-v-Bayern-Munich.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

What I don't understand is this bit:

Wenger - : Look, I have been accused of not taking seriously the FA Cup on Saturday. I have won four times the FA Cup. Who has won it more? Give me one name.

Why didn't one of the journos just say "Fergie!"

He's won 5; 1990, '94, '96, '99 and 2004. Were they all too scared or maybe they just didn't know. Either reason sums up the state of football journalism in England.

Comments

• Options
    Finishing in the top 4 has become like winning a trophy for Arsenal.
  • Options
    heard a bit on the radio and he did lose it that's for sure which is a sign that the pressure is on. He has taken Arsenal as far as he can he needs to move on and allow someone else to have a fresh pair of eyes on the job. I do think the wage structure is their problem but on the other hand, unlike all other clubs, they run it as a proper business and live within their means and that should be applauded.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    So in the time Wenger has been a manager in England he was won the FA cup four times. In that time frame (according to you) Ferguson has only won it twice.
  • Options
    He definitely lost it yesterday. Someone asked him about Blackburn, he said i'm here to talk about the CL tie. So a German journo asked him about the quality of Bayern's defence, he replied and said i'm not here to talk about Bayern.

A great manager who managed a great side (the Invincibles) and was probably revolutionary in the methods he brought to this country, but his time is surely up. What other top side across the world would put up with 8 years without a trophy?
  • Options
    Also saw a stat yesterday that since they last won a trophy in 2005, his ex-players who've left the club since then have won SIXTY SEVEN trophies!!
  • Options
    funnnnnnnnnnnnnnny
  • Options
    Stewart Robson has been anti-Arsenal for years even when he worked for the TV station so I would take anything he said with a pinch of salt. A bit like Paul Walsh with us.
  • Options
    Why does Paul Walsh hate us so much Plaaayer?
  • Options
    When Arsenal had their unbeaten season Charlton finished 7th, Portsmouth 13th and Leeds were relegated from the Premiership.

Far worse things can happen to football clubs then not winning a trophy for a few years
  • Options

Why does Paul Walsh hate us so much Plaaayer?

I'm not saying he hates us but he never seems to have a good word to say about us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think I'm in the minority but I think he's doing a decent job still - ever since they decided to move stadiums, he's not been given the money and can't compete on trnasfers and wages at all - they've made a profit on transfers in recent years if I'm right, when even teams like Stoke have spent a fair bit. Yet he gets them in the Champions League year on year despite his best players deciding to leave to chase money/trophies.

I don't buy the 'he's got money to spend but won't spend it' thing, think to some extent it's a smokescreen and Wenger takes the flak for that.

He makes mistakes, and has a lot of average players (Squillaci, Santos, Mertesacker etc), but you only have to look at Liverpool to realise how much worse Arsenal could be doing based on wage structure etc.

Basically I think anyone else would do a lot worse in their current situation, and I think he'd do a lot better if honestly allowed to spend big.

• Options
    Ah ok , i know what you mean , just wondered why he was like that with us , perhaps he doesn't want to be accussed of being biased , or thinks of us as tinpot , and doesn't want to be reminded of us?
  • Options
    Hes has gotta go ain't he? Might be that they are only a year or so from getting a trophy back, but 8 years without one and he is stupid enough to start having a go at the press when being questioned. Arsenal is a huge club, and in that sense they deserve better than that.

They just have that routine season of 4th/3rd without actually winning anything.

You could say when curbs was at Charlton we had those routine mid table PL Seasons, but the thing about that was, we were punching above our weight.

Wenger created the further expectation at arsenal, he made them great, but now he's not living up to it and they are miles off from regaining their previous successful years.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Can't believe he's lasted this long tbh
  • Options

Think I'm in the minority but I think he's doing a decent job still - ever since they decided to move stadiums, he's not been given the money and can't compete on trnasfers and wages at all - they've made a profit on transfers in recent years if I'm right, when even teams like Stoke have spent a fair bit. Yet he gets them in the Champions League year on year despite his best players deciding to leave to chase money/trophies.

I don't buy the 'he's got money to spend but won't spend it' thing, think to some extent it's a smokescreen and Wenger takes the flak for that.

He makes mistakes, and has a lot of average players (Squillaci, Santos, Mertesacker etc), but you only have to look at Liverpool to realise how much worse Arsenal could be doing based on wage structure etc.

Basically I think anyone else would do a lot worse in their current situation, and I think he'd do a lot better if honestly allowed to spend big.

Think it's time for arsenal to make changes, but I agree with all of that.
  • Options
    Great manager just out of his time now IMO, i have respect for his philosophy & doing his best to not waste money on over priced players but times have changed in football.

The other big bonus as a manager of a "bigger" club, same goes for Fergie to be fair, he creates world class players, rather then just buying them all the time.

I think he could do a good job for France as manager, must be a good bet for when they next have a vacancy.
  • Options
    They should have parted ways last Summer. Change definitely needed there.

Sadly its starting to overshadow the brilliant job he did there.
  • Options
    He nearly didn't last long at all. Remmber Sky Sports News reporting he'd been sacked for having too many sweets in his pocket? Did Sky ever get punished for that or sued by Wenger? Some have never forgotten.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Arsenal is a huge club, and in that sense they deserve better than that.

They just have that routine season of 4th/3rd without actually winning anything.

But are they, really? Chelsea and City outspend them by a mile, for example - how are they supposed to compete when players like Silva, Mata, Toure will choose the money straight away?

Tey finished 1st/2nd when it was United spending and Wenger picking up the bargains, then since the stadium purchase they've spent a lot less and got 3rd/4th while clubs around them spend.

Why should they be challenging for the title? No one expects it of Spurs, who spend similarly? It would be so impressive if they were within that budget.

If he was given the money, I think he'd do a lot better.
  • Options
    Love it if he stays-----love it i tell ur-----love it.

Seeing him implode is sooooooooo funnyyyyy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would love to see Jose take over but he'd need 100mil to spunk
  • Options

Why don't you buy it?

Arsenal are the 6th richest club in the world, Gazidis said they have some 150m in the bank, they charge the worlds most expensive prices for matchday tickets, they've been in the CL for about 15 years straight and yet they've never spent more than £15m on a player.

He must have millions to spend.

• Options
    A job for Mourinho ?. Arsenal needs a strong manager. Arsene Wenger still talks a good job but has really lost all credibility.
  • Options
    I wonder how much they've still got too pay off on the stadium , and whether thats killing their ability to compete in the transfer market?
  • Options

He definitely lost it yesterday. Someone asked him about Blackburn, he said i'm here to talk about the CL tie. So a German journo asked him about the quality of Bayern's defence, he replied and said i'm not here to talk about Bayern.

A great manager who managed a great side (the Invincibles) and was probably revolutionary in the methods he brought to this country, but his time is surely up. What other top side across the world would put up with 8 years without a trophy?

No mention of the badge?
  • Options
    Whilst I agree it's time for him to go some of the vitriol directed at him by Arsenal supporters is quite disgusting and I'd be ashamed if it was us. To go through Jan an only buy a left-back seemed crazy and their is certainly money to spend if he wanted it.

There was a big fight in the Arsenal end at Brighton a couple of weeks ago when an 'In Arsene We Rust' banner was unfurled.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ^^^^^^ The death of Danny Fiszman and the 'sacking' of David Dein as well as a huge stadium bill have certainly impacted on the ability to spend on the team. I suspect that Stan Cronke (spelling) would like to see the team in trouble as it will possibly make a take over bid easier as the shares might get cheaper. The politics of modern football, Machavellian to put it mildly
  • Options
    I honestly don't think he's being given it. Why 'must' he have millions to spend - owners can take out money as much as they can put it in, would be interested to know the dividends the likes of Kroenke are getting.

Think Wenger's a club man and doesn't want to go, doesn't want to start a war within the club and so sucks it up.

Admittedly add up the fees and wages of Park, Santos, Djorou, etc and they could go to one or two quality players, but I think anyone else would do worse in the same situation.
  • Options
    Don't think Kroenke wants them to struggle, just think they he's happy with a profit and finishing 4th year on year.
  • Options
    They don't currently draw dividends, they never have.