Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fitness, any tips???

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2013
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Eat healthier. Exercise more. Job done. Think that's all it really comes down to really, but good luck and keep at it!
  • Options
    Melrose said:

DiscoCAFC said:

I am now starting to go out for a jog once a week which would last me about an hour. I am not a big fan of the Gyms as I normally like to get fitter and see a bit of scenery at the same time.

Does anyone have any tips of how I can get fitter?

Mix your longer jogs with some interval type work. this doesn't have to be HIIT (high intensity interval traing). In fact it shouldn't be, if you haven't a good level of fitness. It could be for example 3 mins moderate jog, followed by 1 min 3 quater paced running speed. Keep repeating. As you get fitter lower the ratio, i.e 2 min moderate to 1 min 3/4 paced.
    As you get fitter you may then be able to try some HIIT work. Example, 40 secs jog, 20 secs sprint, etc etc

HH is talking real sense. Generally interval training will burn more calories, thus more body fat. It's very complex the way the body uses fuel. It's known "metabolic priority". Usually (not always) the body will use carbs (glycogen), fat, protein in that order. However under most circumstances it will use some carbs and some fat as fuel. Rarely will it use protein/muscle unless glycogen and fat stores are severely depleted. Sorry to be pedantic Croydon, but actually CV work puts the body in a "Catabolic" state, not Anabolic. That's why most body builders shy away from CV work as they believe that there will be degradation to their protein/muscle. Weight Training puts the body into an Anabolic state because of hormonal response. This is an effective way for the body to burn calories/fat. Some P/T's (not me) actually don't advocate or do any CV work with clients).

Remember, diet is critical. It can take a lot of time/hard work to burn 700 or 800 calories. You can blow that all out of the window in minutes with poor food choices.

Anyway back to the point. Mix your CV work with some resistance work. Muscle is very efficient at burning calories/body fat. You don't need to have expensive equipment. Try some bodyweight work, Squats, lunges, chest press, pull ups etc. Compound exercises which work the larger muscle groups. Or go to a circuit class, or boxercise etc. If you want to, then buy some kit which is versatile. Perhaps a couple of Kettlebells.

In conclusion, one poster on this site said it made him laugh. Loads of differing views on fitness. Well it's like any other industry I'm afraid. To test this theory, ask your local gym instructor or personal trainer whether you should do CV work first or resistance work first (were you to do both in one session). They won't thank me for this, but you'll get some interesting answers. In opinnion, if they can't explain the reasoning behind any training strategies, then they probably don't know what they're on about.

Finally good luck. Though overly simple, sooner or later, calories in versus calories out (i.e. a clorie defecit) you will lose weight........Science

Should of made it clear that I meant during the recovery meal. This is due to the increased insulin sensitivity in the muscle,which results in greater levels of carbohydrates and amino acids being absorbed by the muscle leading to greater growth and muscle fullness. Same thing as weight training does but cardio improves a different GLUT receptor.

• Options
    DRF said:

JohnBoyUK said:

It makes me laugh how many different opinions there are with regards to fitness, fat burning etc.

Thats the thing. For all the science, everyone is different. What works for one wont work for someone else, its finding what works for you.

I normally have two rest days a week but cane myself in the other five. This week has been a bit different as I had Friday off work so I got another long ride in rather than a lunchtime run but this is how it has panned out.

Mon - 10k run
    Tues - 1hr turbo session on the bike before work...Gym session after work
    Wed - 9 mile run
    Thurs - rest day (planned around Spurs)
    Fri - 50 mile bike ride, Gym session in evening
    Sat - 64 lengths swimming
    Sun - 66 mile bike ride

Mon-Wed is pretty much set in stone, if I've got my daughter on a Friday evening, the Thurs rest day becomes a Gym session then I run 7 miles Friday lunchtime then I rest through to Sunday...when I either do a long ride or a long run, depending what I've got planned for later in the day. When the evenings get lighter, I'll swap one of the runs out for a bike ride.

I realise most arent capable of that and most wouldnt even dream of it but thats where I'm at.

3 years ago, I couldnt walk up the stairs at work without having to stop and I'd feel sick.

Two tips I'd give. 1 - find something you enjoy doing and you'll find you'll stick at it. For me, when I was a fat b@stard, that was cycling. It was a springboard. 2 - set yourself targets, some manageable, some not. For me, when I first got on my bike, it was getting up "that" hill without stopping, doing my first 50 mile ride, doing my first century ride etc. My nemesis hill was Brasted Hill near Westerham. Its a f*cker. Goes up at 25% at one point. Its not very long but it broke me every time. It just saps every little bit out of you. Took me almost a year and 8 attempts before I could get up it without stopping. Set yourself a target, tick it off, set a new one...and it goes on...and you'll get so much out of it.

Wow your entire life must be fitness.
    Sadly, pretty much true. I refer you to the singledom in your 30s thread. I reasoned that its better to be spending my time getting fit rather than wasting my life sitting in the pub. (The chance of sitting in the pub with friends would be a fine thing!) :)

• Options
    Should of made it clear that I meant during the recovery meal. This is due to the increased insulin sensitivity in the muscle,which results in greater levels of carbohydrates and amino acids being absorbed by the muscle leading to greater growth and muscle fullness. Same thing as weight training does but cardio improves a different GLUT receptor.

Good stuff Croydon, obviously know your fitness. Good luck with BB
  • Options

Eat healthier. Exercise more. Job done. Think that's all it really comes down to really, but good luck and keep at it!

(ahem)

It makes me laugh how many different opinions there are with regards to fitness, fat burning etc.

You say that, but all of them boil down to two things:

Diet - eat less crap, more good stuff
    Exercise - do more of it

• Options

(ahem)

You say that, but all of them boil down to two things:

Diet - eat less crap, more good stuff
    Exercise - do more of it

Sorry I didn't mean to be fraudulent! I didn't wanna read the whole thread but thought every was getting a bit carried away from what I read.
  • Options

Didn't have fancy gyms years ago, and people were in much better shape than nowadays. We've all got lazy I'm afraid and want some incredible instant fix, without putting much effort in.

could that be because peoples diet was better then? and people walked places?

The majority of posts on this thread don't suggest a quick fix without any effort. I think everyone has acknowledged that you need to put the work in. Its just that nowadays people exercise for leisure rather than necessity.
  • Options
    Hey guys, so after reading this I decided to do something. Whilst not massively over weight I want to lose some fat and tone up a bit without gaining muscle. Mainly on the stomach and chest.

I'm 29 and 6 foot 1.5 and weigh 12 stone.

I've done two days at the gym, think I pushed myself a bit too hard but wanted to know if this is the kind of think I should be doing?
    10 minutes on the bike- 100 calories
    10 mins on crossfit- 100 calories
    20 mins on the treadmill- swapping between running at 8-9 kph with a few minutes of walking on a 5% incline at 4kph
    also doing reps on the machines 12 reps on chest, biceps and lats.

For my diet I have cut out all drinks like coke, red bull- quit smoking. Also not drinking beer everyday. Only had 2 beers this week. Both on one night out.

Does that sound right to just lose fat? i dont really want to build muscle just want to tone a bit. I know yesterday my heart went to 180 and I felt pretty bad when i got home. Am I overdoing it??

Any advice you had would be amazing!
  • Options
    Tom. The key is not to overdo it (especially at the start) otherwise it turns into a chore. The key to exercise is to get into a routine of doing it regularly without making it a chore. I would say 3 times a week for 30/40 minutes is enough as long you keep at it. The exercises you are doing above sound ok for cardio and also for toning the body.

The other side of this is what you consume. At the end of the day you want to burn up more calories than you take in. Cutting out drinks like coke and red bull is a great start and quitting smoking is the best thing you could have done. Watch the beer because it's a classic weight gainer but remember, don't make it a chore so be balanced about it. A couple (a few) beers a week didn't hurt anyone as long as you're sensible about it.

Look at the sugar and calorific content of things. Try to cut down on red meat if you can. White meat is better (fish and chicken). Green vegetables are best. Fruit is good but not too much because of the sugar content.

You're only 29 so you're starting on all this weight watching/health watching stuff. It's good to start early though.

Well done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks Rob, that's great.

My diet would be something like this

breakfast 2 fried eggs on brown bread, cup of tea which regular milk- no sugar, a banana.

Lunch, a banana and a few slices of salami

diner, chicken and vegetable stir fry with brown rice.

My calorie intake is way less than I am burning, is that going to cause problems?

Thanks a lot for your help.
  • Options
    Scramble the eggs or poach them
    Change the banana for an apple
    Swap salami for chicken breast
    Add some leaves

Then that's a complete win of a diet
  • Options
    Tom. I'm not a hygienist or anything like that so I wouldn't want to give you bad advice but I would say that kind of diet is ok. A couple of things from what you've said. Tea without sugar is good. Watch the eggs. Egg whites are good because of the protein. The yokes - not so good because of the cholesterol. Brown bread is better than white. Try to gravitate to low/non fat mik if you can. Salami does have high fat content.

It's all about how you feel. If you feel ok with burning so many calories compared to what you're taking in then that is fine. It's all about listening to your body.

I mentioned above the importance of taking in fresh green vegetables. Not always easy I know. An easy way for me has been to buy a blender. In the morning I throw in an apple (core and all), half avocado, raw spinach, raw broccoli heads, banana, some raspberries maybe. Enough water to make it drinkable without being a sludge. And 3 or 4 spoonfuls of non fat Greek yoghurt for the protein. Usually there's enough here for breakfast (I also have some toast or cereal) and lunch (with half a sandwich or something).

Nuts are good for you. Almonds for example are known for making you feel full so this can stop the pangs of eating between meals. There's nothing wrong with a handful of nuts a couple of times a day. They do contain fat but it's 'good' fat so watch it if you're specifically trying to lose weight.

A few ideas that you can experiment with maybe. It's all about finding what works for you.
  • Options
    That's great, thanks for your tips guys