Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

david beckham

Comments

• Options
    Couldn't see him playing at Barnsley on a Tuesday night!

It's a winner for all parties involved.

Well done Becks.
  • Options
    Nice one Becks!

His motive for coming to France is probably to establish a French fan base before he goes into retirement, good move! Giving what he earns here to charity is just proof of what decent fella he is.

Taking everything into consideration, I'd say he's in the best top 3 England players ever imo
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Nice one Becks!

His motive for coming to France is probably to establish a French fan base before he goes into retirement, good move! Giving what he earns here to charity is just proof of what decent fella he is.

Taking everything into consideration, I'd say he's in the best top 3 England players ever imo

Heard a few people say this, when you say "best" do you genuinely mean in terms of his footballing ability ? If so then I just can't agree, I can think of much better players and just in my lifetime (Barnes, Robson etc) and I'd imagine in the all time list he'd probably be lucky to make the top 10.

But if you mean most iconic then I totally agree. Even at 37 this guy is still a huge draw.
  • Options
    Agree with those saying "Nice gesture". Hope it "says something to" some of the other multi-millionaires in football. Also - love his underpants (from H&M) - very snug!
  • Options
    the fella just oozes class
  • Options
    Beckham has been a very, very good player but in my lifetime of watching England 'properly' from 1982 to now there have been quite a few better players in terms of their talent....

1] Paul Scholes
    2] Paul Gascoigne
    3] Chris Waddle
    4] Bryan Robson
    5] Stuart Pearce

.....FWIW Ashley Cole and John Terry should probably be on there but I just can't bring myself to do it.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

Nice one Becks!

Heard a few people say this, when you say "best" do you genuinely mean in terms of his footballing ability ? If so then I just can't agree, I can think of much better players and just in my lifetime (Barnes, Robson etc) and I'd imagine in the all time list he'd probably be lucky to make the top 10.

But if you mean most iconic then I totally agree. Even at 37 this guy is still a huge draw.
    As a proffesional, on and off the pitch. Although I hate the term, he's a great "roll model" to any young footballer coming through.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

Nice one Becks!

As a proffesional, on and off the pitch. Although I hate the term, he's a great "roll model" to any young footballer coming through.
    Totally agree. And this is an amazing gesture by a top bloke
  • Options
    already said but that Greece game brings back great memories.

jealous of the man (although that jealousy hasn't affected my life to any great extent), great football career, v good player, alright looking, married to a Spice girl (wrong one), snappy dresser, played/lived in the US, now heading for France, pots of money, son whose in the Chelsea academy etc.... and he was friendly with Rebecca Loos.

what's not to like?
  • Options
    what a legend
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nobody has embodied the commitment for England that we all want to see like Beckham. He was flying over from the US to come on as a sub and play 5 mins against Kazakhstan, and he absolutely loved doing it.

True England legend.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Nobody has embodied the commitment for England that we all want to see like Beckham. He was flying over from the US to come on as a sub and play 5 mins against Kazakhstan, and he absolutely loved doing it.

True England legend.

I think a certain Terry Butcher might disagree with that.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

True England legend.

I agree, sure there have been more talented players, but as we all know it doesn't always come down to just that. Someone posted Barnes and Waddle were more talented, but did either have more influence on the England team than Beckham? Very debateable. Gave his all, dragged England further in competitions than they would have got without him in the team and never threw a strop when left out (at least not publicly). Did the same at Real Madrid when told he was surplus to requirements. Very decent bloke, be interested to see where his life takes him after his playing career, I have no doubt he will do something worthwhile with his popularity...UN Ambassador?
  • Options
    Chris Waddle helped take England to a WCSF and played in a superb Marseille team in the early 90s which did great in Europe.

I remember speaking to Johnny Humphrey at a POTY gig in the late 80's and he told me that Barnes was an unbelievable player, one of the best he had played against.

Beckhm was an exceptional crosser, passer and deadballer but weak in other areas.
  • Options
    If you brought Waddle or Barnes off the bench, it wouldn't have the same sort of influence on the team as Beckham. Nobody can lift a crowd like he can just by being there. He wouldn't even need to touch a ball, only truly special individuals are capable of that.

Personally I would love to see him given one last game for England - maybe for his final game, whenever that is.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

Nice one Becks!

Is that different to a cheese role ?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

Nice one Becks!

Is that different to a cheese role ?
    Lol
  • Options

Chris Waddle helped take England to a WCSF and played in a superb Marseille team in the early 90s which did great in Europe.

I remember speaking to Johnny Humphrey at a POTY gig in the late 80's and he told me that Barnes was an unbelievable player, one of the best he had played against.

Beckhm was an exceptional crosser, passer and deadballer but weak in other areas.

Totally agree however Beckham has won the English league, Spanish League, European Cup, has twice been runner-up as world player of the year and to crown it all has won the MLS with LA Galaxy ;)
  • Options
    Great player on and off the pitch but no way the best england player of his generation, Ashley Cole has to get that honour as the only England player to have been the best in the world in his postion for many years.

• Options
    Love him or hate him I don't think London would have hosted the Olympics last year without him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great gesture by Becks, I don't care which charity it goes to as it is helping kids all the same.

No negative spin here.
  • Options
    I admire David Beckham for the reasons stated above. I also think he's great in donating all this money to charity but for the simple reason that in doing so he's taking the piss out of Francois Hollande's (who I don't particularly like) measure of imposing a tax of 75%.

Let me explain:

Firrstly, contributions such as these entitle you to a tax reduction of 50%.

Therefore if you earn two million and don't take any measure to reduce your tax bill you will get taxed a hell of a lot. You won't get taxed 75% on all of it but you will on a very large 'tranche' of it (probably 75% of the last million).

If however you give one million of it to charity you will then get a tax reduction of 50%, therefore 500,000€ on the rest. In other words you'd probably get to pretty much keep the other 1 million.

If you hadn't given any money to charity you may well have ended up with very little more money at all.

I suspect that this is the main reason he's done it and if Hollande's plan goes ahead (which it probably won't because the government are beginning to realise that it's un workable) then I foresee others taking Beckham's lead.

I still think that Beckham will be worse off in giving this money to charity but not by any near as much as it seems. It obviously can't be an absolute winner otherwise others wouldn't be buggering off to other countries.

I don't know much about French politics but I have a lot of experience now in legally avoiding French taxes. In fact I've going to the tax office next week to calculate our taxes and various reductions that I've put in place and so maybe I'll ask the 'conseilleur' about what Beckham's done if they seem a down to earth person (unlikely ;-).
  • Options

It's a pity that Beckham's money is not going to BRITISH charities, charities in the country which made him a 'superstar'. Why this sudden love affair with things French ?

Giving to a British charity would not allow for a French tax reduction.

I'd just to state again that I'm not critising Beckham, not at all. Good for him for finding such a great way of avoiding French taxes which is virtually a national sport for anyone with any sense in France.
  • Options
    I've just looked this up and on a salary of 2 million euros you would currenly pay 806,000€ in taxes (Au total, avec le système actuel, une personne gagnant 2 millions d'euros devrait payer 806.000 euros, soit un taux d'imposition de 40,3% - http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/election-presidentielle-2012/20120228.OBS2489/impots-la-tranche-supplementaire-a-75-de-hollande-en-4-questions.html).

So on an income of two million euros, you get 1,194,000 to yourself.

If however you give 1 million to charity you'd get a tax reduction of 500,000, and so therefore only pay 306,000 in taxes.
    Therefore you'd be left with 696,000 of the other one million.
    So out of two million you be left with 696,000€

So, in giving 1 million to charity, you actually lose 498000€.
  • Options
    Mr and Mrs Beckham arrived at a shanty town I used to work in back in 2007, and they were absolutely fabulous.

DB has a superb natural way with children, squatting down to make eye contact easier and putting the kids and their overawed parents at their ease.

They left a donation which was enough to give the whole place free tankered-in water for at least 2 years, and pay for the construction and maintenance of two playing fields.

Yet I have never seen a news article about this, nor do we hear about his (no doubt) countless other acts of kindness and compassion.

Utterly fantastic bloke.
  • Options
    Top bloke
  • Options

It's a pity that Beckham's money is not going to BRITISH charities, charities in the country which made him a 'superstar'. Why this sudden love affair with things French ?

I'd just to state again that I'm not critising Beckham, not at all. Good for him for finding such a great way of avoiding French taxes which is virtually a national sport for anyone with any sense in France.
    I imagine he would avoid tax if he worked pro bono.

As it is he is giving it to charity.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

He's 'only' giving his PSG salary to charity. All the other marketing money will be his. On this he will get a tax reduction thanks to his charitable contribution. You need to read my posts properly. It may sound absurd but I guess you've never tried living in France!
  • Options

PL54 said:

He's 'only' giving his PSG salary to charity. All the other marketing money will be his. On this he will get a tax reduction thanks to his charitable contribution. You need to read my posts properly. It may sound absurd but I guess you've never tried living in France!
    I imagine he's giving more to charity than the average French man, or ex pat living in France; by value or %.
  • Options

PL54 said:

You're assuming he even pays his taxes in France.

Accept the good he's doing and stop trying to put your own negative spin on it.