Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ministry Of Sound to Close

It would appear that Mr Boris has the say on whether Ministry of sound will close due to a new residential development being proposed next door. If permission is granted then MoS could have their license revoked and be forced to close its doors.

Article in the Standard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhoP9gb4C-o

Comments

• Options
    This has been going on for a while.

I love the club, incredible sound system. The area is a shit hole though, and a drug dealer being decapitated there last year didnt help matters.

It's the only club in London where the top DJ's in trance & house (im not talking deep house they play in shoreditch) music go really. Be a shame to lose it.
  • Options
    First club I went to and haven't had a night out that good in ages! Drugs galore though...
  • Options
    This has been going on for a few years, will happen eventually. Shame as we've already lost The End, Turnmills, Matter, SE1 and T-Bar.

I'm more into techno but have had some quality nights in Ministry, it used to have my favourite sound system until they changed it 2/3 years ago.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

This has been going on for a few years, will happen eventually. Shame as we've already lost The End, Turnmills, Matter, SE1 and T-Bar.

....and The Cross, Canvas and The Key
  • Options
    Wish someone had started a campaign when Goochies closed down.
  • Options
    Was distraught when Turnmills closed.

'The Gallery' night at MoS was moved there from Turnmills.

If MoS shuts then there will be no Trance scene left in London.
  • Options
    You've got a kid now anyway mate, those days are long gone for you
  • Options
    That's true mate!
  • Options
    Good, cant have these youngsters enjoying themselves.

Now, where's miserableoldgit ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had a few good nights there getting the last train from Chelmsford and the first train back.
    I can't help thinking their time is up though but this is not based on having been there in years, just that the new generation usuallly wants something new and their own.
    Its one of the last places in London central to be updated so it was bound to happen eventually.
  • Options
    Absolutely no interest whatsoever in the place or the music they play there. BUT this is something where a compromise seems easy to reach, and the club is a London landmark, whatever I think of it. Hope it stays.
  • Options
    It's time a has been up for years . Full of tourists now and long since overtaken in the cool stakes by the likes of Fabric.
  • Options
    Fabric much better
  • Options
    I hear you DRF and normally that would be the case with the next gen wanting something different but with MOS its absolutely not the story. They have been incredibly good at moving with the times and their DJ line ups are a mix of massive superstar and cutting edge. I think they could be around for a long long time (given the chance)
  • Options
    They're too busy concentrating on putting out crap CDs these days. Have been for some time .
  • Options
    And lost flicks and zero 6!
    Goldmine?
  • Options
    Fabric is an awful place

Since ket has hit the scene people in places like Fabric have become even more strange.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

I hear you DRF and normally that would be the case with the next gen wanting something different but with MOS its absolutely not the story. They have been incredibly good at moving with the times and their DJ line ups are a mix of massive superstar and cutting edge. I think they could be around for a long long time (given the chance)

Absolutely.

They are the only club in the uk that can attract the worlds top DJs on a weekly basis.

It is 'full of foreigners' but that's because london has become more diverse and the club more famous.

Whoever it is that makes up the crowd, MoS is almost certain to have an excellent friendly atmosphere, something that a lot of east end clubs and raves don't have.
  • Options
    I'm sure they would just move somewhere else. They have been more about the brand for years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

DanDavis said:

Absolutely.

They are the only club in the uk that can attract the worlds top DJs on a weekly basis.

It is 'full of foreigners' but that's because london has become more diverse and the club more famous.

Whoever it is that makes up the crowd, MoS is almost certain to have an excellent friendly atmosphere, something that a lot of east end clubs and raves don't have.
    I said it was "full of tourists" not foreigners. The kind of foreigners that live in London are more likely to enjoy a decent club it's the tourists here on holiday that know little about real dance music that bother me.

Ministry wasn't originally like that but like most superclubs ended up like that.
  • Options
    MoS hosted a full packed out millennium dome for a new year party, if they can pull and entertain crowds of that magnitude then they could easily relocate.
  • Options
    They'll be fine
  • Options
    Sad news but expected tbh

I must admit that one trance night there back in the early 2000s which was called escape to samsara ended up withe totally mesmerised and naked on the dance floor under the influence of too many Mitsubishi s was the best night I ever had and one where the Dj got me totally I was absolutely lost in the music and in between the lighting I thought I was floating and only realised I had taken off every piece of clothing when my mrs started to drags to the side and put them back on

In the early days of attending MOS it was very reg occurrence that the group I used to knock about with in my youth to all put the dough in to buy enough pills to share and then walk home as we had no more money left

The walk from MOS to Woolwich after dancing for hours and totally fucked on doves is something I still think about now with real fondness

Didn't really connect with the old place on my last visit

Don't know if the pills are the reason or of the place has just sold that little bit too much soul

But one things for sure it was the best club in London for a real long while and will always be the club that I think of when I recall my Teens
  • Options
    Pills were brain gravy then nla
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    My raving days 1994-2002 are long gone but would be a shame to lose it
  • Options

MoS hosted a full packed out millennium dome for a new year party, if they can pull and entertain crowds of that magnitude then they could easily relocate.

Think they done it 3 years running.

Went to the first one, which was 4 days before my first CIMA exams. Christ alive, how I passed them I'll never know. Cracking night that was, crawling in at 8 in the morning.

• Options
    I thought it was only 2001 new year when they hired the dome? My hubby was there, not my scene but heard good things.
  • Options
    The last time I was at Ministry (for Defected In the House) I'd say it was 85% to 90% brits in there with just a small number of foreign types. Although I've been there for things like Roger Sanchez and it was higher for sure.

I remember the first time I DJ'ed there in the old loft about 4 years back......as I cued up the first track my hands were literally shaking with nerves. The thought of actually playing in a club so famous is a feeling I'll treasure forever.
  • Options
    I did the dome nye but it was 2001 not 2000

Great days think it might have been the year we had Arsenal on new years day, lots of wide eyes in the h & g that day